Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 3 Bad Fuel Pumps. Why?

Last April the Forum helped me determine I had a BAD FP, in my 96/LT4, with 2-3sec priming pulse at the connector at fuel tank, the pump would not run. Removed it and tested it..was bad! So, since that time I replaced the FP, TWICE!! All pumps were AC Delco. Each ran great for a few month, then died. All symptoms are the same. Well I'm there again. Vette won't start and I have the 12vdc at the tank connector for 2-3 sec...What's the problem? Looking forward to hearing from you!

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

With the key on the pump will only run for a few seconds and if the ECM does not sense oil pressure, it cuts the pump off.

Do you have the 1996 Factory Service Manual?
    Hib Halverson

Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    With the key on the pump will only run for a few seconds and if the ECM does not sense oil pressure, it cuts the pump off.

Do you have the 1996 Factory Service Manual?

Yes, I have the FSM. It doesn't run for 2-3 seconds when the key is set to ON, but I have 12 Vdc at the plug on the chassis side of the harness.

Corvette(s)
    1996 grand sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I am currently on my 4th fuel pump. The last one was in for only 6 months when it died When i removed it ,ALL THE WIRING WAS RUSTED OFF as well as the pump. This is all from ETHANOL gas. You ,like I probably let it sit alot. You need to purchase upgraded wiring for the sending unit as well as a pump that is compatible with E85. Then use ethanol free gas only. WAWA sell it. I had great luck with RACETRONIC. Just get a whole new sending unit. I think either Eclers or MID America catalog states that their unit is upgraded and resistant to ethanol. I have the LT4 also and no one believed that i went thru that many pumps
    Last edited by rhandle; 05-01-20 at 08:06 PM.

Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
    I am currently on my 4th fuel pump. The last one was in for only 6 months when it died When i removed it ,ALL THE WIRING WAS RUSTED OFF as well as the pump. This is all from ETHANOL gas. You ,like I probably let it sit alot. You need to purchase upgraded wiring for the sending unit as well as a pump that is compatible with E85. Then use ethanol free gas only. WAWA sell it. I had great luck with RACETRONIC. Just get a whole new sending unit. I think either Eclers or MID America catalog states that their unit is upgraded and resistant to ethanol. I have the LT4 also and no one believed that i went thru that many pumps
    Thanks for all the info...for some reason a didn't receive an email that you had responded. I was beginning to think I was the only person with this issue. I will take you advise and replace the entire unit and see how she goes.