$projecthp
  • Cooling fans run continuously.
  • Cooling fans run continuously.
  • Cooling fans run continuously.
  • Cooling fans run continuously.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Member Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    sonoma ca usa
    Posts
    956
    Corvette(s)
    2004 C5 coupe, MSGM & 2014 Cad SRX Crystal red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Cooling fans run continuously.

    1995 C-4, 31K. Cooling fans are running continuously. A/C is off, engine running at 197*. Checked for codes, none.

    Any suggestions? Thank you,

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, Mn.
    Posts
    260
    Corvette(s)
    86 Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Is this new or something that's been going on all along?

    Do they turn on as soon as the key is turned on? PO may have hardwired them to run all the time. Could also have frozen relays. Could have a switch that was wired in that's on.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    new port richey FL
    Posts
    86
    Corvette(s)
    93 polo green
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcbph View Post
    Is this new or something that's been going on all along?

    Do they turn on as soon as the key is turned on? PO may have hardwired them to run all the time. Could also have frozen relays. Could have a switch that was wired in that's on.

    I agree some of the relays could be stuck or hot wired, but also you may have a faulty A/C switch see if when you unplug some of the A/C switches if the fans will shut off. if they do let the car run but monitor the Coolant and see if the fans will kick on at there proper temp. But definitely give a good look for fan system being altered, or stuck relays.

  4. #4
    Member Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    sonoma ca usa
    Posts
    956
    Corvette(s)
    2004 C5 coupe, MSGM & 2014 Cad SRX Crystal red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Nothing has been changed regarding the fans, all original. The fans start a couple of minutes after the engine is started. Guess I'll start with the relays & go from there. Everything else appears to be normal. This started a few days ago????? Will check the a/c.

    Thanks for the replies.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    29
    Corvette(s)
    1990 conv. 6sp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    If the air is on both fans should run. Turn the air of if it is on. Wasn't a switch added by previous owner that you turned it on unknowingly ?

  6. #6
    Member Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    sonoma ca usa
    Posts
    956
    Corvette(s)
    2004 C5 coupe, MSGM & 2014 Cad SRX Crystal red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GWinter View Post
    If the air is on both fans should run. Turn the air of if it is on. Wasn't a switch added by previous owner that you turned it on unknowingly ?
    No matter the switch positions the fans continue to run.


    Thanks,

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    29
    Corvette(s)
    1990 conv. 6sp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    If I remember right the fans run when you jumper the OBD port to get codes, you didn't by chance leave a jumper on ? Maybe not applicable to OBDII which started showing up in 95

  8. #8
    Member Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    sonoma ca usa
    Posts
    956
    Corvette(s)
    2004 C5 coupe, MSGM & 2014 Cad SRX Crystal red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    [QUOTE=GWinter;1179671]If I remember right the fans run when you jumper the OBD port to get codes, you didn't by chance leave a jumper on ? Maybe not applicable to OBDII which started showing up in 95[/QUOTE


    ]The DLC is clear. Tks!

  9. #9
    Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    CenCoast CA
    Posts
    11,952
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    First, if any code is set or the ECM is in field service mode (serial line grounded with the engine running), the fans will run continuously.

    2) the question was asked earlier if the MIL is coming on during bulb check. Is it?

    3) if the fans come on after the engine is running, the relays are not "stuck" or "hot wired". My guess is the engine starts and runs for a few minutes but, as soon as the ECM detects a fault, the fans come on.

    4) if the MIL is not on at bulb check, you need a scan tester to read codes.

  10. #10
    Member Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    sonoma ca usa
    Posts
    956
    Corvette(s)
    2004 C5 coupe, MSGM & 2014 Cad SRX Crystal red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    First, if any code is set or the ECM is in field service mode (serial line grounded with the engine running), the fans will run continuously.

    2) the question was asked earlier if the MIL is coming on during bulb check. Is it?

    3) if the fans come on after the engine is running, the relays are not "stuck" or "hot wired". My guess is the engine starts and runs for a few minutes but, as soon as the ECM detects a fault, the fans come on.

    4) if the MIL is not on at bulb check, you need a scan tester to read codes.
    Will check your instructions this afternoon.


    Tks,

  11. #11
    Member Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    sonoma ca usa
    Posts
    956
    Corvette(s)
    2004 C5 coupe, MSGM & 2014 Cad SRX Crystal red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Will check your instructions this afternoon.


    Tks,

    Ses bulb check is OK. Ran diagnostics using on board computer. No codes.

    Am going to take it to dealer tomorrow.

    Want to thank all who responded your interest is appreciated.

  12. #12
    Member Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    sonoma ca usa
    Posts
    956
    Corvette(s)
    2004 C5 coupe, MSGM & 2014 Cad SRX Crystal red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Ses bulb check is OK. Ran diagnostics using on board computer. No codes.

    Am going to take it to dealer tomorrow.

    Want to thank all who responded your interest is appreciated.
    Problem was...a/c high pressure sensor skewed. Also had system recharged.

Similar Threads

  1. Cooling Fans
    By Crankpin in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-12, 09:17 PM
  2. Important! Cooling fans
    By surfer93 in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-10, 02:22 PM
  3. Electric fans run continuously
    By mjlisz in forum C4 General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-05-08, 11:26 PM
  4. cooling fans
    By muddywaters in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-02, 08:29 PM
  5. Cooling Fans
    By Timsred70 in forum C3 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-02, 11:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •