• Electrical / ecm issue????!!!!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    LNS88VETTE

Default Electrical / ecm issue????!!!!

STARTED OUT FINE, DROVE AROUND ALL MORNING, STOPPING AND STARTING; GOT HOME, TWO HOURS LATER CAR TURNED OVER VERY SLOWLY; CHECKED BATTERY HAD 12.3 VDC; CHARGED IT AWHILE STARTED UP BUT IS SEVERLY MISSING; TIMINGS PERFECT, NEW PLUGS & WIRES....NO CODES ARE COMING UP; BUT MY DASH IS GOIN CRAZY TURNING ON AND OFF ALL GUAGES ARE SPERATICALLY JUMPING UP AND DOWN MY AC DISPLAY IS REVOLVING GIBBERISH....ECM? IF SO ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN SEND IT TO HAVE IT CHECK OUT AND OR REBUILT???? OH AND WHATS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET TO IT; TIPS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT1 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Be sure the battery cables are clean and tight, it would be a good idea to remove them and check. It sounds like a ground problem--not the ECM to me. If the battery cables are clean/tight--use your FSM to find the ground points and be sure they are clean/tight.

LNS88VETTE

CHECKED ALL THE GROUNDS I COULD POSSIBLE FIND; EVEN INSTALLED A NEW ONE BETWEEN THE BLOCK AND FRAME.......STILL MISSING AND SEVERE LOSS IN POWER AND THE VALVES PINGING NOW!.....ARE THERE ANY GROUNDS BETWEEN BLOCK/ BELL HOUSING? NOTICED A VACUUM LINE (PLASTIC) THAT RUNS OFF THE PASSENGER SIDE OF PLENUM AND DOWN BEHIND DISTRIBUTER; ANYONE KNOW WHERE THAT TERMINATES @?...

Corvette(s)
    1989 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default are you really sure about the battery ground?

Quote Originally Posted by LNS88VETTE View Post
    CHECKED ALL THE GROUNDS I COULD POSSIBLE FIND; EVEN INSTALLED A NEW ONE BETWEEN THE BLOCK AND FRAME.......STILL MISSING AND SEVERE LOSS IN POWER AND THE VALVES PINGING NOW!.....ARE THERE ANY GROUNDS BETWEEN BLOCK/ BELL HOUSING? NOTICED A VACUUM LINE (PLASTIC) THAT RUNS OFF THE PASSENGER SIDE OF PLENUM AND DOWN BEHIND DISTRIBUTER; ANYONE KNOW WHERE THAT TERMINATES @?...
    I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, - sluggish starting and gauges going crazy - Checked and I thought everything was tight. Turned to the folks on this forum and they suggested a bad ground somewhere - I went to remove the battery as there are some grounds underneath it and found the battery ground was loose. Cleaned and tightened it and everything was fine again.

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

What codes are you getting?

Half a dozen DTC's will lead you to the harness that has the failed COMMON ground for those circuits...
    Never got a nickel for wrenchin', so I know nuthin'...

Get rid of your electrons. Be positive (+).

LNS88VETTE

no codes @ all and pulled the battery, had it load tested, it was bad; purchased a new one and still runs the same just turns over faster... so back to the drawing board i go..im currently going back over all my grounds as we speak (or i type rather); keep ya posted, no pun intended

Corvette(s)
    87 z-51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

no codes @ all and pulled the battery, had it load tested, it was bad; purchased a new one and still runs the same just turns over faster... so back to the drawing board i go..im currently going back over all my grounds as we speak (or i type rather); keep ya posted, no pun intended

be sure to locate and check the harness group on the block or bellhousing near the filter...4 or 5 wires in one stack, including the dash and ecm grounds.

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have 2 batteries working now that failed the 'Load test'.

1 failed a year and a half ago. The other failed 2 or 2 1/2 years ago - can't remember.

HAL 9000 did a better job predicting AE-35 failure.

edit:
    Re-reading your first post... You had 12.3 V, and it started, so you replaced the ground cable, then the battery.

???

Maybe the air freshener is stale?
    Never got a nickel for wrenchin', so I know nuthin'...

Get rid of your electrons. Be positive (+).

LNS88VETTE

ya, my air freshener was as stale as your response;............. voltage goes down, ampreres go up

Corvette(s)
    1995 Torch Red Z07 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

voltage goes down, ampreres go up
    Not in the case of a battery. Low voltage = low state of charge, which means the battery won't be capable of putting out all the current it's designed to.

LNS88VETTE

Well, after many hours the problem was solved, but not quit sure if all or just a portion of the issues were the culprit....when reevaluating my grounds (3-4) on the drivers side of the bell housing next to my 02 sensor i traced them one by one and found just one had broken inside the insulation and butt spliced it...she stared up and ran smooth, went for a test drive and had a severe lack of power, checked timing and was intermittently correct ( 2BTC); pulled my distributer found the a chaffed wire and a tooth missing off the gear.. replaced the distributer and all is running absolutely purfect...... thank you 4 ever ones help and input!!!!!!!!