Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    1986 Black Z-51 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default New Brake Light Issue

Alright, here we go again. I have an 86 coupe, So two weeks ago I had replaced both horns, my turn signal flasher, my ECU, Horn relay and turn signal switch.
    Heres the kicker.
    Now only my "5th" hatch brake light works when I use the pedal, but my 4 rear lights do not!!! My flashers work, turn signals work, running lights work. my fuses are fine, and the bulbs are getting power. Is there something I'm missing? They were working before I fixed the other parts listed above.. Ive had this car for 8 years and never had these issues until a month ago. need some serious advice, getting fix it tickets is unpleasant and annoying...
    E5 in USMC Advanced Infantry A.K.A. Recon.
    I kill people so you don't have to

Gone but not forgotten John Robinson's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Were you under the dash pulling wires and parts with all the work you did on the horns? If so you should go back and check that you did not accidentally pull on the brake light wire to the switch on the brake pedal. Also make sure that the switch is secure and will not move when pressure from the brake pedal is applied to it. Over time the plastic ears that hold the brake light switch for the brake pedal go bad and the switch will move.

Corvette(s)
    87 z-51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Were you under the dash pulling wires and parts with all the work you did on the horns? If so you should go back and check that you did not accidentally pull on the brake light wire to the switch on the brake pedal. Also make sure that the switch is secure and will not move when pressure from the brake pedal is applied to it. Over time the plastic ears that hold the brake light switch for the brake pedal go bad and the switch will move.

I agree with John...

go back and see if a wire pulled out of the brake lite switch or where ever you were working.

Rule of thumb, when a problem appears out of nowhere, go back to the last place that work was performed. 99% of the time that takes you to the fault.

I just went thru this today as matter of fact..

My car was getting a low volt code for the fuel pump, stalling, complete battery drain overnight, and being a PITA in general...

Finally found a hot wire on the fuel pump relay pulled out of its slot and half stuck in another slot, causing power to be "on" all the time, and sending voltage back thru the system in ways it was never intended...
    Thankfully everything works now. Thats an example of how easily something can get sideways. I remember pulling that relay plug off last weekend... just about the day before the battery went dead for the first time...