• Procedure to lift a C4 onto Jackstands

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    1992 Black Rose ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The C4 chassis has hooking points both in front and rear. You'll find them under the firewall and ahead of rear wheel wells and can be identified by seeing the slots in them for the chain hooks used on the assembly line. I rest that on the jackstands. Also, have jackstands with a groove cut into resting pad which allows this slotted chassis tab to fit snugly onto jackstand pad.

Corvette(s)
    1984 Two-tone Blue Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Alex94 View Post
    A service manager at a local Chevy dealership who also races corvettes told me that you can lift the whole one side by placing the floor jack directly below the side mirror. I used this method to lift one side at a time while I put jack stands under the car when I replaced the exhaust with a cat-back system from Corsa. I had the entire car off the floor on four jack stands. No cracks anywhere. When you don't have a lift you do what you have to do.

I have have a parts 84 Coupe which I am pulling apart at the moment, I jacked it up using the jacking point under the side mirror and it lifted the whole side of the car up.

mind you, it has no motor and gearbox, but I was impressed.

i have a bendpak hoist though, but my blue coupe is on it at the moment.

i am trying to work out how to support the black parts Vette, while I remove the diff and running gear. Plan is to drop it on castors later.

thought it might be easier to take the body off

Corvette(s)
    1993 Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Nice to know u can lift the whole side of the car directly below the mirrors. I have never removed the top or opened the rear hatch when lifting the car. I was surprised to see that mentioned in this thread. Anyway....nice post on the link that works.

Corvette(s)
    1994 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by mikesgarage View Post
    I work on a lot of c4 and I know when you jack any of these cars you must take the glass roof off, pop the hood, and raise the back glass.
    If not you could crack your beautiful glass top and destroy the rear glass too.
    Just being a good member brothers
    Thank you for the heads up on this!
    Thanks echo4golf thanked for this post

Corvette(s)
    1988 c4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default This link is dead. Can someone repost ?

Procedure to lift a C4 onto Jackstands

The question has been asked several times, and is answered well in the link provided. This has been around the forums for a while.

How to Jack Up a ZR-1

Corvette(s)
    1968 Mako, 1987 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Alex94 View Post
    A service manager at a local Chevy dealership who also races corvettes told me that you can lift the whole one side by placing the floor jack directly below the side mirror. I used this method to lift one side at a time while I put jack stands under the car when I replaced the exhaust with a cat-back system from Corsa. I had the entire car off the floor on four jack stands. No cracks anywhere. When you don't have a lift you do what you have to do.

You cannot jack a c4 corvette by placing a jack directly beneath the side view mirror. If you look under the car in that spot, the frame is covered by the painted valence beneath the door. If you look deeper in, you see the fiberglass bottom of the floor of the cockpit. If you place the jack there, the weight of the car will press the jack up into this fiberglass floor and can puncture your floor. If the Jack is further back, it will push up the floor under your seat and your seat will sit crooked (very annoying, trust me).

The picture in the owner's manual is vague, at best, and is really no help at all.

Others may have mastered jacking their Corvette, but I certainly have not.

I am am actually thinking about buying a hydraulic lift to drive on to, which will give me about 25 more inches to work underneath the car, but that won't help me much for brakes or for anything where I might have to remove the wheels. ...and a $1000 (Costco) tool just to mostly let me do oil changes is not very appealing.

I can jack the back end by putting the Jack under the rear end, but I don't know what to do about the front end.
    Last edited by Cowboy Kevin; 09-12-19 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12