Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default performance chip

I'm looking for a good performance chip for my 92 LT1. There are so many out there with different price ranges; can I get some feedback from someone who has a performance chip? What do you have, did it perform as advertised and what did it cost? Also are there any you regretted buying?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It depends on modifications you made to the car as to what works best.

Years ago, I bought a HyperTech Thermomaster chip for my then relatively new and stock 92 LT1. The best I can say about that is it eliminated the CAGS problem with my 6-speed. It set up the car for a 160 thermostat and lower fan turn on temps which I liked but I don't think it did anything else performance wise.

If you've done any motor modifications, a custom chip is the only way to go. Seeing that you are in MO, I'd recommend fastchips.com (Ed Wright Auto) in Tulsa, OK. After I modded my LT1 with new heads, intake and cam, they burned a chip for me that I was very happy with. Back in 2003, it cost me $350 for the chip.
    Tuna
    New avatar - my latest novel
    Antiques To Die For

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the info! Mine is bone stock right now; there's several chips by different manufactures, several on Ebay, that offer 35 hp gains. I'd like to see if anyone has actually used one before I try one myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If you buy an off the shelf chip, you will get minimal if any gains. Like Tuna says fan temps will be cooler.

I started logging and burning my own tunes. It is a skill that takes alot of reading and patience. There is good equipment, and software that will allow you to "play" if you will. Finding someone to show you how to tune, isn't going to happen. I can't tell you how much reading I have done.

The off the shelf chips have to be tame. I'm sure by buying one you dismiss any liability from the manufacturer, but if timing and fuel was too aggressive, potential engine damage could result. That is the last thing anyone would want.

So to make a long story short, I don't think an off the shelf device is worth the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Makes good sense, thanks. By the way, what kind of hardware/software did you use to be able to burn your own?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vetteboy86 View Post
    If you buy an off the shelf chip, you will get minimal if any gains. Like Tuna says fan temps will be cooler.

I started logging and burning my own tunes. It is a skill that takes alot of reading and patience. There is good equipment, and software that will allow you to "play" if you will. Finding someone to show you how to tune, isn't going to happen. I can't tell you how much reading I have done.

The off the shelf chips have to be tame. I'm sure by buying one you dismiss any liability from the manufacturer, but if timing and fuel was too aggressive, potential engine damage could result. That is the last thing anyone would want.

So to make a long story short, I don't think an off the shelf device is worth the money.
    How 'bout postin' up some before and after logs, and what you did at each mod... And what hardware/software you use...

Towu4free

Quote Originally Posted by valuvan2000 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Mine is bone stock right now; there's several chips by different manufactures, several on Ebay, that offer 35 hp gains. I'd like to see if anyone has actually used one before I try one myself.
    You have got to watch out for those 35 hp and 100hp gains! ever seen Billy Mays with Oxy clean? its one of those deals like these guys said custom tune seems to be the best bet i havent gotten one yet myself but am soon hoping to! another reputable one i have found is www.lt1pcmtuning.com he can do it for about $75 thats darn cheap! good luck man