Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    2007 C6 - Arctic White
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default L H Headlight Repair.

I have removed the left h/light from my 1992LT1, as it was not lifting or retracting properly. The GM Service Manual doesn't go as far as the motor/gear-set tear-down process, which I have done, and found the 3 Delrin bushings were totally zapped. Looking at the Mid-America/Ecklers catalogs (etc.) it seems that this is a common problem. Oh - and Richard Newton's great '101 Projects' book! I am currently waiting for the spare parts to arrive and am starting to fret about re-assembling the headlight: how do I ensure the motor runs to the correct 'fully up/fully down' positions, and then stops? I have decided to build a test-frame to mount the unit and test/adjust it prior to refitting to the C4 hood. Grateful any inputs from you guys if you have done this - I'd appreciate any particular snags to watch out for. (Obviously, I intend to reassemble in the exact reverse order of removal, in terms of shims/positioning etc.)

Tks in anticipation - J.C.

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

See my headlight sticky CF; pics are deleted

I got the pics saved in another computer; I can post them here later when I get on that machine... Read through it in the meantime...

Edit:
    I got the pics up in another machine here. There's 31 pics and I can't re-size them all to post here. PM me your email address, and I'll email the pics to ya'.

Or get the mods/admins here to tweak up the upload size for jpg format files. 122k is too small anyway. Sig's with 6Meg photos of your car is what needs to go...

Just my 2 cents.

Corvette(s)
    1972 Bryar Blue Coupe 1993 40th Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I did the repair on both units as well. If you are in a hurry the plastic plugs are available on a card at Advance Auto Parts. A few bucks as I recall. Just match them up as they are not specifically listed for a Vette, just some type of interior part.

As for testing I believe the module that drives the headlight motors senses the increased current load at either end of travel and automatically stops the headlights. No adjustment necessary as long as you put the parts back in the correct order. The roll pins through the shaft and actuator assembly are the most difficult and touchy.

Good Luck,

Mike

Corvette(s)
    2007 C6 - Arctic White
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Headlamp repair

Thanks for replies so far.
    Have today built test-rig with 12v.d.c. power supply etc. and await 'delrin' bushings....will let you know how the re-assembly goes in due course.
    (I think you are correct about the power 'switch-off' Mike: it seems that when the motor can't drive the system beyond the physical stop, the d.c. feed is inhibited. Current limiter? Not sure - my theory is a bit rusty - long time since I left Engineering College!!)
    Best rgds - J.C.
    (Have temporarily christened LT1 'One-Eyed-Jack'! Looks kinda strange with an aperture where a light should be)
    J.C.

Corvette(s)
    1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi Jack, No need for a test rig. Just assemble exactly the same way (in reverse) pop back in. Roger.