Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by G Winter View Post
    It says " closed with low coolant" The copper terminal opens the ground with low coolant.
    There is a "low coolant module" that works on the resistance it sees from the sensor to operate the coolant light.
    <10K ohms ; level OK
    >50K ohm ;low coolant

Corvette(s)
    1989 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

[QUOTE=k2bob;964086]Hey Guys,

Yesterday the low coolant light came on for the first time. So I stopped and checked the fluids in the radiator and the reservior. Both were good and the coolant looked like new.

First of all could this be a contaminated sensor or is it telling me that there is not enough coolant in the engine prior to thermostat opening? It did the same thing today and stayed on for a 50 mile trip. Coolant temps stayed at 175-177 on the highway and got up to 186 in town then back down to 177 on the highway. Return trip, no light.What do you think? I'm thinking it is a bad sensor. QUOTE]

I bought my 89 coupe new and remember there was a little slip of paper that came with it saying that occasionally the low coolant light would come on and not to worry, just monitor the temp and the light would go out. So, seems like it's a design/ manufacturing problem that GM never fixed...sigh. My low coolant light comes on occasionally, mostly after I've added/ replaced coolant, this happens for a few days/ weeks then it stops happening. That said your temps sound too low to me, it should have a 195f thermostat and the engine will run at 195 or thereabouts. Certainly mine runs at around 190 - 195 on a nice 70f day.

Corvette(s)
    1984 Z51 Silver/Gray & as Much SS & CFibre we find
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

[QUOTE=tonybabb;966706]
    Quote Originally Posted by k2bob View Post
    Hey Guys,

I bought my 89 coupe new and remember there was a little slip of paper that came with it saying that occasionally the low coolant light would come on and not to worry, just monitor the temp and the light would go out. So, seems like it's a design/ manufacturing problem that GM never fixed...sigh.
    Apparently GM still hadn't solved the problem by 2000 which was the LAST time anyone in our family bought a GM car! For no logical reason it did that on my father in laws 97 cavalier, our 98 sunfire and another 2000 cavalier. GM must have sent all the faulty vette sensors to the J body cars!
    By then English had been replaced and it looked like a glyph of "sailboat" that we'd hear my sister in law constantly complaining about. From what I recall it actually was recalled and then still didnt work right!
    And people wonder why GM whent bankrupt?

Corvette(s)
    1989 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

[QUOTE=CorvetteArchives;968105]
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybabb View Post
    Apparently GM still hadn't solved the problem by 2000 which was the LAST time anyone in our family bought a GM car! For no logical reason it did that on my father in laws 97 cavalier, our 98 sunfire and another 2000 cavalier. GM must have sent all the faulty vette sensors to the J body cars! ?
    I just came across the slip of paper - it was definitely from GM, not the dealer. Basically it said the low coolant light might come on especially after changing coolant. It went on to say that you should drive it through five (5) cycles of driving it and then letting it cool down completely - ie overnight. If the light was still on then take it to the dealer. I just put new coolant in mine - along with new cylinder head gaskets, water pump, valve job etc. Sure enough the low coolant light came on the first two days I drove it and hasn't come on since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12