Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What type of tire do you think I should choose?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eagle F1 GS in the original 275/40 ZR17

0 0%
  • Eagle F1 GS-D3 in the original 275/40 ZR17

4 100.00%
  • Eagle F1 GS All Season in the original 275/40 ZR17

0 0%
  • Eagle F1 Supercar in 265/40 ZR17

0 0%
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Time to Re-Tire !

Can I put Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 265/40 ZR17 tires on a 275/40 ZR17 rim?

I have an opportunity to get a set of Goodyear tires for my '89.

Should I choose the Eagle F1 GS-D3 in the original 275/40 ZR17 size, or go for the Eagle F1 Supercar - even if the closest size they have is 265/40 ZR17?

Price isn't a factor - but manufacturer is. The offer is coming from Goodyear, so the tires must be from them.

The car is only driven in the summer, so I'm not seriously considering the All-Season tires, but they're one of the 3 options in the original size.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

There wasn't anything in the starting post about how this 89 is going to be used, but being that it's a convertible, I think it unlikely that it's a car that sees any racing or aggressive street driving because C4 convertibles don't lend themselves for that unless they are modified with suspension and structure upgrades.

So, I think you're better with the F1 GS-D3 in 275/40ZR17. It's wider size will probably equal the Supercar's traction in turns and it's tread design and tread compound offer better wet performance, better treadlife and reduced tread noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    There wasn't anything in the starting post about how this 89 is going to be used, but being that it's a convertible, I think it unlikely that it's a car that sees any racing or aggressive street driving because C4 convertibles don't lend themselves for that unless they are modified with suspension and structure upgrades.

So, I think you're better with the F1 GS-D3 in 275/40ZR17. It's wider size will probably equal the Supercar's traction in turns and it's tread design and tread compound offer better wet performance, better treadlife and reduced tread noise.
    Thanks for chiming in, Hib. I was really hoping someone would give me great words of wisdom like yours! I really appreciate your advice.

You're correct about my use of the car - while the car gets driven enthusiastically, it doesn't really see any racing or HARD use. I rarely take it out in less-than-perfect weather.

I really liked the idea of getting "Supercar" tires - but I have to do what's best. Will the GS-D3 tires in the original size be better suited than the slightly narrower Supercar ones - and is there much risk of a failure due to improper sizing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Super Car tires are soft and wear out quickly in my experience.

I had D3's on my last C4 and really loved them. I'm with Hib on selecting the D3.
    Tuna
    New avatar - my latest novel
    Antiques To Die For

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by TripleBlack89 View Post
    (snip) Will the GS-D3 tires in the original size be better suited than the slightly narrower Supercar ones
    Yes

- and is there much risk of a failure due to improper sizing?
    No. The only problems you'll have are minor--the appearance of the slightly smaller tire and a slight speedometer inaccuracy from the shorter 265/40ZR17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Check out the Kumho Ecsta ASX's All Season.Phenominal Tires especially for the price.

www.tirerack.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN C4 View Post
    Check out the Kumho Ecsta ASX's All Season.Phenominal Tires especially for the price.
    They're probably great tires - but they can't beat the Goodyear price -- this time around, they're free.

Thanks for all the help - I'll go with the D3's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I'm partial to gatorbacks, although they are older in design. I've owned many cars with gatorbacks over the years and have just had great results with those tires. I also stay away from Yokohamas as I've never had a set that lasted more than 6 months or handled for squat.

Personally, I'd go with the cheapest tire with the best performance aspects. Tires are consumables as far as I'm concerned. Why pay full price on something that will wear out? I also check out the web for mail in discounts and price matching by competitors.

Once in a blue moon, Sam's club has some decent deals on high performance tires too.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    Crossfire Injection | L83 | .465"/.488" Cam | EBL | 3.73
    0-60mph in 5 seconds

1995 Trans Am
    1 of 1 Trans Am | 100% documented | RPOs 48U, MN6, and GU6
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 2k RPM Stall Converter + Updgraded Transmission + Governor Set For 5,450rpm Shifts 3.73 Code 42 Dark Mettalic Blue with a twist

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

They're probably great tires - but they can't beat the Goodyear price -- this time around, they're free.

Oops ! Gotcha.

In that case I don't blame you.
    Take care & Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ok, I will need tires by end of summer, How do I go about getting Goodyear's free? I got some used 245/45/17Eagles for the front of my 89 just to get me operational. I kept the 275's on the back. Hell, I'll splatter Goodyear stickers on the nose for advertising for some freebies.