Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SonnyMarrow

Default 1996 PKE not programming

I just purchased a 1996 coupe, and have been running through it fixing the electrical system that was messed up due to an aftermarket stereo system. I thought I had everything fixed, but now I can't get the car to go into the programming mode for the PKE. I followed the instructions in the manual and got the PKE light to turn on, but when I turn the key off, it doesn't flash, it just stays off. Any ideas? I don't even know where the PKE receiver is to replace it if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Saw this somewhere. The owner was having a similiar problem, no PKE light when he put the key in lock. Was finally able to correct that problem by"jiggling" the key in the ignition.

Have you checked to make sure there is not another fob somewhere in the car? I would check under seats, storage compartments, don't forget the one's used for door arm rests.

The PKE is located behind the radio. You'll probably have to pull the upper trim pad unless someone knows an easier way.

SonnyMarrow

Well, I have the entire center dash out, I just don't know what the PKE receiver looks like. I just got the service records by mail, and apparently an aftermarket alarm was installed. I'm hunting for it and anything that leads to the PKE unit. Is it the little black box bolted down directly behind the radio? I've had the passenger side and the entire cargo area out of the car and only found one receiver. Maybe it's time to pull the driver seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyMarrow View Post
    Well, I have the entire center dash out, I just don't know what the PKE receiver looks like. I just got the service records by mail, and apparently an aftermarket alarm was installed. I'm hunting for it and anything that leads to the PKE unit. Is it the little black box bolted down directly behind the radio? I've had the passenger side and the entire cargo area out of the car and only found one receiver. Maybe it's time to pull the driver seat.
    Send me an e-mail at lsylvestri@sbcglobal.net & I'll send a couple of scans that will help.

Don't pull anything else just yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I got the same problem with my 96 CE. Too much of a PIA to remove the PKE module. I lock the Vette the old fashion way. Why not, Vette owners did it from 53 to 92.

DMarusa

Default Same issue

I know this is a very old thread, but, did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem with my '93. I can get the PKE light to come on, but when I turn the key off, the light goes off instead of flashes.