Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Aqua Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 1993 LT1 and MSD

Hi.

Anyone with MSD 6AL and MSD GM Coil mounted in the engine bay. Will i need to replace the OPTI to MSD or will this setup work on my original OPTI, only 50K over 16 years. Anyone with a picture of where they put the 6AL in the bay? Is there any problems with this setup or is it a waste of bucks

Thanks

1993 LT1 and MSD rascal_rascal_99's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    92 coupe black rose
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

You don't have to replace the opti, I ran for quite some time with the stock one on it and really only reason I changed it was because my water pump was going out and I felt it was best just to do both at the same time. (I did change to an msd opti but thats because personally I think it's a better built part) What seems like about the most common place to mount the 6al box is under the passenger side headlight, remove the horn on that side and fabricate a piece to bolt on where the horn did and mount the msd box to it. Whether or not it's a waste of money depends on you're opinion to some extent. Keep in mind that where the msd box helps more is middle to higher rpm ranges, it's not snake oil, it does make a difference, but for normal street driving it's pretty insignificant. If you plan to use the car for track days at all, thats where it would really make a difference at. One word of advice though if you do decide to get it, make sure you get the wiring harness connection msd makes for your car.
    rascal