Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gone but not forgotten John Robinson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Similiar problem

I have a vibaration also that is speed sensitive. Here is what I have tried and discovered. I tried putting the brakes on while coasting down in speed (that is when it is the nosiest) and the sound gets quieter. In fact if I really jump into the brakes it will go away for a while then as I cruise along it comes back and gets progressively louder. What I have discovered is that the rear brake pins and bushings are worn and the caliper is moving up and down on the pin. I have found replacement pins and bushings at Advance auto parts there number is 5059 when the finances get a little healthier I will pick up two sets of these parts and get rid of the noise (I hope) .

At least as long as I know what it is I am not worried about driving the car and hearing that noise besides the volume knob on the radio gets rid of a lot of the noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I have a vibaration also that is speed sensitive. Here is what I have tried and discovered. I tried putting the brakes on while coasting down in speed (that is when it is the nosiest) and the sound gets quieter. In fact if I really jump into the brakes it will go away for a while then as I cruise along it comes back and gets progressively louder. What I have discovered is that the rear brake pins and bushings are worn and the caliper is moving up and down on the pin. I have found replacement pins and bushings at Advance auto parts there number is 5059 when the finances get a little healthier I will pick up two sets of these parts and get rid of the noise (I hope) .

At least as long as I know what it is I am not worried about driving the car and hearing that noise besides the volume knob on the radio gets rid of a lot of the noise.
    Glad you found your source of the noise. Mine is not noise but a vibration that shakes the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I had the same vibration in my C-4 when I bought it, turned out to be one of the half/shafts, their made out of Aluminum and are easy to bend if someone has jacked the car up with the jack under one of the halfshafts ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
    I have a vibration in myí86 coupe that has 79,000 miles on it that I cannot find. It acts just like a tire that is out of balance. I can feel it all the time and it becomes stronger as the speed is increased. Itís really not very noticeable until you are above 60 mph. From there it gets stronger and it very noticeable at 75. It smoothes out some as you go a little faster. It has been this way for a little while and does not seem to be getting worse.

I first noticed it awhile back and I thought it was an out of balance tire. I was planning to get a new set of tires so I didnít do anything then. After I got my new tires I noticed that the vibration was still there. I had the tires rebalanced but the vibration did not go away. I took it to another tire dealer and had the tires rebalanced again but the vibration is still there. A check showed that my lower ball joints were worn so I replaced them. My rear wheel bearings were loose so I replaced them also and while I was doing that I also replaced the u-joints on the half shafts.

What else could it be?

Thanks for you help.
    I promised to let you know the solution to my problem. Today I had the tires balanced on a road force machine - problem solved.
    Thanks everybody

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I went through several sets of tires for a delivery fleet I used to own. Always went with E-load range high quality rubber. One time, one set of 5 Michelins had 2 tires that were so out of balance, it took double digit lead to balance them. One was later determined to be so out-of-round, it looked like a chicken laid it.

I did 4 nights @ 425 miles/night with that set on my own 1-ton. --->

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12