Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 17" rims on 1984

Will these 17 by 9.5 rims fit on my 84? Will I need to offset or anything else? I am about to change tires and this would be the best time for a change.

Thanks for any information.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Wheel Adapters

They will fit with the use of a set of wheel adapters. Vette Brakes in Florida makes a quality set I have used on several early C4's. They also sell adapters to put those 17's on a C3.

Ron Kane
    Benchmark Corvette Service

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 84 Z51 with a 4+3

Yep, they do but only with adapters however. The Sawblades are somewhat stronger than the 87 wheels pictured . But then they steal the whole damn car if you put them on....

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the input, really good price on the 17's but I just hand sanded the 16's.....Day late and 6 hours worth of work, will be a tough call

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by green 84 View Post
    Thanks for the input, really good price on the 17's but I just hand sanded the 16's.....Day late and 6 hours worth of work, will be a tough call

Wow- those look really nice!

You know what... I'd just keep if it were me.

Everybody else seems to have "upgraded" to something bigger and flashier these days- seems like "being different" may just be "being stock"... with the help of some elbow grease!

1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    Crossfire Injection | L83 | .465"/.488" Cam | EBL | 3.73
    0-60mph in 5 seconds

1995 Trans Am
    1 of 1 Trans Am | 100% documented | RPOs 48U, MN6, and GU6
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 2k RPM Stall Converter + Updgraded Transmission + Governor Set For 5,450rpm Shifts 3.73 Code 42 Dark Mettalic Blue with a twist

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by KANE View Post
    Wow- those look really nice!

You know what... I'd just keep if it were me.

Everybody else seems to have "upgraded" to something bigger and flashier these days- seems like "being different" may just be "being stock"... with the help of some elbow grease!

I think you may just have something there,along with 8 total hours of elbow grease. They came out even better than I had hoped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Before and After?

Don't suppose you have any pictures of your wheels before you put all that work into them for a comparison. My wheels are in bad shape, and I am wondering how bad yours started. I would love my wheels to be as nice as you have made yours.
    When I bought a fixer-upper because I thought it would be fun, I had no idea how much fun it would take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

These are the best photos of the process that I have. All said and done there is at least 2 hours of sanding and buffing to each wheel, all done by hand. I started with very fine steel wool attempting to remove what was left of the clearcoat then polished with polishing cream which looked much better than they were. Knowing they would look even better sanded...... I pulled out some 400 wet/dry and the fun really began, next it was 600,800,1000 and finally 1500.

The wheels were very smooth, but still pretty dull until the final buffing with polishing cream after a couple coats I could see myself

I will be keeping these rims even though they have other imperfections... small knicks and curb scuff on one.

Would I do it again: definitely If you like shoot me a couple photos of yours and I can compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Did you take the tires off the rim? Looks really good, where is lakewood? How much do you charge an hour? My stock wheels could use a work over. Did you sand them with wet sand paper or with dry sand paper?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by nelson84 View Post
    Did you take the tires off the rim? Looks really good, where is lakewood? How much do you charge an hour? My stock wheels could use a work over. Did you sand them with wet sand paper or with dry sand paper?

I did the polish job with the tires on the rims using wet sandpaper. Lakewood is 35 miles south of Seattle and way to much work to do except on my car....

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If you like shoot me a couple photos of yours and I can compare.
    So here are pictures of my wheels. It seems like they have a plastic coating on them and around those big spots it is cracking and peeling. And then it seems as though those spots is the aluminium is coroding.

If I can make these look good again... I think I like the stock look enough that I don't need to upgrade.

Thanks
    When I bought a fixer-upper because I thought it would be fun, I had no idea how much fun it would take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I did the polish job with the tires on the rims using wet sandpaper. Lakewood is 35 miles south of Seattle and way to much work to do except on my car....
    Well good luck with your upgrades. I personally would never do it, simply because I've seen too many wheel offsets crack and the car looses a wheel, sometime they simply come loose, others I've seen have completely spilt off. But I have to say, I haven't seen one happen lately, so perhaps the wheel offsets sold today are of a better quality. But whatever, be careful. !

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vdogamr View Post
    So here are pictures of my wheels. It seems like they have a plastic coating on them and around those big spots it is cracking and peeling. And then it seems as though those spots is the aluminium is coroding.

If I can make these look good again... I think I like the stock look enough that I don't need to upgrade.

Thanks

As long as they are cast aluminum you can do the same thing I did. It is very time consuming but if the time is taken and wet sandpaper is used the results are night and day. The more you work at it the better they will lookThis winter I will take it further and finish them up with 2500-3000 grit.... mirror finish.

I started with 400 wet/dry then 600, 800, 1000 and then 1500 then aluminum polish all by hand. I took the rims off the car, but not off the tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It is very time consuming but if the time is taken and wet sandpaper is used the results are night and day.
    Strip clearcoat first with paint stripper.Just mask off the areas you want to save between the spokes

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vetteoz View Post
    Strip clearcoat first with paint stripper.Just mask off the areas you want to save between the spokes
    I assume by "areas you want to save" you mean anything I don't intend to polish. I imagine that is the center logo and the blades of the spokes. Am I missing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by green 84;
    The more you work at it the better they will look
    Is there something I should put on the wheels to protect all this hard work? Is it as easy as spraying a clear paint? It seems as though if I put all this work into it, and I don't protect it, the the weather is going to make it look even worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast