Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Londoner

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Londoner

Could someone please tell me where the maxi fuse is located on a 1988 Corvette. I e-mailed "The Car Show" radio program from Detroit, and they suggested the symptoms exhibited by my vette may be due to a shorted maxi fuse (50 to 60 amps). I don't have a service manual to locate the fuse. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
    Could someone please tell me where the maxi fuse is located on a 1988 Corvette. I e-mailed "The Car Show" radio program from Detroit, and they suggested the symptoms exhibited by my vette may be due to a shorted maxi fuse (50 to 60 amps). I don't have a service manual to locate the fuse. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Your car isn't going to have Maxi fuses!! It has fusible links behind the battery!! There will be anywhere from 4-9 of them depending on year and options!
    What kind of problem are you having??

PS There may be 1-2 coming off the starter too!!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Londoner

Thanks for replying - if you see my original post "shorted out crank fuse" it describes my problem. My car has been flatbedded to my mechanic, and he has diagnosed a blown prom, which is en route from Ecklers. I had emailed The Car Show prior to this diagnosis, but want to cover all bases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
    Thanks for replying - if you see my original post "shorted out crank fuse" it describes my problem. My car has been flatbedded to my mechanic, and he has diagnosed a blown prom, which is en route from Ecklers. I had emailed The Car Show prior to this diagnosis, but want to cover all bases.
    Before I started throwing any kind of parts at it...............................

Check and Clean ALL Grounds!! There are several on a C4
    1 under each head lamp on frame!
    There may also be a couple on cross member directly in front of engine!!
    2-4 under Power brake booster behind battery!(You will have to remove Battery!)Check All Fusible links while your there!!
    3-4 on the back of the engine for Ground strap to frame and Main Engine harness!!
    Rt side below A/C housing (1-3) Depending!!
    There is probably 1 fusible link to Alternator smaller wire off the positive battery cable,go's to Red wire on Alternator,Check this wire and connection eyelet good!!(I've changed several eyelets because they were corroded between the wire and eyelet and it's Hard to see the corrosion in the crimp!!) Also check Alternator for AC Voltage slipping past the diodes and High or Low voltage,This will make the ECM do weird things and make the car run Like SH*T!!

95% of the electrical problems I find on these cars are Bad Grounds,Corroded wiring connections, and Blown Fusible links usually caused by feedback from a bad connection,and seldom have to change parts!!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks GMjunkie: I'll print your reply and give it to my mechanic, and post results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I can't offer any suggestions but I see Jesse is on top of things as usual.

I just wanted to drop in and say hi and welcome to the !!

Be sure to check out these links too for more Corvette info:

CAC | TechCenter

CAC | TechCenter | Corvette Model Center

CAC | TechCenter | Corvette Model Center | 1988 Corvette Center

Post photos of your '88 when possible. We love pix!
    Jane Ann

For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default ECM code 51

Hi: Further to my problem - I asked my mechanic this a.m. to check all grounds as advised by gmjunkie. He's going to do so, but told me he scanned the computer and got error code 51. I'm expecting delivery of a stage II prom from Ecklers on Wednesday. Do you still think there's a chance of a bad ground?

Terry