Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 84 Idle Question

My 84 is a 4speed standard and I have only been driving my car for a couple of days, but at times it seems to still fast idle after driving for a while...1200- 1400rpm ... at that time it also seems to be running too cool 140f -170f after 8-10 miles.
    When is gets up to about 200f, the idle drops to about 900 rpm.
    I know that the radiator was replaced a few years ago by the previous owner -is it possible that they had some "hot" issues and also used a lower thermostat? There is also a sensor fitting on the passenger side of the radiator that is not connected to anything-is this supposed to be hooked up to something?
    I also have an exhaust question -I'm pretty sure that it is not stock. the pipes behind the rear axle have no mufflers and end at split tips, with a rectangular SS surround, that is not attached like a regular tip -any idea on what exhaust system this could be?
    The car has 80,000 miles and I have no service records from the previous owner, so I'm going to change the trans oil, rear end oil and flush the brakes and power steering fluid. Also the radiator -is there anything else that I should do?
    Thanks, Glen

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If its running at 140-170F its running in open loop so change the thermostat to a 195F and that should fix the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

welcome glen.. i assume you have the ever so popular crossfire in your car since you never mentioned any other mods that were made in your post. one of the most simple things i reccomend doing is take the stock fuel pump out and replace it with a quality pump from an 85 (if it hasnt been done already) if ya think it sounds nuts search through some thread on here and you will see it is one of the first things any crossfire owner should do......
    CrossFire Injection Mine - Corvette Action Center

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by hotshotzny View Post
    welcome glen.. i assume you have the ever so popular crossfire in your car since you never mentioned any other mods that were made in your post. one of the most simple things i reccomend doing is take the stock fuel pump out and replace it with a quality pump from an 85 (if it hasnt been done already) if ya think it sounds nuts search through some thread on here and you will see it is one of the first things any crossfire owner should do......
    CrossFire Injection Mine - Corvette Action Center
    Yes it has the original crossfire...but I only have history from the last owner and the only things he did was replace the radiator and clutch -less than 3,000 miles ago.
    That said, I believe that is has an aftermarket exhaust -the tailpipes have no mufflers or resonators beyond the rear wheels and the tips of the pipes split into two at the ends and are each surrounded by a SS boxed tip.
    It sound "GOOD" loud and the car seems to run faster than I thought that it would. Is there any way to tell if the fuel pump has been cahnged?
    I will definitely look throught the recommended thread.
    Thanks,
    Glen

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

its easy enough to pull out (at least im pretty good at it now) juat a few bolts and oull it out of the tank...im not really sure how to say if you could tell if it were original or not..

sounds like they put muffler eliminators if im pictureing it right from what you described which is what im going to do to my car next.

another site to check out is www.CrossfireInjection.net - Home Page

and no matter hoe stupid of a question you think you have dont be afraid to ask on this forum.. there are hundreds of guys who will be more than happy to point you in the right direction ans help to save you from wasting your money as long as you have a little mechanical ability!
    ive asked some doozies myself believe me!
    and you will see there is a thread in here about everything from car related stuff to some heated political discussions

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yes, the mufflers are definitely MIA! Thanks for the cross-fire connection, that looks like a great source. Thanks again, Glen