• 89 Won't start when warm. Lets try again plz...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DallasK

Thanks Radioman and Muddywaters. After all the great help I have received here I had come to that conclusion but I am so grateful for your post because you describe the situation perfectly and I feel very confident you are correct. It was exactly what I needed to hear. I am ordering some today. I have decided on the Bosch3 as well. Giddyup!

Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Hot start

If I read your earlier post correctly, you said you had a max fuel pressure of 32 psi. This is at the very bottom of the spec for this car. Typical fuel pressure on an 89 would be 38 - 42psi. I would start there if you have'nt bought injectors yet. Most 89's won't run with 32 psi of fuel pressure.

You don't mention the last time the fuel filter was changed, could be restricted there.

You need to follow Chart A-3 of the 89 service manual for proper diagnosis before spending your hard earned dollars.

If you need info you can contact me at 217-726-3840 9-5 Mon - Fri

Ron Kane
    Benchmark Corvette Service
    Bloomington Gold Restoration Workshops Senior Instructor

DallasK

Actually I have not purchased yet. I was putting jetskis in the water yesterday. I am not sure how a fuel filter fits a warm start problem but it seems you are the expert. The fuel pressure was 32 but that was cold. The car starts and runs perfectly cold. I believe I was using the gauge correctly. I have no service manual and have no idea where to get one here locally. I have tried. Also I have no idea where the fuel filter is on this car. If the minimum is 38 pounds how is the car running? I just went from confident to frustrated again. Bummer. Thanks for your comments though.

Corvette(s)
    1988 white 4+3 coupe 99 Torch Red 6spd. coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Injectors,injectors, injectors, their 20 years old, were not designed for ethanol, I paid $169.00 for the Bosch GenIII. Your problem doesn't occur when the car is running it occurs after the car is shut off, leak down. Yes, It would be a good idea to change the fuel filter when you change your injectors. Just wondering, Where in Pa. are you located? If your not comfortable with that question, don't answer it. Fuel filter is on pass. side frame, piece of cake.

DallasK

Hey muddywaters. Thanks for yet another positive post Dude. I live in Pittsburgh. (Fox Chapel TWP. if you know the city.) I am a HUGE Penguin fan and the baby Pens are where you live as I am sure you know. I am calling around now for a fuel filter now. Changing that seems appropriate whether it is failing or not after all its years of being on the car.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Their should be a shield over the filter that has to come off first. If the car was sitting over night and wasn't started, with injectors that are leaking down ,you probably won't have pressure in the fuel sys.,I didn't, but it would be a good idea to check that at the schreader valve, otherwise you'll get some squirt gun action when you undo the filter, have a rag ready and watch the drop light. My 88 did the exact same thing your 89 is doing, started cold perfectly, ran good, fuel milage sucked, took forever to start when hot. I think it a common problem with the older FI Vettes. Mine never ran better, Good luck, Go Pens.......................Joe P.S. There's a lot of aftermarket CRAP out there, spend a couple of bucks more and go with a better AC filter.

89 Won't start when warm. Lets try again plz... TedC's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Even when my 1988 had leaking injectors, it always maintained a fuel pressure around 40 when running. Similar pressures on my 1989. Low 30s is not going to give you optimal performance.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    If the car was sitting over night and wasn't started, with injectors that are leaking down ,you probably won't have pressure in the fuel sys.
    Change filter with minimum fuel in tank because it will siphon out on account of tank being higher than filter even after you have relieved pressure .
    Easiest way is to remove supply line at tank under filler cap , you will only lose what fuel that is in the line and have all day to change filter if you have not done one before.

Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Vetteoz, I've changed several fuel filters on diffrent model C4s and never had the siphoning effect (just lucky ?). Just changed mine with a full tank. I release the fuel pressure on the rail and make sure the converter has cooled down. The fuel filter is very close to the converter. Sure wish they would include new o-rings with these filters. I stopped buying AC fuel filters when the last one said made in China.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I had no siphoning problems either, just a little dribble. As far as filters go ,what isn't made in China these days. The no name filters are made in Bangladesh. I've been hearing that Wix is the way to go, next filter change I'll go that route....If I can find them.....

Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The fuel filters at NAPA had made in the USA or Mexico. I had a similar issue with an oil pressure sensor last year. The Delco part was made overseas (black in color) just like the ones at PB and AZ. The NAPA part was gray and stamped made in the USA. I purchased the AC and the NAPA sensor and tested them. NAPA part provided more consistent readings. How times have changed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12