• 89 won't start after it's warm.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    DallasK

Default 89 won't start after it's warm.

The car starts runs fine when it is cold. Runs fine even after it is driven for 30 minutes. After i drive it and let it sit a few minutes; it does not want to start. The first time it even started, then backfired a few times right after I started it warm. Then it would not start again at all. It really made a foul smell when I was cranking it (When warm and failing to start) which seemed to indicate to me it had gas and was maybe fouling a bit... I let it sit overnight. When I get in and start it-Varoom! No worries. I just drove it for 5 minutes down to the store. Like a dummy I turn the car off. I get back in- It turns over but won't start. If I let it cool for a while I am pretty sure it will start and carry my ignorant Corvette driving rear end back home. For now it is sitting alone at the convenience store. And it is probably hoping I come back for it... Help if you can please. Thank you in advance.

No water in oil. No oil in water. Oil and gas and anti freeze are at correct levels. Plenty of juice in 6 month old battery. Car has 27k miles.

DallasK

Default 89 Vette Won't start.

Yep. Started right up.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

chuck121566

Default Check your fuel pressure first!

Hi,

Before you go to the expense of replacing your injectors, check the fuel pressure readings! I had this same issue with my '88 and I solved it by replacing the fuel pressure regulator which is a much simpler and less expensive proposition.

Corvette(s)
    1989 coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My 89 is doing the exact same things but it has sat for quite awhile so I am going to take chuck's advise and start with the basics and work up from there. After it is warm is does not have a consistent idle but seems to get a little better after a long run on the highway.

Corvette(s)
    One owner unrestored Black 1962 FI Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Proceed with Caution

These cars have become exceedingly more difficult to analyze as they get into engine management problems brought about by tree hugging liberals. As a result many good natured people offer suggestions that are not valid and they should considered for what they are just opinions. Very few experts in engine management here or anywhere else. Why else are there signs in all parts stores "No refund on Electrical and ignition parts"...

Corvette(s)
    1989 coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The mechanic has this thing just a hummin. Just don't expect to get started for about 2-1/2 hours. Tonight I took it for a spin to warm it up so mechanic could check the pick up coil on the tester he has. Five miles down the road the damn thing just quit and did not want to restart. Towed it back to the shop and will retry the hot inspection of the coil tomorrow. Any other Ideas?

Yes there is plenty of gas. New fuel filter, new mass air flow sensor and new sensor relays, new Optima battery.

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wallyknoch View Post
    As a result many good natured people offer suggestions that are not valid and they should considered for what they are just opinions. Very few experts in engine management here or anywhere else.
    True.

Do some diagnostics. They're FREE!
    After it is warm is does not have a consistent idle
    Sounds like a vacuum leak.
    (ME) Lopin' idle is an air issue; gotta' be a vacuum leak somewhere.

Block the TB linkage, brick on pedal, anything to get a STEADY idle, then start sprayin' startin' fluid EVERYWHERE, a little at a time, to find where it's gettin' sucked in, and causin' a brief rev increase.

Vac leak will make a engine lope idle - 20 year old lawn mower, or a new car on the lot...
    Find a leak in a tight spot? Try a book of matches. Light the whole book, blow 'em out quick while the match heads are burnin', and see if the smoke feeds into some spot...