• throttle position sensor..etc...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default throttle position sensor..etc...

how does this effect performance..??

Corvette(s)
    1993 Coupe, Bright Aqua
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

A great book that explains a lot about the systems in our cars, should be in every Vette owners library along with the correct Factrory Service Manual for your car.

Corvette Fuel Injection Electronic Engine Management 1982 Through 2001 : L83, L98, Lt1, Lt4, Ls1, Ls6, Zr-1 Charles O. Probst Paperback english 9780837608617 BENTLEY PUBLISHERS TRANSPORTATION BOOKS

MBDiagMan

TPS adjustment effects throttle response significantly, but unless WAY off, has little effect on overall power. There is power to be lost through misadjustment of the TPS, but there is little or no power to be GAINED by tweaking it.

throttle position sensor..etc... TedC's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yes you can change throttle response by increasing the base voltage, but WOT performance remains the same. Don't go to high or you will see the engine light come on. I prefer using the stock specs. Verify 4.2+ volts at WOT with your foot on the gas pedal all the way to the floor. When I bought my 1988, it was showing only 3.9 volts. WOT performance improved when I adjusted it to post 4.4 volts.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

thanx for the heads up..

Corvette(s)
    84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

How exactly do you adjust it? I put a new one on my 85 vette and the car quit blowing smoke out of the exhaust the old sensor was hooped and it seemed to flood the engine some how. I just screwed it on and plugged it in. Now I read you are supose to adjust it.

MBDiagMan

Quote Originally Posted by nelson84 View Post
    How exactly do you adjust it? I put a new one on my 85 vette and the car quit blowing smoke out of the exhaust the old sensor was hooped and it seemed to flood the engine some how. I just screwed it on and plugged it in. Now I read you are supose to adjust it.
    You just got lucky.

You properly adjust it using a digital DC Voltmeter connected to, as I recall the bottom two connections on the TPS. Look for .500 volts +/- about .04 Volts. To adjust, loosen the screws such that you can rotate it, but it is a little stiff so that it will stay in position once you get the correct reading. After tightening the screws retest the Voltage setting.

I haven't done it on one of these in a long time, but I think this is all correct. You can consult most any manual to verify my memory.

Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Two adjustment screws. I filed the TPS slots slightly so I had a little more adjustment voltage at WOT while keeping the base voltage at .54 volts. But a stock TPS should have no issue setting the base voltage properly and pulling 4+ volts at WOT. Don't assume you are all done by just setting the base at .54 volts. Verify WOT. You can use a VOM which is the low cost option and works just fine. A scanner is even better because it reflects what the ECM is actually seeing and you can measure inside the car. When I purchased my 1989, the idle (base) was set at .60 volts, and was way too responsive.

MBDiagMan

Actually, now days you can buy a pretty darn good Digital meter for $20 or less.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Once reason there are DMMs for 20 bucks or less is a lot of the units in that price range are POSes.

If you are buying a DMM for engine controls diagnostics make sure you get one with at least 10 meg ohm impeadance. DMMs with less than that will be inaccurate.

Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I've never had an issues when measuring voltages using a $10, $80, or $300 DVOM. Resistance accuracy is another story. As Hib points out, if you only have one DVOM, make sure it is at least 10 meg ohms. This is critical in testing circuit boards.

MBDiagMan

Yes, for many things a high input impedance meter is necessary and desirable, but for things such as the TPS adjustment, the cheapie from Sears will do fine. These are cheap enough, reliable enough and compact enough to throw in an emergency toolbox or in one of the compartments in the cargo area of a C4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Can you set this with it off the car, or does it need to be bolted to the car? And if the later, does the car need to be running?

I removed my TPS for cleaning on my 89, and forgot about it needing to be bolted back up a certain way.

Corvette(s)
    1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The TPS needs to be installed on the car. This is the main reason for adjusting it, because when you install it on the car idle position Voltage, and WOT position voltage may not be correct.

The car does not need to be running. You do need the key turned to ign.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vetteboy86 View Post
    The TPS needs to be installed on the car. This is the main reason for adjusting it, because when you install it on the car idle position Voltage, and WOT position voltage may not be correct.

The car does not need to be running. You do need the key turned to ign.
    I was able to find that article on setting the TPS and idle. I'll need to adjust my idle as it looks like the blades don't shut straight up and down. I noticed that block off plate for the screw that stops the blades has been removed.

And it looks like I'll need to get an adapter to check the TPS voltage. Though, in the article it told how to check for the base or idle TPS setting. But it didn't mention anything about the WOT setting. If you get it set for the base setting, but it doesn't get 4+ volts at WOT. How do you adjust it since you can only make one adjustment? Or does that mean the TPS is bad?

My IAC looks really clean on the needle. Though, I may still plug it back up to the car to get the needle to pop out anyways. I'm assuming to get the needle back in, you just stick it in and rock it back and forth very slowly? It's been a while since I've done an IAC cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast