Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm stuck.

Corvette(s)
    1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default I'm stuck.

I've replaced all the plug wires and 6 plugs on my '88. Yesterday I tackled cylinder nos. 2 and 4, well actually I managed to get out no. 2. I've tried all I know to get the new plug in,removed inner fender and wheel but unable to loosen lower nut on a/c rear support(it's not in the way though). I used tubing over the plug and can only manage to turn it about half a thread even though I think I've got it seating correctly. The heat shield around the exhaust manifold obstructs the tubing to some extent. I tried for 2 hours before giving up. Can someone get me out of trouble ? Roger.

Corvette(s)
    1990 red convert 6 sp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by roger longman View Post
    I've replaced all the plug wires and 6 plugs on my '88. Yesterday I tackled cylinder nos. 2 and 4, well actually I managed to get out no. 2. I've tried all I know to get the new plug in,removed inner fender and wheel but unable to loosen lower nut on a/c rear support(it's not in the way though). I used tubing over the plug and can only manage to turn it about half a thread even though I think I've got it seating correctly. The heat shield around the exhaust manifold obstructs the tubing to some extent. I tried for 2 hours before giving up. Can someone get me out of trouble ? Roger.
    Half a thread does not sound like you are getting it started straight. How heavy of hose are you using ? Smaller diameter works best 3/16 ID I think , just so it slips over the very tip not the body. This allows more maneuverability.
    My 90 may be set up diff but I had very little problem with no 2 or 4 it was 8 that was a real pain. The whole side is a pain with out the inner fender off.

Glenn

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks Glenn. I'm really good at missing the obvious! I've found some smaller tubing, about 3/16 as you said. I'll give it another go tomorrow. I think your '90 may well be different, I found no8 relatvely easy,although compared to other marques they are all pigs (apologies to any Vette owner farmers) why didn't GM find a better designed head,all eight should be a twenty minute job? I'm still stuck with no.4 does anyone have ideas? Roger.

Corvette(s)
    1990 red convert 6 sp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I may have used a very long extension or a number of them with a wobble extension at the socket on one of the plugs. Was a couple yrs ago so hard to remember.

Glenn

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Is there no one else that can help me with no.4 cylinder? Roger.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Roger,get a plug socket that has a hex end for a wrench on it.its tight,put socket on plug,use wrench to remove plug.be careful installing them. not to hard to cross thread plugs .use patience ,people do them all the time.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by roger longman View Post
    I found no8 relatvely easy,although compared to other marques they are all pigs (apologies to any Vette owner farmers) why didn't GM find a better designed head,all eight should be a twenty minute job? I'm still stuck with no.4 does anyone have ideas? Roger.
    I can do it in about 40-45 minutes,including R&R splash Shields!!But then again,I'm a HillBilly and can make a Silk Purse out of a Sows Ear!!
    I think you must have your cylinders mixed up,#7 and #8 are the hardest,I use a 3/8 fuel hose about 1 1/2 inchs long,3/8's 18 inch Wobble Extension,1 inch Wobble Extension,Thumb Wheel,Spark Plug Socket and a 3/4 Open End Wrench!!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks bill5674, I'm going to be very patient ! Roger.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks Junk, aren't nos.7and 8 closest to the bulkhead ? I found those relatively easy. My problem is on the n/s cylinder bank no.2 which I've got out but can't get back in and no.4 which I can't even get out. There's a joke in there somewhere ! Roger.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

okay ,if i`m not mistaken drivers side plugs ,from the front of motor.1-3-5-7.passenger side from the front.2-4-6-8....naa.no joke there wait untilyou have to change out the heater core.ha-ha drink lots...bill

Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The plugs are easy compared to changing the power brake booster on our 88's

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks bill5674, that's what I was saying n/s= near side=passenger side,first 2 plugs no.2 and no.4. Roger.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks joesroad, that makes me feel a lot better but at the rate I'm going I wont need brakes anyway! Roger.

Corvette(s)
    Yellow '84 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If you can't get a handle on your spark plug socket, try sliding a short piece of 1/2" square tubing into the top of your socket, then you can turn the socket with a 1/2" open end wrench!

S.T.W.

Corvette(s)
    bright red 1984 crossfire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

i just did my plugs and wires on my 84 and it took me all of monday and half of tuesday to do it... got 6 of them done with a sna and ran intot he same damn problem... i could just squeeze my hand done into the space provided and had the hardest time getting the threads started.. tried it from up above , underneath, you nam eit.. didnt bother removing anything cause really nothing was in my way that i could see was stopping me.... at several points i had to walk away before i tokk a BFH to the car.... really all it took was patience and pure dumb luck! id like to sit on an assembly line while they build these things and look at the cars as they design them and ask them if they can get to certian parts that they know they will have to replace.. if they cant do it id hit them with a stick as hard as i could!!

the 82 was even better... we had to lossen the motor mounts and jack the engine up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast