Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm stuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Had the same problem with 2 and 4 on my '86. Finally got my wife, with her dainty hands and fingers to get them started, then used an open end wrench on the spark plug socket. Your right, six plugs were a snap, 2 and 4 involved alot of swearing, drinking and walking away! My wife heard me and said let a woman do this! This time she was right!
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks Hot Rod Roy and hotshotzny, it's actually getting the thing started that's the problem on no. 2 and off and back on no.4. Roger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks Paddywhack, how did you get no. 4 out ? You mean I should let a woman touch my Vette ? Well I suppose it'll be okay. Roger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If I remember correctly (and if I dont, my wife will remind me), once she got the socket over the plug, I was able to break it loose with an open end wrench, the she was able to get it out with her hands....after listening to the whole righty tighty, lefty loosen theory!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well, she tried for about an hour to put in no.2 plug, then gave up. I managed to get my hand onto the plug end but couldn't get it threaded, it was a painful experience and I gave up when all my fingers went numb ! When my hand recovers I'll give it one more try. It feels as though it will only cross thread although from what I can see it appears ok. in there. How can this be. Anyone ? Roger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Did she try with the plug already in the socket? I was afraid of cross threading also, but never saw any evidence of it. I remember dropping the plug several times trying to get it in, even losing it in the A arm sub frame for over an hour. I feel your pain, my hands were numb, bleeding. Wish I had an easier way for you...hopefully somebody here does!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks Paddywhack, I lost one in the A arm as well, it eventually fell out when I slammed the door ! Roger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

hey roger, we feel your pain. might be the first couple threads are a little damaged.might be time to clean them up with a thread chase.when you think about it it seems dumb that the plug won`t go in ...but i`m supposted to get a chase in there! in a pince i have used an old plug that i cut the threads up and down with a hack saw blade....but with (i think you have aluminum heads) dont screw around too much with it. good luck,bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks bill, I know the slotted plug thing but I don't think I can do it here. I'm guessing as you say the first couple of threads could be damaged. Yes it is an aluminium head, so it's off to the shop. Roger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If you can get in there with it , get a 1/2 in round brush like plumber use to clean copper sweat fittings. Screw that into the threads a few times along with some penetrating oil.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thaqnks Glenn, I've decided to let the mechanic do it. I know it sounds defeative but I dont have a garage, which doesn't help. I cant understand how the threads could be damaged I've only used finger power and couldn't even get a good grip on it ! Roger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hello, Well I found the old plug and closer inspection showed the first couple of threads were jiggered ! The mechanic "chased out" the head and after much checking the plug was back in. I still cant see how I could have damaged it taking it out ? Thanks to everyone. Now I have to think about no. 4. Roger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have been told that if you do not wait till the engine is
    stone cold before removing plugs from an aluminum head
    that you can tear threads.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks Glenn, The car had been sitting for 5 days before I started. I used to change plugs hot all the time when I raced motorcycles, never had that problem. They were all ali heads. Maybe I've just gotten more "ham fisted" as I've aged. Roger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12