• Will opening up an exhaust cause power loss?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vetteoz View Post
    No just pipes bent or made to eliminate the mufflers altogether.
    Cheaper to get local exh shop to do
    Even cheaper when you do it yourself.

Exhaust work

The mufflers I made are not that much quieter than straight pipe, just take out some of the crack.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by G Winter View Post
    Are muffler eliminators chambered pipes ?

Glenn
    Nope, they're straight. Like Vetteoz said, you could probably have a muffler shop fab them cheaper than getting them from a catalog. With the stock cats and resonator, they're really not that loud until you put your foot on it. Then they sound great!!

Joe Deb Vette

Glad you posted this! I live in Central NJ and am looking to get the same setup. One shop told me I could see 15 to 20 HP gains. Who are you having install and what is the price you were quoted? Would love to hear it if you already have it set up!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Deb Vette View Post
    Glad you posted this! I live in Central NJ and am looking to get the same setup. One shop told me I could see 15 to 20 HP gains. Who are you having install and what is the price you were quoted? Would love to hear it if you already have it set up!

Thanks!

Im doing myself with bolt on Y-pipes. It requires you to cut the exhaust and slide the Y-pipe over it and bolt it on. Im probably going to do it after school is done in May, but if I do it ill let you know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
    A common misconception is that reducing backpressure will result in power loss. What has caused this is in the old days, on carbureted engines, people would open up their exhaust with no other modifications and indeed often lose power. The reason was that the loss in back pressure leans out the mixture.

To benefit from the opened up exhaust it was necessary to rejet the carburetor. Since this was something beyond many folks, the belief that power would be lost was born.

On your Corvette, any flow increase is automatically compensated for due to the increased flow through the Mass Air Flow sensor. The increased air flow is compensated for by the ECM resulting in MORE power.

Open exhaust produces MORE power IF the mixture is compensated for.
    dont mean to rain on your parade but if you go to big with the exhaust you will lose power, in the end its up to you but i promise you no matter how you tune it you will lose power if you take away all the back pressure . why not call some of the exhaust companys and hear what they have to say .good luck on what ever you do

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish246 View Post
    Also, the reason I want cutouts is becasue it is cheaper than a new exhaust system, but has the same effect! Plus, my Vette is an everyday driver so if I want quiet, then I just shut the cutouts! I just want to make sure I wont loose power, but from all of the replys and research, I will probably gain power!

Thanks Guys!
    Great web site. Thanks for sharing.
    Dave

MBDiagMan

Quote Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
    dont mean to rain on your parade but if you go to big with the exhaust you will lose power, in the end its up to you but i promise you no matter how you tune it you will lose power if you take away all the back pressure . why not call some of the exhaust companys and hear what they have to say .good luck on what ever you do

On what do you base your statement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That's an old tale and just plain not true. Especially with the L98.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

you will lose power if you take away all the back pressure.

95-Lt1-auto-Polo-Conv, 125hp ZEX N2O dry, LE Cam 226/234 565/565 109LSA, Comp Pro Mag 1.6rr, Patriot Xtreme Springs, PCMFORLESS tune, K&N, AO Ram Air, 52mm TB, EM LT Headers, No Muffler, X-pipe, Meziere HD EWP, Vigil 2800 Conv, TransGo Shift Kit, Pro-Built 4L60E Trans., 24lb SVO's, MSD Coil & 8.5mm wires, NGK TR6 plugs, B&M TransCooler, Dewitt Radiator, 160 therm, TB AirFoil, 3.07 Rear Axle, LT4 KM, S&D Rotors, SS BrakeLines, Hawk HPS Pads, ZR1 rims 275/315. 1967-Firebird-conv-2spd-326ci

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I don't know if it applies to this application, But as far as back pressure is concerned, you will lose low end torque on a stock Harley with straight pipes unless you make other modifications. In fact, they sell torque cones to help with the issue.

I tried it. Went back to the Screaming Eagle II exhuast system.

Like I said , It may not apply here, But I figured some of you Vette owners out there might ride on two wheels once in a while like I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by rickreeves1 View Post
    all i was doing was offering to share the experiences of 35 years of drag racing and building hot rods. believe what you want . if you do some homework on the subject you will find what i am telling you is true .good luck on whatever you decide

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Feel free to rain all you wish. (I'm drip dry, and my plastic car doesn't rust.)
    Two things: 1) How much backpressure do you think there is at the end of a set of open collectors? Real race cars are looking for maximum power. I see darn few racers putting a cork in the collector to "bump up" their horsepower. A street engine, similarly, is also an air pump. Restricting the flow of air does not increase VE, and therefore will not increase power.
    2) There's a reason guys used to think that backpressure gave more horsepower. Without looking at the physics of it, they weren't totally offbase. They were wrong, but it was because they only looked at part of the equation. Can anybody give me the reason they often claimed that backpressure was necessary? (I know, I'm just offering up the opportunity for others to chime in.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

i will use my most recent example that happened to me . my 90 ported zr1 .i first went with a 3in band b the car ran 12.45@117.65 then after talking to some buddies who own spin tec mufflers ask me if they could build me a system .i said ok .they built me a 2/1/2 inch system with a dr gas x pipe the car ran a best of 12.10 @119.85 in 100 degree weather . they shared that too big a pipe causes the exhaust to lose velocity causing the exhaust to lose the ability to help pull it out of the combustion chamber . its not so much a back presure issue but sizing everything just right so the exhaust can pull the spent gases out as fast as possible . my car make 427 rwhp and is shifted at 7100 rpms. also think about why a merge collector makes more power . in the end it is up to the owner of the car to decide ,all i am trying to do is share what i have learned in over 35 years of drag racing , having held 3 different national records in various classes . good luck in what ever you choose

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

i will use my most recent example that happened to me . my 90 ported zr1 .i first went with a 3in band b the car ran 12.45@117.65 then after talking to some buddies who own spin tec mufflers ask me if they could build me a system .i said ok .they built me a 2/1/2 inch system with a dr gas x pipe the car ran a best of 12.10 @119.85 in 100 degree weather . they shared that too big a pipe causes the exhaust to lose velocity causing the exhaust to lose the ability to help pull it out of the combustion chamber . its not so much a back presure issue but sizing everything just right so the exhaust can pull the spent gases out as fast as possible . my car make 427 rwhp and is shifted at 7100 rpms. also think about why a merge collector makes more power . in the end it is up to the owner of the car to decide ,all i am trying to do is share what i have learned in over 35 years of drag racing , having held 3 different national records in various classes . good luck in what ever you choose
    I'm not a big quarter mile fan, but 35 hundredths reduction in ET is rather significant. Being an engineer, I would need a bunch more data than you've supplied to convince me that choking down the pipe size accomplished this. (I also don't see any backpressure gauge readings posted while running with these two systems.)
    I could be convinced that going from 3 inch duals to 2.5 inch duals with an X-pipe would increase power due to the 2.5 inch setup having more internal area (two 2.5 inch pipes are bigger than one 3 inch pipe) to allow the exhaust volume/mass to be dumped into from each of the headers. I tend to believe it's more of a volume (storage plenum) thing after the headers, producing lower instantaneous backpressure, rather than a conduit for pulsed flow. Given that there are mufflers at the end of these pipes, I don't see much possibility of persistent pulsed flow anyway.
    Like I said, I'm an engineer. Give me the data, and I can be convinced. Without any data, I gotta go with the physics I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

both systems are true duals. we didnt put any sensors in either systems . to us the proof is in the et and mph reductions. .the mph is the real key sometimes the sience gets in the way of what is the reality of the deal to go faster from point a to b . which is what we are after . the money to install sensors for4 the results you seek costs about 10-12 k and just not worth it unless we were trying to develope a system for sale which we are not . just some good friends who have been building exhausts for many years sharing their knowledge to help me out . bottem line it worked very well in my opinion .choose carefully or you will be spending money again to achieve the results you want

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast