Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Metallic Blue Cpe.w/top
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Hard start after winter storage

Help. My 87 stored outside during the winter. charged battery with trickle charger and added gas stabilizer before winter. started twice during wnter and ran up on 8 cyl. last weekend, cranked over for 10 + seconds and then coughed and started on 4 cyl-maybe. I got the car to finally rev up to 2500 and run better but then when I let off the gas pedal, it ran down to maybe 500 rpm and then died. it will only start with lots of coaxing and then it stalls and dies.
    I haven't spun a wrench in years, any thoughts or do I have it flatbedded to my local vetter dealer.
    any thoughts?

Corvette(s)
    1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

How much gas was in the tank when you stored it?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Full tank, used gas stabil as well. Finally able to start it-appears to Run on 5-6 cylinders. I replaced maf and burnoff relays. I cannot get it to "clear" and run on 8 cyl.
    Thanks for any additional help3
    Paul

MBDiagMan

I've had my 88 15 or 16 years and it has been stored for long periods of time many times in that period. Many years ago, two injectors stuck during the course of storage and I replaced the offending injectors. People said at that time if they ever stick, they won't become unstuck.

Recently it came out of storage after about a year and it missed and cut up with a few stuck injectors. I put in two bottles of Techron with a full tank of gas, and then unexpectedly had to make a long, hard driving trip and ran all of that gas out in one sitting. At the end of that run, it was running perfect.

To see if you have a stuck injector, use a mechanics stethoscope to listen to each injector at idle. Each one should have a distinct click. If you do have one stuck, try a hard run with plenty of additive before throwing in the towel to replace them.

Out of all those set up periods, the only thing that has ever been knowingly effected have been stuck injectors. This does NOT mean that your problem is a stuck injector or two, but it's easy to use a stethoscope to check them.

Good luck,

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
    I've had my 88 15 or 16 years and it has been stored for long periods of time many times in that period. Many years ago, two injectors stuck during the course of storage and I replaced the offending injectors. People said at that time if they ever stick, they won't become unstuck.

Recently it came out of storage after about a year and it missed and cut up with a few stuck injectors. I put in two bottles of Techron with a full tank of gas, and then unexpectedly had to make a long, hard driving trip and ran all of that gas out in one sitting. At the end of that run, it was running perfect.

To see if you have a stuck injector, use a mechanics stethoscope to listen to each injector at idle. Each one should have a distinct click. If you do have one stuck, try a hard run with plenty of additive before throwing in the towel to replace them.

Out of all those set up periods, the only thing that has ever been knowingly effected have been stuck injectors. This does NOT mean that your problem is a stuck injector or two, but it's easy to use a stethoscope to check them.

Good luck,
    First. Thanks for the input. Our 87 runs like it should. Now I need to see what the loose ebrake cable on the right wheel means. Always something.
    Paul Robinson