• How Restrictive is the Resonator
  • How Restrictive is the Resonator

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default How Restrictive is the Resonator

How Restrictive is the Resonator for the factory exhaust (96 LT1)? Also, what exactly does it do/how? I think it is for equalizing exhaust pressure, but not sure. I know some aftermarket systems have an X pipe.

Has anyone seen a cross section of one? Or have a pic of one cut open?

Just was thinking about the exhaust and was curious.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

reasonators on the 96s are the best ones that the factory put on .all depends on what you want quiet or loud ???/ need to know that so it can be shared which is the best way to go .

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Both, I want quiet and loud! That is why I am still doing research on exhaust cutouts. I just dont know where to put them, and how to route the cutout exhaust from under the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

This is from HowStuffWorks "How Mufflers Work"

The resonator is designed to work best in the frequency range where the engine makes the most noise; but even if the frequency is not exactly what the resonator was tuned for, it will still produce some destructive interference.

I don't think there is much back pressure in a resonator.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

cutouts under the car will cost you hp. a better way would be to make a set up from the c6 vet exhaust where they open all 4 exhaust tips formore power . if you would like to hear 2 different exhausts on 2 c-4s go to u tube and type in joeshmoe12301230 ,you will find a list of both my zr1s the black car has headers and a custom spin tec 21/2in exhaust with a dr gas xpipe the white 92 callaway 475 snatzr1 has headers and a corsa exhaust.its also 21/2 in . unless you get to 450 rwhp a 4 in exhaust will cost you alot of lowand midrange tq. both these zr1s make 410-425rwhp.hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
    cutouts under the car will cost you hp. a better way would be to make a set up from the c6 vet exhaust where they open all 4 exhaust tips formore power . if you would like to hear 2 different exhausts on 2 c-4s go to u tube and type in joeshmoe12301230 ,you will find a list of both my zr1s the black car has headers and a custom spin tec 21/2in exhaust with a dr gas xpipe the white 92 callaway 475 snatzr1 has headers and a corsa exhaust.its also 21/2 in . unless you get to 450 rwhp a 4 in exhaust will cost you alot of lowand midrange tq. both these zr1s make 410-425rwhp.hope this helps

VetteTube - Corvette Videos, Corvette Crashes, Corvette Burnouts, Corvette Racing

It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

opps i made a typo error should be 3 in exhaust not 4 in. sorry for the error

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I cant believe I would loose power with an open exhaust! How does this work/happen?

How about if I put the cutouts right after the resonator, and before the mufflers? Would I loose HP then?

Thanks for the info guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

its kinda hard for me to explain but i will try cutouts that far back can give reversion .if one were to go buy the idea no back pressure would make the most power then a 3 in would make more power on my 2 zr1s . here is what i found out when i tried a 3in exhaust on my blk zr1 i lost 9 hp on the top end and as much as 20 hp in the 2200-4000 rpm range . the gas peddle felt mushy like i had to really press on it to feel any power . when i switched to the custom spin tec with the dr gas x pipe the car felt alot more responsive and the power came on quicker . there are proably some here that can give you the science of it . after spending almost 3000 on exhaust systems i learned that sizing things right the first time made my cars faster and also i didnt wake every cop in the county when i got on her . which i also liked because my cars became sleepers and some thought (hehe) wrongfully so that it was slow . i hope that somewhat helps . you might do a google search on the subject to learn more about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

So where would the best place for cutouts be (right after the cats or right before the mufflers)? Or are you saying that in any place, cutouts will cause my Vette to loose power?

I think that the stock system is 2.5in each pipe, but I have to double check, so my cutouts would be 2.5in each.

Thanks for your explination, im curious about the science of it. It seems weird that you would loose power if the piston doesnt have to push as hard to let the air out of the cylinder on the exhasust stroke...(im not saying I dont believe you)

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish246 View Post
    (im not saying I dont believe you)
    We'll Believe'em!! An X pipe will do you more good than dumps!

It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous