Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Here we go

russ84

Default Here we go

Hey,
    I'm new here just bought my 1st vette last saturday. Its an 84 white coupe. I took it to the local mechaninc to have the suspension checked out. ( I was told it needed new bearings and bushings from the seller).
    So I have ordered new hub and bearings all the way around, a new poly bushing kit, front and rear sway bar bushing kit. I am now waiting for all of the goodies to arrive. I hope I have not bit off more than I can chew, I am pretty good at working on stuff but any school of hard knocks tips and tricks would be helpfull. Thanks and wish me luck. I cant wait to get this thing on the road the weather is really starting to get nice up in the Ozarks

Corvette(s)
    1986 Black Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the russ and congrats on the purchase of your 1st vette. I know you will have a lot of fun with it. There are plenty of folks here to help you with any problems you should encounter, so just enjoy

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Welcome aboard, the 84's don't get much respect...but in my book all Corvettes are cool. Some bushings aren't too bad to replace, some I would probably leave to the experts. Which bushings are you replacing? A-arm bushings (upper and lower) I would just let someone else do them, as well as the "batwing" bushings. But I have replaced sway bar bushings in my garage. The "dog bone" bushings I'd give a go at myself (mine are still OK).

Corvette(s)
    1984 Pearl White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 1984 Corvette

1984 Corvette had the stiffest spring rate among all Vettes.
    I own a 1984 Corvette.
    I am pretty happy w/ it.
    I should have kept CFI w/ NOS hidden underneith the air cleaner.
    low key high powered.

Corvette(s)
    84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by GO_VETTE View Post
    1984 Corvette had the stiffest spring rate among all Vettes.
    I own a 1984 Corvette.
    I am pretty happy w/ it.
    I should have kept CFI w/ NOS hidden underneith the air cleaner.
    low key high powered.
    You got rid of your CFI? The purists will be pissed. Did you go to a carb?

russ84

Quote Originally Posted by toms94 View Post
    Welcome aboard, the 84's don't get much respect...but in my book all Corvettes are cool. Some bushings aren't too bad to replace, some I would probably leave to the experts. Which bushings are you replacing? A-arm bushings (upper and lower) I would just let someone else do them, as well as the "batwing" bushings. But I have replaced sway bar bushings in my garage. The "dog bone" bushings I'd give a go at myself (mine are still OK).

I ordered a kit that is for the front and rear end. I'm not real sure which ones I'm going to try to replace yet. I will know more when the bushings get in and I start tearing into it.

Corvette(s)
    1984 Pearl White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by nelson84 View Post
    You got rid of your CFI? The purists will be pissed. Did you go to a carb?
    CARB?
    sorry I need an electrnoically controlled car that as effecient as possible.
    .Well to take it a step farther why do two engine of the same make sound different?

Fuel injection (port) is smoother/quieter because the incoming charge does not have to figure out which way to go (due to different intake pulses). In a carburated car the charge gets "confused" add a big cam to it and it makes it worse, that's where the lopey idle comes from.

I know that was not a scientific answer but, that is how I understand/think about it.
    I have factory L83 engine,the factory internals were already good to begin with.
    the only thing I dont have is aluminum block or aluminum heads.
    But then I am on a diet anyways, so there I go...reducing weight anyways..

My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 158 of 219 by NY - MySpace Photos

Corvette(s)
    1988 White Coupe (totaled), 1992 lt1 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

well Russ, and congrads. I bought my 1st vet in Dec and I love her. i've had many antique muscle cars but no one is a closer family than vet owners. is yours an automatic or 4+3 manual?

Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Welcome to CAC... The 84 being the first year C4 seems to get most of the negative press. I just drove one over the weekend, and it was one sweet ride. Owner had installed the Gabriel Ultra shocks, which made a big difference in the ride. Get yourself a copy of the factory service manuals and enjoy!!!

russ84

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool153 View Post
    well Russ, and congrads. I bought my 1st vet in Dec and I love her. i've had many antique muscle cars but no one is a closer family than vet owners. is yours an automatic or 4+3 manual?
    It is the 4 speed automatic. I'm still waiting on my parts to show up. I guess that is the worst thing about haveing to order stuff online is the wait.

Corvette(s)
    Yellow '84 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I like my '84! It's soooo much better than a friend's '82, but after all, the '82 suspension is basicly the same as a '63!! Welcome to the CAC!

S.T.W.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by russ84 View Post
    I ordered a kit that is for the front and rear end. I'm not real sure which ones I'm going to try to replace yet. I will know more when the bushings get in and I start tearing into it.
    Bushes are easy.After you have removed the arms ,drill through the old rubbers with a 1/4" drill until you can push them out.
    The polys are 2 piece so they just slip back in.Use the lube that comes with the bushes
    Come back here when you are ready to change out the hubs

Corvette(s)
    2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Welcome to the russ! And congrats on your first Corvette... in fact, a Corvette, Springtime and the Ozarks sounds like a winning combination to me!

Here's a link to the 1984 model page located in the CAC Model Center:
    CAC Tech Center | Model Center | 1984 Model

Enjoy!
    And post pix of that '84 with Ozarks scenery in the background when you get 'em. We promise to be extremely vocal in our appreciation.

Jane Ann

For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble.

Corvette(s)
    1984 White/Red Z51 4+3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey Dude! I have an 84 CF also. Love mine. Just wait till you start driving it. You will love yours too!