Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1989 Medium Blue Metallic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Bolt On Horsepower Calculation

I have searched everywhere for a program or something that would assist me with calculating bolt on horsepower. I know if I did find something, it wouldn't be real accurate but I would like to find something to get me in the ballpark. As you can see from my profile and signature, I have some bolt ons. If I go to the low end of what horsepower gains I should see based on the manufactures, it is about 170. I know I can't be getting that much horsepower from bolt ons but I sure would like to know what kind of horsepower gains I may have. I will probably break down and pay to run the car on a dyno. The curiosity is getting the best of me. I just need to know. Please help!
    Thanks,
    Lee
    MODS: TPIS Big Mouth Intake Manifold, SLP Siamese Runners, Ported & Polished Plenum, Bosch Design III Flow Matched Fuel Injectors, TPIS Adjustable Fuel Regulator Hat, TB Coolant Bypass, TB Air Foil, Air Pump Eliminator Kit, Water Pump Dampener (Frisbee) Removed, Vortex Rammer Cold Air System, Accel Coil-Cap- Rotor-Wires & AC Plat.Plugs, 180 Thermostat, MAF Screens Removed, Azzato Chips custom PROM,Melrose Long Tube Headers, X-Pipe and Borla Mufflers

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

TRY THIS
    based on your 1/4 mile speed
    BHP = (.00426XMPH)(cubed) x WEIGHT
    It's pretty close

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I am looking at the vortex rammer and was wondering how it works for you?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    Hey Bucket,
    I have not ran my car in the 1/4 yet but when I do I will do the math you suggested. As far as the rammer, it looks and sounds great but as far as performance, I don't have any numbers. It has to be better then the stock unit. I also installed the power coupler which is no more then a rubber tube between the TB and rammer without the corrugated ribs inside. I am sure the ribs disrupt the air flow causing some power robbing.

Thanks for the response,
    Lee

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

it's strange than in another post i described this type of ram air almost exactly..then..i found the vortex..
    i'm sure it'll do just peachy..lol
    my coupler (LT1)seems to much less restrictive than the previous years..with the ribs...so it will be ok also..
    fyi. with your curb weight , 100 mph is around 300 horse..depending on gears of course..
    in my last lt1(camero) the 410 ring was THE biggest improvement in performance without sacraficing reliability or driveability,.
    i cut my top end down from 160+ to around 140...
    the speedo had a 20% error..(showing 100 was actually 80 mph) so it was easy to drive and stay leagle but would turn around in second gear under full throttle..with a stock lt1 and cold package.

Corvette(s)
    1995 LT1 Polo Green Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

According to Mid America I have a Gazillion horsepower.

Dyno it.

95-Lt1-auto-Polo-Conv, 125hp ZEX N2O dry, LE Cam 226/234 565/565 109LSA, Comp Pro Mag 1.6rr, Patriot Xtreme Springs, PCMFORLESS tune, K&N, AO Ram Air, 52mm TB, EM LT Headers, No Muffler, X-pipe, Meziere HD EWP, Vigil 2800 Conv, TransGo Shift Kit, Pro-Built 4L60E Trans., 24lb SVO's, MSD Coil & 8.5mm wires, NGK TR6 plugs, B&M TransCooler, Dewitt Radiator, 160 therm, TB AirFoil, 3.07 Rear Axle, LT4 KM, S&D Rotors, SS BrakeLines, Hawk HPS Pads, ZR1 rims 275/315. 1967-Firebird-conv-2spd-326ci

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

according to my precise calculations...your exactly right

Bolt On Horsepower Calculation Vettefan87's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Z52 Black Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have it on mine. You wont get the 30 some odd HP they claim, but at higher speeds its somewhat noticeable. If it does nothing more its a lot more aesthetically pleasing then the stock unit.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

i remember noticing a big difference on a cool(cold) nite a lot more than just everyday in the city..with my z 28..

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

i remember noticing a big difference on a cool nite a lot more than just everyday in the city.
    Well known fact ; cold air makes Hp.
    Problem I see with Vortex is it is still drawing air from down low where it has heat off the road , very little diff in temp to air going into stock air cleaner.You have to be going 200mph to get any "ram " air affect

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette Emma View Post
    MODS: TPIS Big Mouth Intake Manifold, SLP Siamese Runners, Ported & Polished Plenum, ........................, Azzato Chips custom PROM
    I don't see any exhaust mods there.You appear to have it all going in but nothing coming out
    Headers and free flowing exhaust are the best bang for $$$ on a L98; first recommended mod for these engine

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Exhaust Mods or Lack Of

Hey Vetteoz,
    You are absolutly right, I have not made any exhaust mods. It depends what you read and who writes it. Some places I have read that the L98 exhaust is better then the LT1 and other places I read says I can get an extra 50 horses with an exhaust system. I do plan on doing the exhaust but I am not sure what to do, the Cat Back or go for Long Tube Headers, eliminate the cats and go dual out the back. I do like the torque but I also what some top end. I am so confused and I just want to do the right thing when I drop another 2-3k into the car. What is your opinion on the exhaust???
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by vetteoz View Post
    Well known fact ; cold air makes Hp.
    Problem I see with Vortex is it is still drawing air from down low where it has heat off the road , very little diff in temp to air going into stock air cleaner.You have to be going 200mph to get any "ram " air affect

I don't see any exhaust mods there.You appear to have it all going in but nothing coming out
    Headers and free flowing exhaust are the best bang for $$$ on a L98; first recommended mod for these engine

Bolt On Horsepower Calculation rascal_rascal_99's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    92 coupe black rose
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Don't forget to put the stickers on the car from all the parts manufacturers, any ricer knows that only half the horsepower at best comes from the bolt on part, the rest of it comes from the sticker being added to the car. There's another theory that goes along with this, that the percentage of advertised horsepower gain is directly porportional to the placement of each sticker being put in the most aesthetically unpleasing location.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

i disagree..
    the outside air is way cooler than the under the hood air..it's not about "ram air"
    it's about fresh air.
    the stock airbox draws air from around the radiator under the hood..thats usually well above 150 degrees ...it's usually a bit cooler than that on the street here in L A.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default So True

It's funny you say that because I was kidding with my wife the other day about where I should put all the stickers. She told me that if I put any stickers on the car she wouldn't ride in it anymore. Is that a good thing or a bad thing????
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by rascal_rascal_99 View Post
    Don't forget to put the stickers on the car from all the parts manufacturers, any ricer knows that only half the horsepower at best comes from the bolt on part, the rest of it comes from the sticker being added to the car. There's another theory that goes along with this, that the percentage of advertised horsepower gain is directly porportional to the placement of each sticker being put in the most aesthetically unpleasing location.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Dyno

I am checking into local dyno houses now. (@ $100.00 per hour).
    I know I am not blowing the doors off anything I would just like to know that I have improved the car some.
    Thanks,
    Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by rickreeves1 View Post
    According to Mid America I have a Gazillion horsepower.

Dyno it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast