Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bolt On Horsepower Calculation rascal_rascal_99's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette Emma View Post
    It's funny you say that because I was kidding with my wife the other day about where I should put all the stickers. She told me that if I put any stickers on the car she wouldn't ride in it anymore. Is that a good thing or a bad thing????
    Lee

Well if you were hoping to go pick up your girlfriend, it'd definitely be a good thing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    .it's not about "ram air"
    According to Vortex's abv blurb it is
    "The system takes pressurized air from the radiator cavity, sends it through the radiator shroud into the specially designed scoop and forces it into the sealed box of the Rammer".

Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    i disagree..
    the stock airbox draws air from around the radiator under the hood..
    The stock air cleaner is in front of the radiator shroud which directs hot air back over the engine.The only time air from the radiator can get to the cleaner is when you are still.Once moving outside air comes up to the air cleaner.The hot air from the radiator does not do a 180 turn and go out the front of the engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It depends what you read and who writes it. Some places I have read that the L98 exhaust is better then the LT1 and other places I read says I can get an extra 50 horses with an exhaust system.... I do like the torque but I also what some top end.
    LT1 exh is better than L98
    Do the LT's and Y pipe at least , you can always change the cat back later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Dyno

I have to call back Friday to see if I can make three pulls on Saturday and then see what the next modification will be. I am going to Welcome to Anderson Performance Automotive! , check out their web site, they have a buick grand national going 7.25. WOW! If they can get me in Saturday, I will post my RWHP for all the world (CAC) to see. I just hope I am not too disappointed with the numbers. If I have 300 RWHP I will be happy. What do you think. I know I have a lot of front end mods and nothing aft but something is better then nothing. The front end stuff is easier for me to do because I don't have a lift. What do you think I should spend on an exhaust system?
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by vetteoz View Post
    LT1 exh is better than L98
    Do the LT's and Y pipe at least , you can always change the cat back later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default DYNO RESULTS

OK people, I ran my car on the dyno today (4/4/09) with the following results from the two pulls:
    Dyno Run 1 - Max Power = 233.12 rwhp, Max Torque = 300.76
    Dyno Run 2 - Max Power = 236.09 rwhp, Max Torque = 297.84
    It just goes to show you that the numbers posted by manufacturers for bolt on parts can not be believed. From all my bolt ons, if I use the low side number, I should have gained 170 horsepower. Using the GM base 245 fwhp for my car and a calculated 283 fwhp (dyno 236+20%), I only gained 38 horsepower, which is 22% of what the wonderful bolt on manufacturers claimed. I knew the claimed horsepower gains from the bolt ons were too good to be true but I thought I would have gained more then 38 horsepower. Unless my starting horsepower was less then 245, then I gained more but I didn't dyno before doing all my mods. At least going forward I will know my gains. Don't assume or guess your HP, find an affordable shop to run it on a dyno. I paid $75 for 2 runs.
    I would like to thank everybody for their feedback on my thread.
    Lee

Bolt On Horsepower Calculation rascal_rascal_99's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Lemme guess...you didn't put on the stickers did you

rascal

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Another name for a dyno is ego buster.

I was at a dyno day and they ask everyone what their power would be before they run it on the dyno and nearly everyone guessed way too high.

MBDiagMan

Hey Vetteoz,
    You are absolutly right, I have not made any exhaust mods. It depends what you read and who writes it. Some places I have read that the L98 exhaust is better then the LT1 and other places I read says I can get an extra 50 horses with an exhaust system. I do plan on doing the exhaust but I am not sure what to do, the Cat Back or go for Long Tube Headers, eliminate the cats and go dual out the back. I do like the torque but I also what some top end. I am so confused and I just want to do the right thing when I drop another 2-3k into the car. What is your opinion on the exhaust???
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Lee
    50 horsepower is quite a hopeful thought. The only way you could have a chance for such horsepower gains is if that exhaust system includes full length headers.

MBDiagMan

You need to get a copy of Desktop Dyno. It gives the most accurate calculations this side of an engine dyno.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12