• A Newbie in need of suggestions

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Kats246 View Post
    I've turned to cyber space in the hopes that someone out there has had the same or similar problem with their vette. Thanks for the info and the welcome I'm getting lots of help so far Thanks everyone!
    I know you said you had the Cat replaced, but someone here did mention that a bad Cat can throw pieces into other parts in the system.

I had to replace my catalytic converter and mufflers because of chunks in the system. Here were my symptoms (similar but not exact to yours):
    1) Low gears felt like I was a bad stick shift driver
    2) Couldn't exceed 40mph on a flat road
    3) Couldn't climb a hill I would estimate to be 20-30 degrees off flat
    4) Car would rev with little pressure out the exhaust

I am no where near as quaified as your circle of friends when it comes to fixing cars, but if you are looking for similar stories this is mine.
    When I bought a fixer-upper because I thought it would be fun, I had no idea how much fun it would take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Kats246 View Post
    Thanks! A driving fuel pressure test was done and pressure remained constant. See my response to toptechx6 I confess I did take it to a second garage. I do have gas/oil mix but, if diaphragm is reputured wouldn't the fuel pressure be all over the place or are you saying not necessarially?
    Well that eliminates my idea then ..a ruptured regulator will make one run rich and gas up a crankcase...I'd say i'm wrong on both guesses....Frankly I 've been on some of the Vette forums for a while now and injectors seem to be a fairly weak link in fuel systems on the C4s (many threads and posts) since you have a VOM they're pretty easy to check. You'll likely find your problem there. In defense of the techs you know and have been dealing with.. injectors are (IMO) the most overlooked ..misdiagnosed and forgotten components when "chasing " a running problem. I know first hand By the way good job on the info you gave the forum members..sometimes it's hard to make a diagnosis with very little info

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I had the same problem and it was 2 injectors were bad, got all 8 replaced and the car runs great.

tonylong

Quote Originally Posted by vette079@hotmail.com View Post
    Since you added injector cleaner, and the engine started behaving like you described, I would test the injectors.
    If you have a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) you can do a simple test.
    Cold engine, open the hood, remove the connector to the first injector (press the metal clip and pull the connector).
    Now, set the DVM at 2K or 200 ohm and put the leads on the injector and write down what you get.
    Then you put the connector back on and proceed with the other ones, so you wonīt mix up the connectors and injectors.
    Do so with all 8.
    They should show values between 12 and 17, but they canīt differ more than 0.3-0.5 ohm from each other.
    If there is one that is like under 10 ohm, you found a very possible cause to the erratic idle and gas in the oil smell.
    You can perform this on a warm engine as well.
    Check this one out in case of injector failure, you could call him the king of injectors.
    Fuel Injector Connection
    Or look on the left side of this page for SouthBay Fuel Injectors, same products.
    I believe the injectors are wired in parallel - I'd disconnect all the leads and then test each injector separately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Hurrah!!!!! I think I found it!

On the suggestion and great detailed discription from vette079@hotmail.com I performed the Ohms test this morning and found that cylinder 3=1.9 and 7=8.3 I can't believe that this was not checked before now! I am speachless!

Thank You all for your help and patience with me, I know I got a little wordy.
    This site is the BOMB!!!!
    Will replace all 8 injectors
    Can anyone recommend a good affordable brand? As we all know I can't trust anyone around here.

Thanks Again and Again!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vette079@hotmail.com View Post
    Since you added injector cleaner, and the engine started behaving like you described, I would test the injectors.
    If you have a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) you can do a simple test.
    Cold engine, open the hood, remove the connector to the first injector (press the metal clip and pull the connector).
    Now, set the DVM at 2K or 200 ohm and put the leads on the injector and write down what you get.
    Then you put the connector back on and proceed with the other ones, so you wonīt mix up the connectors and injectors.
    Do so with all 8.
    They should show values between 12 and 17, but they canīt differ more than 0.3-0.5 ohm from each other.
    If there is one that is like under 10 ohm, you found a very possible cause to the erratic idle and gas in the oil smell.
    You can perform this on a warm engine as well.
    Check this one out in case of injector failure, you could call him the king of injectors.
    Fuel Injector Connection
    Or look on the left side of this page for SouthBay Fuel Injectors, same products.
    I agree w/the above....John at FIC injectors ..is a super guy to deal with

tonylong

Quote Originally Posted by tonylong View Post
    I believe the injectors are wired in parallel - I'd disconnect all the leads and then test each injector separately.
    Oooops. I wasn't thinking right. When you remove a commector, you can check each injector out of the network. I must've had two beers too many.

tonylong

Quote Originally Posted by TWISTERUP View Post
    I agree w/the above....John at FIC injectors ..is a super guy to deal with
    Ditto for me. My 89 runs great with the injectors from John.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I'll add to the list of advocating Jon's Bosch III replacements.
    The Mul-Techs in the 89 to 91 can be susceptible to damage from injector cleaners and apparently you have that issue.
    I replaced my originals last April with the III's and it runs fine to this day as a daily driver.
    As mentioned above, the injectors aren't noticed or checked by many, unless they have a lot of experience with the Mul-Techs. So please, don't kill your Tech yet

vette079

Great to see you found A problem, could be morestuff going on, but itīs the free stuff we must check first, before we make the mechanics happier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Stella's Got Her Grove Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replaced all 8 injectors with Jon Banners Bosch III and we're off and running again! Took it out for a 25 mile ride this morning and she's running like new again! Thanks again everyone. This a fantastic resource and I'll be sure to spread the good word about this site.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12