Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Towu4free

Default new shoes for my vette today!!

hello all, just checkin in to let ya know i got some new tires for my vette today, i have aftermarket chrome sawblades and they are 9.5 all around so i got 275/40/17 Nexen N3000 tires they have an awsome tread pattern and ride wonderful!! i wanted to get some input from you guys...the maxium PSI for the tires is 44lbs ...what would you reccomend running them at for a smooth ride but not putting drag on the car? thanks guys

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Towu4free View Post
    hello all, just checkin in to let ya know i got some new tires for my vette today, i have aftermarket chrome sawblades and they are 9.5 all around so i got 275/40/17 Nexen N3000 tires they have an awsome tread pattern and ride wonderful!! i wanted to get some input from you guys...the maxium PSI for the tires is 44lbs ...what would you reccomend running them at for a smooth ride but not putting drag on the car? thanks guys
    33-36 lb cold is about where your going to get the best tire ware!!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    1988 Dark Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Practically all vehicles have a sticker at the end of the driver's door that lists the recommended air pressure.

Towu4free

Quote Originally Posted by ZumZum View Post
    Practically all vehicles have a sticker at the end of the driver's door that lists the recommended air pressure.
    yes mine does have that but im running 275/40/17s all around not the factory staggered sizes thanks guys!

Towu4free

Quote Originally Posted by ZumZum View Post
    im running 36psi now

Corvette(s)
    '92 Red Convertible / '99 Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Towu4free View Post
    im running 36psi now
    I run my '99 and '92 at 28 cold. This roughly translates to 4 or 5psi higher when hot (not racing or at a track, but just normal spirited driving). If you like a stiffer ride then keep the pressure where you currently have it.

CG

Towu4free

Quote Originally Posted by Curious George View Post
    I run my '99 and '92 at 28 cold. This roughly translates to 4 or 5psi higher when hot (not racing or at a track, but just normal spirited driving). If you like a stiffer ride then keep the pressure where you currently have it.

CG
    thanks man! and i rather the smoother ride and best traction because we all know the rearend of them darn vettes likes to travel faster then the front when launching hehehe

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Based on having run several different sets of tires on my 95, when not loading the car heavily, I run 26-28 psi cold.

When I load it up for a trip, I run 28 psi cold in front and 30 psi cold in the rear and I add 1/2-in. rear ride height.

When going to the track or on an aggressive run on the street I go 34-36 psi cold.

If you run 34-36 cold, you'll be 40 or so once you warm the tires and on a race track you'll be in the mid-40s.

That may wear the centers of the treads out prematurely during normal street driving.

The placard on the door usually gives pressure recommended for use with the vehicle at GVW. Interestingly, most Corvettes are at GVW with two persons and no cargo.

Rude98

36lbs sounds like very close to right on. Your not running ZP's so that should feel good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I ran 30 in my C4s. Seemed perfect to me. Good ride and they rotted before they wore out.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012