Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bill

Corvette(s)
    1990 Corvette coupe Bright Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Bill

I have a 90 Vette with 28,000 miles on it. This car sits in my garage under a cover most of the time. For the last two years, I put about 100 miles on it annually. The other day I decided to take it out. At first it was running flawlessly then it started sputtering/hesitation. Then it went away. Then I drove another 3 or 4 miles, parked the car for about 30 minutes. Then I got back in and it started right up. On my way home, I noticed about 2 miles into the drive, it was sputtering. I stopped at a red light and my idle was dropping down (low rpm's) Had to give it a little gas to make it stop running erratic. I then pulled into a parking lot. When I stopped it started running extremely erratic and the engine started knocking and it shut itself off. I tried to restart it about 10 times - no success. I walked to a gas station and bought 5 gallons of gas. Put that in and kept trying to start it for another 10 minutes.Had to get the car towed. At my house I decided to troubleshoot by shooting ether in the throttle body. The car started up and ran perfect for about 1 minute and then shuts off. Did this again 2 or 3 times. I also changed wiper relay with fuel pump relay - did not make a difference. I think it could be the fuel pump in gas tank. Any suggestions?

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT1 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

You need to check fuel pressure while cranking...no or low pressure more then likely the pump. I'll also say this todays gas w/ethanol has a very short life before it starts to "break down" and it is also very hard on rubber hoses, fuel pumps, seals and injectors. Once you get this problem figured out ...since you don't drive it much, I would highly recommend some type of fuel stabilizer

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

gotta agree with twister,start with fuel pressure on the rack.you also want to check the ohms on each injector,they could have broken down internally and cause a lot of resistance.if you have low fuel pressure, good! that`s something.check the rubber hoses`at fuel tank and or the pump.that`s assuming the pump is ok.that the problem with a non driver,lots of stuff goes bad just by sitting. the fact that it runs on starting fluid tell me the ignition is probably ok.keep us posted. bill