Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1984 Z51 Silver/Gray & as Much SS & CFibre we find
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by joshwilson3 View Post

Are you sure Ecklers, etc. sell the 84-96 seat belts that go by the door? I've never seen those for sale aftermarket.
    I'm not sure if they do carry the outers with roller NOW but they definitely DID a few years ago. After my passenger belt got jammed I asked my GM parts guy if he could get the medium grey and he couldnt. He could get the black OEM but being curious I checked for the medium grey in aftermarket catalogs and one of those catalogs had them ...and cheaper no less...but only in black too. I know they would have been free from GM but I simply didnt want the black. I actually just took the belt assembly out when replacing carpet, cleaned it up and its worked since.
    I like ted's color since its so similar.... but until mine fail completely I'll just keep 'em since they work well consistantly now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by CorvetteArchives View Post
    I'm not sure if they do carry the outers with roller NOW but they definitely DID a few years ago. After my passenger belt got jammed I asked my GM parts guy if he could get the medium grey and he couldnt. He could get the black OEM but being curious I checked for the medium grey in aftermarket catalogs and one of those catalogs had them ...and cheaper no less...but only in black too. I know they would have been free from GM but I simply didnt want the black. I actually just took the belt assembly out when replacing carpet, cleaned it up and its worked since.
    I like ted's color since its so similar.... but until mine fail completely I'll just keep 'em since they work well consistantly now.
    My guess is Ecklers would have been getting them from the same place as GM. Probably the same thing I'd bet. They are discontinued, so that my be why Ecklers don't carry them.

Funny is a few years ago, the dealer was telling me they couldn't get black. Only gray or red. But after a few weeks, he told me they were able to find a pair from another dealer, and replaced both. I'm not sure if they replaced the inner belts as the defective part was the belt by the door.

Corvette(s)
    91 Dark Green Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The dealer told me on my 91 that was withing the VIN number range that if the belt is not sticking there is nothing to do as not every one is defective..

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by ddahlgren View Post
    The dealer told me on my 91 that was withing the VIN number range that if the belt is not sticking there is nothing to do as not every one is defective..
    They have to be locking up for them to replace them. You just have to hope that they lock up when you take it up to the dealer while they are looking at it.

I think they replace both if just one locks up.

I still never read anywhere what the exact problem is with the belts. Was it a manufacturing defect on some of them, design defect that happens with time, or just luck if they don't fail?

Corvette(s)
    1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi all, On mine, sometimes the belt locks as I'm putting it on and remains slack. I took it to Power Chevrolet in LA with copies of the bulletin and part and vin numbers. They refused to accept the proof,so I left. It's now locking up more frequently, so I'll be looking to another dealer for service. Roger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by roger longman View Post
    Hi all, On mine, sometimes the belt locks as I'm putting it on and remains slack. I took it to Power Chevrolet in LA with copies of the bulletin and part and vin numbers. They refused to accept the proof,so I left. It's now locking up more frequently, so I'll be looking to another dealer for service. Roger.
    Yeah, go to another dealer. If you still have problems, complain to GM. I don't really understand why the dealers turn people away like that. It is a safety issue. And I believe the dealers get paid for the work. I guess they just feel it isn't worth fooling with.

Corvette(s)
    1984 Z51 Silver/Gray & as Much SS & CFibre we find
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Dont bother complaining to GM...just go str8 to the NHTSB. Back in 1999 our 98 Sunfire had a headlight switch recall that Pontiac wasnt honoring. They claimed they couldnt even get the part...and the headlights didnt switch on unless you wiggled the switch and got lucky.
    We filed a complaint online and got a NHTSB case manager who got us the part. Of course GM only had to replace it free ONCE. They claimed later units werent affected but its definitely a design defect since we've had at least 3 switches over the years...I can now change them in 15 minutes when GM manual says it takes 2 hours.

Corvette(s)
    1986 coupe white over silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have an 86 and was told GM didn't have records that far back to check if the belts were replaced or not. I mentioned I have a friend who is an attorney ( I really don't ) and will have him take names and kick ass if I get hurt in accident because they didn't do the replacement, they changed their mind and replaced them. When it is a safety recall they must have proof it was done, and safety recall has no experation date, even if it's 30-40 years. If they don't want to do it, just start asking for names and positions of employees you contacted, ask for owners names, etc, and TELL THEM you are giving info to a lawyer in case anything happens to you. Be calm and polite. It works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by bryanjamesjr View Post
    I have an 86 and was told GM didn't have records that far back to check if the belts were replaced or not. I mentioned I have a friend who is an attorney ( I really don't ) and will have him take names and kick ass if I get hurt in accident because they didn't do the replacement, they changed their mind and replaced them. When it is a safety recall they must have proof it was done, and safety recall has no experation date, even if it's 30-40 years. If they don't want to do it, just start asking for names and positions of employees you contacted, ask for owners names, etc, and TELL THEM you are giving info to a lawyer in case anything happens to you. Be calm and polite. It works.
    Yeah, fvck the dealer. I've had nothing but problems with the dealer at their mechanic shop, and their body shop.

The funny thing is getting the seat belts replaced went very smooth. They even found me black belts that they previously said were discontinued.

The parts department tends to do me pretty good. But I wish they would sell me parts below list price like every other retailer does. Sometimes I go and get a price on something, and laugh at them and tell them I can get the same AC Delco part for $100+ less somewhere else. From my experience, the Dealer charges you at least double for the same parts you can get elsewhere like from the thepartsladi on ebay or other AC Delco parts seller.

Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by bryanjamesjr View Post
    GM has purged older service records. When I purchased my 1988, I had no issues getting all of the service records. On my 1989 purchased three years ago, nada. However, this is a safety recall. Call GM customer service and explain the situation. Customer service will contact the dealer and provide instructions on how they can access ALL safety recalls. My dealer had issues at first finding the recall infomation. This recall is belt lockup, and the recall doc has steps to test for it. I guess some service shops might say they work just fine, but I did not run into this on either vette.

CharlesBrown

A phone call to the NTSB resulted in the following...
    Question: Does a recall have an expiration date?
    Answer, No. However, the manufacturer is not "required" to make the repair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesBrown View Post
    Hmm. I thought they were required to? Kinda defeats the whole point of it if the manufacturer doesn't even have to fix it. I would call back and ask someone else.

Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesBrown View Post
    This is different than the infomation GM provided. Safety recalls do not expire, GM must repair if recall applies, GM not required to match seat belt color.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by TedC View Post
    This is different than the infomation GM provided. Safety recalls do not expire, GM must repair if recall applies, GM not required to match seat belt color.
    Yeah, that is the way I understand it too. I think he neglected to mention it was a "safety" recall.

Corvette(s)
    1988 Blue Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Can't find any belts of any color

So I called my dealership back at the beginning of December and they said they would get back to me when they found the parts. I called them back a few days ago, and they said they can't find any belts of any color. They said I need to come in so they can take part numbers so they can look for those specific parts. That sounds weird to me that they want to narrow the search when they can't find anything.

My question is: Is all this supposed to be free? I found belts from J&D Corvette for $190 each. Could I just direct them to that? Do I have to pay for either parts or labor?

Also my belt pulls out just fine, but it remains slack 75% of the time. Is that the same problem? It also seems to fold and get jammed in the slot, which is easily fixed by reaching down there and unfolding it. I am just concerned that they are going to do work on my car, and THEN say, "That wasn't the recall issue so here is the bill."
    When I bought a fixer-upper because I thought it would be fun, I had no idea how much fun it would take.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast