Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by TedC View Post
    Here are the images of the two different grays... Medium Gray (stock color) on the passanger side and Gray (alternative color since Medium gray is no longer available). The new gray belt is lighter in color.
    Still that looks darn good! Thanks for all the follow up info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by CorvetteArchives View Post
    However, they do sell them in the aftermarket in colors....go figure!
    I haven't been able to find anyplace that sells aftermarket seat belts for the C4. Do you have a source or a link?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Let me address some of the comments made.
    1. This is a safety recall, GM must fix it. I've found some Chevy dealerships just don't care about these real old recalls. GM is not obligated to replace with the same color, but my dealership kept me appraised at each step what colors they could order, and if I wanted to proceed. Recall/ordering instructions printed like a book, so it does require time for the service department to do this correctly.
    2. I've seen OEM seat belts in Eckler's catalog with instuctions to call for pricing and availability.
    3. New belts look great and work really smooth. The buckle side has matching gray covers with a blue belt underneath on the drivers side. Didn't look on passanger side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
    Appreciate this thread. I just called our Chevy dealer here and found out that there are 3 open recalls on my '89! Taking her in Monday.
    Sorry for asking this months later, but what were all the recalls?

My dealership seemed to be very willing to fix this problem once I brought to their attention, and very willing to ignore problems I don't. It actually made me very mad when I found out about this recall since I bought the car from a Chevy dealership. It just seems like a selling point, if they could also say "and here is everything we already fixed on your car free of charge."
    When I bought a fixer-upper because I thought it would be fun, I had no idea how much fun it would take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I had the seat belts replaced in my 89 a couple of years ago under the recall. They are black. And the dealer some how was able to find me some black belts as they were only able to find gray and red belts.

I do wonder. Are these new belts a new design that doesn't have the lock up problem? Or are they the same belt design and will start to fail again?

I do think it would be a good idea on these older cars if someone knows what the problem is with the seat belt to cause the lock up, and rebuild it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I've had my local Chevy dealership replace the seat belts on both my 1988 and 1989 vettes via this recall. From my two samples the replacement belts work better, with no hint of the prior lock up issue. The purpose of my post was to inform members that GM was running out of colors, and they were only obligated to replace the part, not color match it. Safety recalls don't expire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The buckle side has matching gray covers with a blue belt underneath on the drivers side. Didn't look on passanger side.
    I recently had mine apart to install an additional lap belt so I could add a child seat easily (I installed a tether as per GM's Tech Bulletin too--its an 84 so no airbag before someone points that out).
    Anyway, My inner seat belt with the grey cover hiding its true color was...............BROWN!!!
    Good old parts bin construction!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I recently had mine apart to install an additional lap belt so I could add a child seat easily (I installed a tether as per GM's Tech Bulletin too--its an 84 so no airbag before someone points that out).
    Anyway, My inner seat belt with the grey cover hiding its true color was...............BROWN!!!
    Good old parts bin construction!
    Was that color mismatch from the factory? My belts are black on my 89. And I noticed the inner belt by the tranny was red. But was black on the passenger side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

On my 1988 and 1989 the belts from factory all came with the right color, including those that get covered. For my 1988 they were able to get all the right colors. Dealer had commented that I received the last complete gray set. For my 1989, one of the covered belts is blue, and the driver side is a lighter gray vs. the passanger side which has the stock color. You would think they would just make black belts now and be done with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

On my 1988 and 1989 the belts from factory all came with the right color, including those that get covered. For my 1988 they were able to get all the right colors. Dealer had commented that I received the last complete gray set. For my 1989, one of the covered belts is blue, and the driver side is a lighter gray vs. the passanger side which has the stock color. You would think they would just make black belts now and be done with it.
    When they replace the belts on recall. Do they just replace the belts at the door sill? Or also replace the belt latching part by the tranny tunnel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

joshwilson3, Both. The belt latch side that attaches to the center tranny tunnel has a cover over the belt that is color coded. It is the belt under that cover that could end up being an odd color. You only see the difference if you look under the cover. So they replace the complete set. Two on each side, along with new covers as part of this recall. Ordering the parts was a royal pain for the parts department. Ordering instructions looked like a book when they printed it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

joshwilson3, Both. The belt latch side that attaches to the center tranny tunnel has a cover over the belt that is color coded. It is the belt under that cover that could end up being an odd color. You only see the difference if you look under the cover. So they replace the complete set. Two on each side, along with new covers as part of this recall. Ordering the parts was a royal pain for the parts department. Ordering instructions looked like a book when they printed it off.
    Ok, I guess that explains why the driver side is red then.

Oh, and the reason I believe the colors are mismatched at the belt part by the tranny tunnel. Is that they quit making these belts a long while back. They are all out of black. My dealer was some how able to find me a black set from another dealer I believe. If not, then I would have had to get the grey and get them dyed black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by joshwilson3 View Post
    Was that color mismatch from the factory? My belts are black on my 89. And I noticed the inner belt by the tranny was red. But was black on the passenger side.

Yup they ARE original to 1983...they used what they had extra....pretty smart cost wise. I recall when I replaced the carpet years ago that the tranny belt on driver's side was I think blue. What was kinda cool was that under the carpet on passenger footwell the date was labeled and I found an 83 penny too! Coincidence? Maybe, but It was so burried someone on the line must have put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by joshwilson3 View Post
    My dealer was some how able to find me a black set from another dealer I believe. If not, then I would have had to get the grey and get them dyed black.
    I'm surprised since the only color Eckler's,Mid America, etc used to have WAS black. Go figure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yup they ARE original to 1983...they used what they had extra....pretty smart cost wise. I recall when I replaced the carpet years ago that the tranny belt on driver's side was I think blue. What was kinda cool was that under the carpet on passenger footwell the date was labeled and I found an 83 penny too! Coincidence? Maybe, but It was so burried someone on the line must have put it in.

I'm surprised since the only color Eckler's,Mid America, etc used to have WAS black. Go figure!
    I think they should have just made all the inner belts by the tranny to be black. Though, you won't see it anyways unless you move the seat up and look.

Are you sure Ecklers, etc. sell the 84-96 seat belts that go by the door? I've never seen those for sale aftermarket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

FYI,
    Not apart of the recall, however my '93 has red belts under the covers at the tranny tunnel! All original, so even when on the assembly line any belt color could be used on the inboard belts. This is also the case with, my wife's '93. Both interiors are black.

tcxd40

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast