• squeaking clicking noise at back tire?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1987 vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default squeaking clicking noise at back tire?

My 87 just started squeaking and clicking and making strange metal clicking noises at the drivers side rear wheel. Is it a cv joint, u-joint? Is it a hard job to fix and is it dangerous to drive the car? If i fix the drivers side do i have to repeat on passenger side?

Corvette(s)
    Black 89 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 87vettevert View Post
    My 87 just started squeaking and clicking and making strange metal clicking noises at the drivers side rear wheel. Is it a cv joint, u-joint? Is it a hard job to fix and is it dangerous to drive the car? If i fix the drivers side do i have to repeat on passenger side?
    Sounds like a bad U Joint on the half shaft.

How hard it is to change depends on your skill level and proper tools.
    Removing the half shaft is not all that hard to do.
    While the shaft is out I would replace both of them on that shaft.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Jack it up and try to pick up the rear wheel!! If it's loose remove the wheel and check the axle nut!! If it's loose,you probly have a bad wheel bearing like this!! Makes a hell of a racket!!!

It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    1990 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

When I was restoring the C3 Vettes it usually meant a bad wheel bearing.
    I haven't had to do any of that on my C4, But in the C3's if it trashed out in the housing you were in big trouble. Of course they had inner and outer bearings if I remember right.

Corvette(s)
    1987 vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the help i was on another forum and a guy had the same problem said he replaced all six of his u- joints and the sound was still there. I will lift the car today and check the bearing i was also told it could be a spacer or to put anti seize on the spline. Are the bearings available at gm? Does anyone recommend where to buy bearings and u-joints?

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the help i was on another forum and a guy had the same problem said he replaced all six of his u- joints and the sound was still there. I will lift the car today and check the bearing i was also told it could be a spacer or to put anti seize on the spline. Are the bearings available at gm? Does anyone recommend where to buy bearings and u-joints?
    I find more bad bearings than bad U-Joints,But while I'm there I change out the joints anyway!!
    Make sure you get that axle Nut Torqued to 165 Ft Lb,If not you'll be doing it again!!
    I get most of mine from the GM dealer or a dealer supply house,if they can't get them then I check with other Auto Parts stores!!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Are the bearings available at gm? Does anyone recommend where to buy bearings and u-joints?
    $300 from GM dealer
    Cheapest genuine GM AC Delco bearings $100 ea
    Corvette Recycling - Premium Quallity C6, C5, and C4 Used Corvette Parts!

Need 4 x Spicer 1350 series uni's (Spicer # 5-178X with zerk /5-788X for the solid type ) , truck / driveshaft shops are often cheapest
    http://www.actionmachineinc.com/search.aspx?find=1350

Note ; crack the hub nut (36mm ) loose while the weight of the car is on the wheel unless you have a air gun.With age and 160ft/lb allmost impossible to undo with car in air.
    6ft of water pipe on socket bar often needed for leverage.
    Opposite to tighten

Excellent uni replacement guide with pics.
    http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vad...orpujoint.html

Corvette(s)
    2`90 zr1 1 92 callaway 475 snat zr1 artic white
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

the cheapest wheel bearings are actually at the parts ladi on ebay 80 ea and they are white boxed bearings from the same manufacture as gm. also when replacing the U-joints on the half shafts u the super spiecer designation 800 vs799 they have a cool feature press the cups together and they will click locking them on the shaft which makes putting the 1/2 shafts back in much easier . if you get on line and go to denny driveshafts they sell a kit that contains these u joints and straps for 142.00. please dont put ujoints in that have a zerk .it greatly decreases the strength of the u joint. i have the parts ladie rear bearings in my drag car and they have worked awsome for 3 years

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
    the cheapest wheel bearings are actually at the parts ladi on ebay 80 ea and they are white boxed bearings from the same manufacture as gm.
    Lots of debate on other C4 forums as to quality and actual source of white box hubs.I have the ones from Partsladi and the box states "assembled" in USA from components made in other countries including China

Alternate p/n for wheel bearings, pics, cheaper prices... - Corvette Forum

Corvette(s)
    1993 Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Mine did the exact same thing, driver's side, warranty at the time, they told me it was the spacer after replacing all the U-joints. I wonder what happens with that spacer to cause such a crcking sound? Anyone know, please post.

Corvette(s)
    1987 vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Where is the spacer located? Is it plastic? I raised my car and tried moving the tire up and down it had very slight play not much at all.

Corvette(s)
    1987 vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

whats the best way to remove hub from axle? I have to take off emergency brake pads first? How do i remove emergency brake pads?

Corvette(s)
    1987 vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thank you vetteoz that was an excellent link on how to replace u-joints ...very detailed...perfect!!!!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

whats the best way to remove hub from axle? I have to take off emergency brake pads first? How do i remove emergency brake pads?
    Unbolt caliper and wire up , release park brake , rotor should just slide off.
    Hub comes off without touching shoes which remain on the backing plate . Good time to relace them anyway

Make sure you have cracked the hub nut loose before you jack the car !!!!!

Corvette(s)
    1987 vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I cant get the rear hub off does anyone know any tricks or do i need a special tool for the job? I turned the hub foward and backward it's making a cracking clicking metal on metal noise but it's not constant? I cant tell if it's the bearings or the u-joint yet anyone have any ideas....im sure once i get the hub off I'll be able to access the situation better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast