Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    08 VR Convertible 2014 TR Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 86 Removable Hardtop

I was reading the TECH NERD column in the March 2007 CORVETTE Magazine and he was "stumped" on a question a reader had asked. The reader had purchased an 86 roadster and wanted a OEM hardtop, but had heard that since the removable hardtop was not available in 1986, that an adapter kit was required, and where could he get one. On my 91 and 94 roadsters, both with hardtops, the attachment of course was with the brackets behind the door columns, the convertible top rear deck latches, and the windshield "floating" bolts next to the convertible top latches. Does anyone have an 86 convertible or knowledge of the 86 coonvertible that can answer whether the windshield had the "floating" bolts and the threaded bolt receivers behind the doors? If not available, has anyone ever used an adapter kit? The Smooth Line hardtops, from my understanding on other posts in CAC do not attach behind the doors, but only to the convertible deck and windshield latches.

Thanks for any info on this. Maybe the Tech Nerd reads the CAC forums.

Corvette(s)
    2006 Daytona Sunset Orange Roadster 1961 R/W
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

There was a kit from GM in the $250 range that supplied everything for the conversion. It is almost impossilbe to find even at Carlisle. It is only for the 86-87 models. Install new posts, replaces the rear release latches, replaces the windshield latches and has special ratchet for install and removal of the top.

Corvette(s)
    08 VR Convertible 2014 TR Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Beobachter View Post
    There was a kit from GM in the $250 range that supplied everything for the conversion. It is almost impossilbe to find even at Carlisle. It is only for the 86-87 models. Install new posts, replaces the rear release latches, replaces the windshield latches and has special ratchet for install and removal of the top.

Thanks for the information on the GM kit. I just sent the Tech Nerd the info and said that it came from CAC member. Hope this helps the person who inquired.

chilly

Default Hard Top

The '86 does require a kit and it includes that mount behind the door posts. I have one for sale if you of anyone looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Vette View Post
    I was reading the TECH NERD column in the March 2007 CORVETTE Magazine and he was "stumped" on a question a reader had asked. The reader had purchased an 86 roadster and wanted a OEM hardtop, but had heard that since the removable hardtop was not available in 1986, that an adapter kit was required, and where could he get one. On my 91 and 94 roadsters, both with hardtops, the attachment of course was with the brackets behind the door columns, the convertible top rear deck latches, and the windshield "floating" bolts next to the convertible top latches. Does anyone have an 86 convertible or knowledge of the 86 coonvertible that can answer whether the windshield had the "floating" bolts and the threaded bolt receivers behind the doors? If not available, has anyone ever used an adapter kit? The Smooth Line hardtops, from my understanding on other posts in CAC do not attach behind the doors, but only to the convertible deck and windshield latches.

Thanks for any info on this. Maybe the Tech Nerd reads the CAC forums.