Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    1986 silver metallic coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default looking for some advice!

I am in the process of trying to find a used vette.I have never owned one but always wanted one!I came across a 85 owned by a customer of mine with 92,000 on it in very good condition and I could get it for 4500.00. he is very desperate to get it out of his garage.Should I jump on this?I had my heart set on A 93-96 model but I do not know anything about mid 80's models.Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Corvette(s)
    Vetteless
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

85 was the first year for the Tuned Port Injection. Owning an 84 I can tell you they are nice cars. Not much really awful on them except the Mass Air flow Sensor which can be expensive to replace but everything else is not that bad. If it is a Manual car it will have the 4+3 tranny which is a love/hate relationship for some people. All in all the price sounds right to me it would make a great starter Vette and provide loads of fun.

Mannnn... You Must Be Fast, Because You Were Haulin ASS When I Passed You!!

Gone but not forgotten bossvette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1968 1997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

check out these sections of the toolbox located in the tech center

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/buying.html
    http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/buyform.html

the price is attractive, I paid the same for a 76 that needed a bunch of work which I am able to do myself.
    Good luck and welcome to CAC I am in the NW corner of Ohio not far from Indiana, what part are you in?
    Craig sr

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wannavette
    I am in the process of trying to find a used vette.I have never owned one but always wanted one!I came across a 85 owned by a customer of mine with 92,000 on it in very good condition and I could get it for 4500.00. he is very desperate to get it out of his garage.Should I jump on this?I had my heart set on A 93-96 model but I do not know anything about mid 80's models.Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Get a trusted mechanic or two to check the vehicle out. Run a Carfax report on it.

Some of the most expensive things on a Corvette are tires, the paint, weatherstrip and interior parts. Those are things that wear out with age, no exceptions so check those out carefully. Could you take some pics for us?

looking for some advice! Vettefan87's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Z52 Black Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That sounds about right if everything checks out to be alright, like the seats and the dash, and the carpet, What is the condition of the paint? Im my paper I seen a 86 red coupe with 70,000 miles and they wanted around 7 thousand. So they are out there if you shop around, but there will be others you dont have to buy the first vette you look at. Good luck

Corvette(s)
    1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I agree with just about everything that has been said. I dont know how much you plan on driving it? You could purchase the car and enjoy it for a while, then sell it again for no loss. At that price, it would be a deal, if the car checks out.

Craig

Moonunit 451

Quote Originally Posted by Vettefan87
    That sounds about right if everything checks out to be alright, like the seats and the dash, and the carpet, What is the condition of the paint? Im my paper I seen a 86 red coupe with 70,000 miles and they wanted around 7 thousand. So they are out there if you shop around, but there will be others you dont have to buy the first vette you look at. Good luck
    Well said