$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    1987Silvervette

Default Royal Purple oil

Ok vettadicts,

I am considering switching my new 355 over from a base 10-30w oil to the royal pruple synthetic. My 355 has about 1000 miles on it, would yall recomend this switch of not????

Moonunit 451

Royal Purple is supposed to be good, but why not just use Mobil One? You can find it at decent prices at places like Costco or Walmart in multiquart doses.

Lots of info here if you're interested

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Corvette(s)
    '90 coupe (gone) '96 CE LT4 Z51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

There are a lot of bikers at work and they all use Royal Purple. Supposed to be good stuff. I've been using Mobil 1 in all my vehicles for about 15 yrs now. Ever since GM recommended Mobil 1 for all the ZR1's. Seems like there was a placcard or something that said use only Mobil 1.

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I use Mobil 1, a lot of Vette' guys go with Mobil 1. Don't forget to use a good oil filter, ie. anything but FRAM. Preferably Mobil 1, K&N, Delco or Purolator Pure One.

Corvette(s)
    1986 White Coupe w all options.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Its supposed to be really good, I've considered switching to it before.

Any synthetic is fine though.

taegdh

From my own personal experience and what I've read, now at 1000 to 5000 miles after you've rebuilt the engine, is THE time to switch to the synthetic base oils if that is your intention.

Reasoning: You now have had the time to let the rings, bearings and valve system get "broken in" but no over done the tolerances. Make certain that you drain all of the old oil out of the engine, and use a HIGH QUALITY oil filter.

I did have one mechanic who professed that the proper way to do it was to do an oil change with the same weight oil, at a thousand miles. Then five hundred to another thousand miles later, (a week at the max), then do another oil change, this time to put in the synthetic oil. His reasoning was the first oil change was to get all the oil with the residue from the rebuild out of the engine and the second was to ensure that it was still going to hold up, and clean out any left over impurities. I could see his point, but synthetic oils and oil filtration media have improved exponentially in the last 20 years.

Mobil One is the lubricant of choice for the Corvette, as well as half a dozen other automobiles and trucks from the factory. There must be something good to it, for it to come from the factory in the crankcase.

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

BTW, you can get Mobil 1 synthetic at Wal Mart for $20 in the 5 quart containers!

Corvette(s)
    2003 Spiral Gray Convertible, 1996 LT4 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I've used Royal Purple in my LT4 for the past 3 years with excellent results. I autox the car 2-3 times a month from Feb - Nov so the engine gets some reasonable use and have never had any problems. Main reason I switched: heard the change would add 3-5 RWHP so I had the car dyno'd with stock Mobile 1 then changed to RP and re-ran the dyno, difference was a plus 4.5 RWHP - in a sport timed to the thousandth of a second, every horse counts!

drags1998

Lots of good advice here, Royal Purple is IMPOSSIBLE to get around here, Most everyone around here uses Mobil 1. Make sure the engine is broken in before you switch!!!!! Good Luck!!!!

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by AStockVette
    I've used Royal Purple in my LT4 for the past 3 years with excellent results. I autox the car 2-3 times a month from Feb - Nov so the engine gets some reasonable use and have never had any problems. Main reason I switched: heard the change would add 3-5 RWHP so I had the car dyno'd with stock Mobile 1 then changed to RP and re-ran the dyno, difference was a plus 4.5 RWHP - in a sport timed to the thousandth of a second, every horse counts!
    I remember they did that switch and dyno on a LS1 SS. They used RP motor oil and differential fluid and something else. They gained close to 8 at the wheels!