$projecthp
  • Tired of trying to diagnose my transmission issues with it leaking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Tired of trying to diagnose my transmission issues with it leaking.

Hey all, this is my first time posting on this forum. Last summer I bought my first corvette. Since I got it, Iíve been having issues with it leaking badly. Iím 16 so Iím new to doing work like this. If I drove it long enough it would run completely out of fluid, which doesnít make sense to me because my pan itself isnít leaking(not a cooler line either.) Again Iím 16 and Iím new to working on cars, but I bought this car specifically to work on and not pay someone else to do the work for me. Well anyway, I replaced the trans filter and gasket. I knew it wasnít the smartest thing to do, but I connected a 3/8Ē hose the the Ďsending cooler lineí that went to the radiator and turned the car on to drain the fluid. By doing that I fear I just blew my front seal possibly. Instead of leaking from the gasket onto the splash shield, itís consistently pouring out of the splash shieldhole. I have a friend who has a shop with a lift and I was wondering if I should even bother replacing the seal, if thatís even the main issue. I donít think Iíll be able to diagnose it myself, and itís best left to a professional, but nobody is going to tell me whatís wrong with it and let me repair it myself anyway. I donít have 1500 for a new transmission until I know for sure mine is blown. So until then I want to keep trying. Any way to further diagnose it without taking it out? Again it leaks fluid like crazy upon startup. Thanks for any and all help. Happy new year.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It's not uncommon for the front seal to start leaking on a older transmission, Don't run it dry though, Catastrophic Damage will result!

Welcome to CAC !
    Last edited by gmjunkie; 01-01-20 at 07:35 PM.
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    93 Ruby Aniv roadster/6spd
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

U TUBE ,I use it quite a bit to get at least a idea of what is involved etc. Ya have a 700r4 trans in your vette BTW.so heres 1 vid of many on it.
    YouTube
    Currently 93 Ruby 40th Anniversary Roadster/6 SPD

Previous 58,68,70,76,78,85,90

Corvette(s)
    1981 dark blue metallic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Welcome to CAC!!!!
    enjoy and good luck with your transmission'
    your best bet besides you tube,would be to get a factory shop manual.for the specific year of your corvette.
    it will tell you everything you need to know about repairing your corvette!!!
    Bill and Gail...save the wave
    NCRS member 42415
    1981 St.Louis car #2735
    all matching numbers

born Sept 18,1980
    Cruisefest 2008
    Cruisefestous 2009
    Cruisefest 2010
    Cruisefest 2011
    Cruisefest2012

Without Trucks......
    You would be Hungry,Homeless and Naked!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

hey thanks for all of the replies. I do have an actual factory repair manual for the car. I was wondering if it would be better once I have the transmission out to bring it to a repair shop for them to further diagnose it. I honestly donít trust my skillset enough to be doing transmission work myself. Wondering how much you guys think it would cost to repair vs doing it myself? Thanks

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

TAT | Auto & Transmission Repair | Online Parts Store :

Most of the cost is labor naturally,but to replace the front input/torque converter seal you will need that tool. You might be able to use a pipe .Dont know if you can borrow 1 from the car chains. Good luck.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Most Auto Zones,Advanced AP,Car Quest and NAPA have loner installers if you buy the part from them.
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Iím just worried something else may be bad too. For all I know, my transmission COULD be on its way out. Itís just I donít want to have to make multiple trips to my friends shop, Iím hoping I can do with it being out once. Like I said in the initial thread, I did run it out of fluid. Not sure if it overheated or if it was just fluid going onto the exhaust, but as far as I know itíll still go through every gear. My point is Iím not sure it would be worth the time just to do a $5 part, after reading about every other possible thing that could/could have gone wrong.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 1red85vette View Post
    I’m just worried something else may be bad too. For all I know, my transmission COULD be on its way out. It’s just I don’t want to have to make multiple trips to my friends shop, I’m hoping I can do with it being out once. Like I said in the initial thread, I did run it out of fluid. Not sure if it overheated or if it was just fluid going onto the exhaust, but as far as I know it’ll still go through every gear. My point is I’m not sure it would be worth the time just to do a $5 part, after reading about every other possible thing that could/could have gone wrong.
    Pull the trans pan,That will tell you allot,If it's full of trash and metal shavings,Rebuild It!
    junk!~!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

[QUOTE=gmjunkie;1195634]Pull the trans pan,That will tell you allot,If it's full of trash and metal shavings,Rebuild it!
    Iíve had to pull the pan off a few times actually, the fluid was very dark but not too many metallic shavings. I hope by taking it out I can diagnose it better. If I have to do anything beyond changing that seal, Iím probably going to take it to a shop because I would have no clue what to do.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey there-

You didn't say what year car this leaking trans is in, but generally, there are a couple of "front seals" in an automatic. 1) the front pump seal and 2) the input shaft seal.

In fact, using the trans cooling outlet to drain the transmission is one way to trans the trans but it's a very dangerous way to do it because you have to shut the engine off as soon as you see air in the fluid. It's very hard to do that but if you wait too long you fry the bearings in the trans. That's why it's much better to have the trans flushed by a trans shop with the proper equipment.

While I admire your willingness and interest to learn to DIY service on your Corvette, I would not pick an automatic transmission as the first attempt at doing a major repair.

I'd pull the transmission and take it to a reputable trans shop for repair or just replace the existing trans with a reman.
    Likes Scottsredvette liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

[QUOTE=Hib Halverson;1195654]Hey there-
    not that it matters much but itís an 85. Going to take it out and go from there I guess.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

78-85-copy-jpg Since we all like pics,theres my old 85 "Night Stalker" & 78 l/82 4Spd. Then I added the 90 for a Hat Trick.

Likes Scottsredvette liked this post