$projecthp
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    boca raton
    Posts
    28
    Corvette(s)
    1996 grand sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Posessed fuel guage

    I am fortunate to have a 1996 LT 4 Corvette.I recently had to change the fuel pump Because it was sitting For a while With ethanol gas and it was killed.I can't honestly say if the gas gauge Was working ,I do not remember.Once I changed the fuel pump And reconnected everything The car fired right away But I noticed the Gauge was On "reserve".Adding gasoline to it did not change the situation.Everything that I have read regarding A bad sending unit States that it is always stuck In the "full "position When the sending unit goes bad.My gas gauge is stuck At the reserve position.I carefully installed the new pump And was very cautious with the movable Sending unit arm.In case it is For whatever reason stuck Would pushing a flexible pipe Inside possibly free it Or is it something else that's going on.Any help would be appreciated. Also from what I could tell the wiring On the outside looks normal At the filler . Any help would be appreciated. I will cross post rich

  2. #2
    Member Robertwav1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ocala, Florida
    Posts
    811
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    The bad thing is that you don't remember if it worked before or not, this could have eliminated you from taking it back out and checking the wiper against the increment embeded metal. I didn't do one in the vette but I did just do one my truck and I would assume the sending unit works the same. Either a bad connection or the mechanical variable resistor not making contact. Being it's on reserve it's probably not touching anything (a space between the wiper and it's contacts.) I don't how easy it is to pull but Ive heard it's not too bad. My truck required a bed removal. Did your pump come with a new sending unit as part of the package? If it did not then you could also suspect wear on the contact area rather then being stuck. If it did, it could be defective. Another possibility is the float is hung up not being in the right position. Hope you find your problem.
    Thanks rhandle thanked for this post

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    boca raton
    Posts
    28
    Corvette(s)
    1996 grand sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Oops

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertwav1 View Post
    The bad thing is that you don't remember if it worked before or not, this could have eliminated you from taking it back out and checking the wiper against the increment embeded metal. I didn't do one in the vette but I did just do one my truck and I would assume the sending unit works the same. Either a bad connection or the mechanical variable resistor not making contact. Being it's on reserve it's probably not touching anything (a space between the wiper and it's contacts.) I don't how easy it is to pull but Ive heard it's not too bad. My truck required a bed removal. Did your pump come with a new sending unit as part of the package? If it did not then you could also suspect wear on the contact area rather then being stuck. If it did, it could be defective. Another possibility is the float is hung up not being in the right position. Hope you find your problem.
    LMFAO i don't know how my message ended up in that format. Thanks for the patience to read the stupid thing. To answer your question, I just changed the pump and reused the sending unit. I hardly use the car and had to change the pump twice in 2 yrs because it was sitting in ethanol.I thought i was just low on fuel. I was so happy to get it going i didn't check the fuel level I was thinking about shoving a plastic pipe in there in case its hung up on something. I am pretty darn sure i installed correctly;i was cautious

  4. #4
    Member Robertwav1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ocala, Florida
    Posts
    811
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Well I guess if you can hit the float and make it move it might give you an idea if it's working or not. I didn't have a problem reading your post, the format was fine. Good luck and maybe others have an idea as well.....

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    boca raton
    Posts
    28
    Corvette(s)
    1996 grand sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default thanks so much

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertwav1 View Post
    Well I guess if you can hit the float and make it move it might give you an idea if it's working or not. I didn't have a problem reading your post, the format was fine. Good luck and maybe others have an idea as well.....
    THANKS SO MUCH . Just want to le everyone know how terrible Ethanol is to the C4 corvette. Especially if u let it sit a little.Even as a daily driver that crap is tearing up the fuel injectors or carburators. It destroyed my generator an pressure washer. Go ethanol free. Google '"ethanol free gas stations near me"" . Most WAWA gas stations have ethanol free gas

  6. #6
    Member Robertwav1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ocala, Florida
    Posts
    811
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
    THANKS SO MUCH . Just want to le everyone know how terrible Ethanol is to the C4 corvette. Especially if u let it sit a little.Even as a daily driver that crap is tearing up the fuel injectors or carburators. It destroyed my generator an pressure washer. Go ethanol free. Google '"ethanol free gas stations near me"" . Most WAWA gas stations have ethanol free gas
    Yeah, ethanol free wawa does have near me however if I'm not mistaken that fuel has a lower octane? I used it in my bike and it didn't like it. I had to revert back to the premium (10% alcohol). I haven't tried it in the vette yet, have to check the octane again.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Merrill WI.
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Fuel pump assembly's

    96 LTI on 3rd fuel pump assemblys in 2 years. I use only 93 nonethenal gas. I ordered Delphi original GM replacement, 1st one gauge worked pump didn't, 2nd one pump worked gauge didnt, 3rd one in now pump works (car runs) gauge stays on low. I am done buying and returning Delphi assembleys and will have to deal with it. The only thing I can think off is that Delphi makes one standard for new GM vehicles and another for aftermarket otherwise most new cars won't make it off the assembley line. Next time it will be a Walbro pump and assembly, Delphi is junk!

Similar Threads

  1. Low Fuel Warning/Fuel guage dropped to E
    By RVN in forum C5 Z06 Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-19-08, 10:27 PM
  2. Fuel Guage in HUD?
    By Arthur6 in forum C6 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-01-05, 02:52 PM
  3. c2 fuel guage
    By 00fxd in forum C1 & C2 General and Technical Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-05, 07:24 PM
  4. HVAC Starts By ITSELF!!!! It's Posessed???
    By prostuff in forum C5 General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-04, 11:06 PM
  5. Fuel Guage
    By jorge33265 in forum C5 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-03, 09:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •