$projecthp
  • Dwindling Availability of Tires
  • Dwindling Availability of Tires
  • Dwindling Availability of Tires
  • Dwindling Availability of Tires

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    3
    Corvette(s)
    1996 Silver Corvette Conv.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Dwindling Availability of Tires

    Looking for new set of tires for my '96 Collector. I was surprised at the dwindling amount of tires left available for the C4's. 5 Years ago when I bought my Vette Tire Rack had about 8 or 9 brands. Now there are only 3 brands with matching availability.

    BFGoodrich no longer produces the rear tires 285/40z R17. Many tire shops cannot get rear tires from Goodyear. These are back ordered sometimes 3 or 4 months. One tire shop said Continental is discontinuing the rear tire size in their ExtremeContact DW line.

    Has anyone else run into this problem. If this continues, in 5 years will we be able to get tires for our Vettes?

  2. #2
    Dwindling Availability of Tires 6 Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Missoura Ozarks
    Posts
    8,596
    Corvette(s)
    Carbon Flash CE 4LT GS Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default WOW - 1st post, welcome to the CAC...



    ...good luck with ur tires!


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Posts
    48
    Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Dwindling Availability of Tires

    Quote Originally Posted by MY96COLLECTOR View Post
    Looking for new set of tires for my '96 Collector. I was surprised at the dwindling amount of tires left available for the C4's. 5 Years ago when I bought my Vette Tire Rack had about 8 or 9 brands. Now there are only 3 brands with matching availability.

    BFGoodrich no longer produces the rear tires 285/40z R17. Many tire shops cannot get rear tires from Goodyear. These are back ordered sometimes 3 or 4 months. One tire shop said Continental is discontinuing the rear tire size in their ExtremeContact DW line.

    Has anyone else run into this problem. If this continues, in 5 years will we be able to get tires for our Vettes?
    Absolutely true that tire selection is limited and availability can be a problem. You will find that many current performance tires are not even offered in 17 inch sizes. Demand driving all this without question. Tires degrade over time so manufacturers will only make enough to satisfy demand and when the tipping point is reached where demand is insufficent to warrant continuing to make the tire due to production costs, they will be discontinued. Regarding your question of availability in 5 years, it is safe to assume selection will dwindle. Our only choice down the road may be to increase wheel size which is a very expensive proposition. Another concern today and moving forward will be cost, I recently bought a set of Conti Extreme DW's for my 96 LT4. These tires reviewed well and were half the price of Michelin Pilots. As previously mentioned, the Goodyears were on extended backorder. As an aside, it is also getting difficult to find a tire shop with an experienced tech to properly align a C4.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    3
    Corvette(s)
    1996 Silver Corvette Conv.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mekisich View Post
    Absolutely true that tire selection is limited and availability can be a problem. You will find that many current performance tires are not even offered in 17 inch sizes. Demand driving all this without question. Tires degrade over time so manufacturers will only make enough to satisfy demand and when the tipping point is reached where demand is insufficent to warrant continuing to make the tire due to production costs, they will be discontinued. Regarding your question of availability in 5 years, it is safe to assume selection will dwindle. Our only choice down the road may be to increase wheel size which is a very expensive proposition. Another concern today and moving forward will be cost, I recently bought a set of Conti Extreme DW's for my 96 LT4. These tires reviewed well and were half the price of Michelin Pilots. As previously mentioned, the Goodyears were on extended backorder. As an aside, it is also getting difficult to find a tire shop with an experienced tech to properly align a C4.
    Thanks John Mekisich for responding. The Conti Extreme DW's are probably the ones I will go with. They seem to get the best reviews. How do you find the wear and handling? I can't find any stock around Vancouver B.C. without a minimum of 1 month to order them in. I can get from the states in about 3 - 5 days.

    As far as future availability, changing up to 18" rims may be the only option. I guess time will tell. Makes it difficult for those of us that like to keep our cars as stock as possible.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Posts
    48
    Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MY96COLLECTOR View Post
    Thanks John Mekisich for responding. The Conti Extreme DW's are probably the ones I will go with. They seem to get the best reviews. How do you find the wear and handling? I can't find any stock around Vancouver B.C. without a minimum of 1 month to order them in. I can get from the states in about 3 - 5 days.

    As far as future availability, changing up to 18" rims may be the only option. I guess time will tell. Makes it difficult for those of us that like to keep our cars as stock as possible.



    Handling is very good to excellent. When you consider the pricing in my mind the Conti's are the best buy out there. In the 12 years I have owned this car I have always run Goodyears, had they been available I am not sure they would be worth the additional cost. Many will say the Michelin Pilots are the best of all the available performance tires but once again cost rears its head. Recently installed these tires so i have no input regarding wear but given we are talking Corvettes I don't believe any of the available tires will wear overly well.

  6. #6
    Member Wegone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Atlanta GA.
    Posts
    516
    Corvette(s)
    82,91 ZR-1,
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    A lot of guys are also going to Nitto's, I am currently running a set on my 93 275 & 315 and so far I like them. They just don't have as wide of a tread patch as the GY.
    Steve

    1991 ZR-1 # 118 Quasar/Black SW Headers/Corsa-3:73 gears-Haibeck-500HP/350

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    3
    Corvette(s)
    1996 Silver Corvette Conv.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Just used a tire conversion website to see what my options are in a 18" tire. If the conversions are correct there is defiantly more options available in an 18" tire. But as you said adding the cost of wheels to accommodate the larger tires gets to be a very expensive proposition. But that's thinking a number years in the future. For now I think I'll get the 17" tires.

    The Contis look real good. As 'Wegone' mentioned above, the Nitto's are worth a look as well. The Nitto's apparently are very sticky to the road, great handling but the Conti's are better in rain.

  8. #8
    spotya1
    Guest

    Default

    i ran a set of NITTO's on my 68 corvette and loved them. Problem i see is there are not many options out there for even a nice 18 wheel to fit these cars. I like to take the stock wheels and tires off to help preserve them in case i ever sell the car(which is usually 10 years later lol). I have been looking for wheel options since i purchased the car last week and haven't found much

  9. #9
    Dwindling Availability of Tires Tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Mustang, OK
    Posts
    3,635
    Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    1

    Default

    You don't even want to look at the tire availability for the C6 ZR1 (ZO6/Z07, 427 Vert) then. Only one tire brand (Michelin) and only 2 styles - PS2 or Cup.
    Tuna
    My Novels:
    Crossbow Revenge
    Alice Was Not Her Name
    Antiques To Die For
    HyperDeath

    Murder mysteries!


  10. #10
    Member B17Crew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,611
    Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Completely agree, the selection is not what it used to be. Iím on the backorder list for GY GS-D3s at all four corners, 96 LT4 stock wheel configuration (Nitto's are my plan B). Holding out for the GYs for their wet weather capability and their aesthetically "beefy" appearance. Purely subjective, but I prefer the look of the GYs compared to the other brands. The one nice thing about the wait is that the tires will be freshly minted.

    B17Crew

  11. #11
    Member stang-etr96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    95
    Corvette(s)
    1996 Yellow LT4 1991 WHT conv. Blue top & int.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B17Crew View Post
    Completely agree, the selection is not what it used to be. Iím on the backorder list for GY GS-D3s at all four corners, 96 LT4 stock wheel configuration (Nitto's are my plan B). Holding out for the GYs for their wet weather capability and their aesthetically "beefy" appearance. Purely subjective, but I prefer the look of the GYs compared to the other brands. The one nice thing about the wait is that the tires will be freshly minted.

    B17Crew
    well seeing 96 LT4's or any C4 for that matter, tire size is based on the suspension option you have and not the engine you have the selection is eased.
    in 96 z51 susp. have 275"s on all 4 corners. 285's are suitable to fit on the rims if ya want a the ssame wider patch of the same GY GSC. FE1 & F45 susp. use the staggered 255/285. I use stock C5 thin spokes on one of my C4's with great results. The off set of the c5 rims are slightly inset but work fine or you can space out. C5 rim can be had cheap on the C5 forums verses going to expensive after market.

    96 Yellow/Grey LT4 CPE
    91 White/Blue Conv.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, Mn.
    Posts
    260
    Corvette(s)
    86 Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Tire/Wheel option

    I was reading some of the tire threads and it caught my interest. I bought an 86 convertible last year and it had smaller tires than OEM on it when bought (245/50vr16's).
    I was looking at availability of 255/50vr16's, it's really limited. I don't need tires now but I'm sure I will sometime in the future.
    I then tried to figure out what larger tire/rim could be interchanged without having to use wheel spacers or adapters, I'm having a hard time figuring out what larger tires and rims would fit the same as the oem's without using some wheel adapters or spacers and fit the wheelwells the same as the originals and not rub on something. Wish there was some place that could be used as a reference.
    I'm afraid this will not be a pretty situation in the future to figure out when the time comes. Maybe some other company will start making them to keep us in tires.

  13. #13
    Member xfirez51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    280
    Corvette(s)
    1992 Black Rose ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Have u looked at Vredersteins?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, Mn.
    Posts
    260
    Corvette(s)
    86 Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Tires

    Quote Originally Posted by xfirez51 View Post
    Have u looked at Vredersteins?
    never heard of them and didn't find any 255/50vr16's when I checked.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    778
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    No offense but the only guys that have to worry is the 16" size. Those are hard to find. 17" sizes are plentiful. Even if your running the 255/285 setup a set should last quite a while. I highly doubt anyone is running that setup at a road course or a auto-x so its not like your buying new tires every year.

    275/40/17's have a very good selection of all types of tires.

    Honestly for street use, anything will do. Your having trouble finding the tire you WANT in 17" not what you need or will work just fine. There is a difference. IMHO!!!

    18"s you do get a bit more. If your like me and you actually drive the car like a sports car and burn up a set every year and want the best rubber Dunlap ZII, Hankook RS3, BFG Rivals are the ONLY options in 17" and ONLY come as wide as 255/40/17.

    I'll be (hopefully) going to 18's next year and either 275/35/18 RS3's or 285/30/18 ZII's.

    FYI, those 255/40/17 ZII's will wipe the floor with ANY 275/40/17 with a tread wear of 180 or higher. They are that good. I'm running them at all fours. Pretty good in the rain (with sufficient tread depth) and cool conditions as well.

    Also FYI, THE rain tire in auto-x right now is the Continental Extreme Contact DW's. NO ONE is clamoring for the old Goodyear GS-D3's. Tire technology has moved on. Pretty sure driving at the limit in the rain needs more traction than tooling down the road.

    Not trying to be condescending just putting things in perspective street versus track use and the demands of each. In my case street AND track use.
    Last edited by 93Rubie; 06-01-14 at 06:28 PM.
    Save the Wave!!!
    Muffler Eliminators nuff said...
    Best 1/4 Mile Run to date...13.38@104.87
    Best 1/8 Mile Run to date...8.65@82.72.
    Best 60 foot 1.99 with Kumho Escta SPT at 26PSI Cold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Tripower parts availability ??
    By jims427400 in forum C1 & C2 General and Technical Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-01-14, 07:42 AM
  2. Sebring Video Availability
    By O Vette in forum Autocrossing and Motorsports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-14, 04:02 PM
  3. '94 Clutch Availability?
    By Donne Trav in forum C4 General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-10, 07:08 PM
  4. PF141 filter availability
    By jims427400 in forum C1 & C2 General and Technical Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-21-10, 08:22 PM
  5. Convertible availability.
    By rmonday in forum C6 General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-05, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •