Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi Idle!

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
    You can email it if you want - I think it's active in my profile. If it's FSM stuff, post up the sections/numbers - I got mine here, and they're pretty similar for LT1. If a vac leak makes a steady high idle, I wanna' see this...

I just changed my email to 'visible', so however you want. But post it up; if I'm wrong, won't be the first time (or last).
    I'm hopin' to see this too here...

Corvette(s)
    2009 LS3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Message to Schrade. Why does it say "Banned" Under your name? Look on page 6E3-B-13. IAC operation. This controls vacuum. A vacuum leak doesn't always cause a loping issue. Try not to be so antagonistic.

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I was lookin' at that very page last night - 'Incorrect idle' (the first 2; rough, or unstable, sure ain't gonna' be 'steady high' idle). And then the 'definition' below that is "Engine runs unevenly at idle..."

I don't see how IAC could account for a high steady idle. It says if it's unplugged and reconnected while running, it might be wrong. It says re-set (re-calibration) takes 5 seconds to figure that out, or it will re-learn the proper calibration in a few drive cycles. That's a GOOD IAC. If the pintle spring is broken, I don't think it's gonna' be a steady idle - low, OR high... HibH said it could cause 'unstable' idle. I don't think ANY vacuum leak will make a steady idle.

If I'm wrong, I wanna' know it. With proof. A dull knife isn't a knife - it's a saw. And saws make a mess. Knives cut clean, and gettin' 'em sharp is gonna' generate some heat... It says BANNED from CF for tryin' to cut through the 'stuff', and sharpen the blade in the process.

Corvette(s)
    1990 red convert 6 sp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
    I was lookin' at that very page last night - 'Incorrect idle' (the first 2; rough, or unstable, sure ain't gonna' be 'steady high' idle). And then the 'definition' below that is "Engine runs unevenly at idle..."

I don't see how IAC could account for a high steady idle. It says if it's unplugged and reconnected while running, it might be wrong. It says re-set (re-calibration) takes 5 seconds to figure that out, or it will re-learn the proper calibration in a few drive cycles. That's a GOOD IAC. If the pintle spring is broken, I don't think it's gonna' be a steady idle - low, OR high... HibH said it could cause 'unstable' idle. I don't think ANY vacuum leak will make a steady idle.

If I'm wrong, I wanna' know it. With proof. A dull knife isn't a knife - it's a saw. And saws make a mess. Knives cut clean, and gettin' 'em sharp is gonna' generate some heat... It says BANNED from CF for tryin' to cut through the 'stuff', and sharpen the blade in the process.
    Pull a vacuum hose off and see what happens.... high steady idle. Isn't that a vacuum leak ? It seems to me the IAC is a controlled leak.

Glenn

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by G Winter View Post
    Pull a vacuum hose off and see what happens.... high steady idle.

Glenn
    No. Not steady. Loping only.

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT1 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by G Winter View Post
    Pull a vacuum hose off and see what happens.... high steady idle. Isn't that a vacuum leak ? It seems to me the IAC is a controlled leak.

Glenn
    Exactly correct...IAC = electronic controlled "vacuum leak" (by the PCM/ECM)
    Another "vacuum leak" the throttle blades themselves controlled by....the drivers foot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12