Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Glava2876 View Post
    I have been working on several other items on my car, but was kooking at the AC again and am not sure if the it is engaging. The fuse is in and looks good, but when I turn on the air, I don't see or hear anything change -if it engages will I see the front part spinning ?
    Thanks, Glen
    Yes!!
    If the system is empty,or nearly empty or if the low pressure switch is bad it won't engage either!!
    Could also be a bad clutch coil,This is where some testing needs to be done first!!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    1984 Z51 4+3 Bright Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    Yes!!
    If the system is empty,or nearly empty or if the low pressure switch is bad it won't engage either!!
    Could also be a bad clutch coil,This is where some testing needs to be done first!!
    Since I don't have the equipment or the knowledge to check the pressure, it seems like I may as well bag it and bring it to be checked out?
    Since I have never had to have AC work done, can anyone recommend a good AC shop in the Syracuse area?
    Thanks.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Had an HVAC buddy check and the pressure as way low, but has not been changed from R-12. So I am going to go the 134a conversion kit route -is there a recommended manufacturers kit?
    Thanks, Glen

Corvette(s)
    1990 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Had an HVAC buddy check and the pressure as way low, but has not been changed from R-12. So I am going to go the 134a conversion kit route -is there a recommended manufacturers kit?
    Thanks, Glen

R-12 can still be bought for around $20.00 per pound. It's just my opinion, but I would rather check for leaks then recharge with R-12. It takes a little over 2lbs.

As you will find, there is a lot more to a changeover than fittings and R-134.

GMjunkie has posted a good version of what needs to be done for it to work correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If done properly, 134a cools almost as well as r12 (within a couple of degrees) so there is no need to stick with r12 unless you want to pay through the nose for the original refrigerant. You don't need a special condenser or compressor, the stock parts will work fine with 134a, including the accumulator and the evaporator. In the long run it would be cheaper to go with 134a. You will need to change your o-rings, but then you'll have the system open anyway.

Personally (and this is just me), if those are the original parts I would replace them all anyway (evaporator, condenser, compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, o-rings), they're 25 years old. Expensive, but your car is a quarter of a century old.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ok, it seems as though keeping the sytem R-12 is the easiest, if I can find refridgerent and there are no leaks -my refridgeration buddy is looking for some R-12 for me. If we can find it, do we try and charge the system to see if it just hadn't been charged in a long time or even to find out where it is leaking?

Corvette(s)
    1990 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ok, it seems as though keeping the sytem R-12 is the easiest, if I can find refridgerent and there are no leaks -my refridgeration buddy is looking for some R-12 for me. If we can find it, do we try and charge the system to see if it just hadn't been charged in a long time or even to find out where it is leaking?
    You can find R12 on Ebay, you will need a license to buy it.

Oriellys auto parts has it here.

Attach your gauges to the system, if I remember correctly your high side should be 2.5 times the ambient temp. Low side seemed to be 28-32, but I might have that confused with the older systems. That will tell you if it is low.

To find leaks you will need some leak detector and a black light.

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I converted my '87, and it worked fine.

I used the Mickey Mouse setup from Advance / Zone, did a double flush just to make sure, and it worked perfect.

When you check to see if anything is now left in the system, don't hold the valve open too long until it all vents.

Hold the 'save the planet' rants please... All the people on the planet will fit within the confines of Texas. What do you think they could do to Texas/the South/the US/North America/across the oceans and the rest of the planet, if they all did it 24/7, from within the Tex borders? How much less could they do if spread out??? Don't know about you, but heating my home this past winter was NOT cheap. Gore and my local weatherman are failin' to communicate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12