Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Parts??

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default No Parts??

I've had my Z07 '92 coupe since '95 and I've only recently had to start replacing parts. Last summer I had to replace the adjustable shocks (long story) and to my surprise, no GM shocks were available. Ended up going with Bilsteins. This past weekend I put new pads and rotors in. It seems calipers for large brakes aren't readily available either.

I plan on keeping the car a long time -- what other parts are becoming scarce or hard to find these days????

Thanks,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The original Bilstein shock could have been rebuilt by Bilstein. I think that the calipers are the same as the ones put on 95-96 cars, those should not be too difficult to find, but then again I haven't tried.

These cars are getting to be 13-25 years old, parts are going to be getting more difficult to find, unless they are more mainstreamed off the shelf, common Chevy parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

the speed sensor at the Transmission (Auto) is no longer availiable. At least thats what the dealer said.

MBDiagMan

Barring global thermonuclear war, you will be able to get parts for your Vette for many years to come. There is no need to stockpile anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by rlg View Post
    the speed sensor at the Transmission (Auto) is no longer availiable. At least thats what the dealer said.
    For what year...your 1990? The only reason I ask is that the local Chevy dealer here was taking care of some recall work that the previous owner of my 1989 never bothered with and had him replace the speed sensor O-ring (automatic transmission here as well) while they were there. Well when they removed it, it broke into 3 pieces and had to be replaced. To the original point, they had the speed sensor available at the dealer and got it done same day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I was at Doc's Corvettes here in Tulsa and he had a 95 he was working on, when he determined it was the sensor, he called the dealership and was informed it was discontinued. He had one on hand and used it.

that was 2 weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by rlg View Post
    I was at Doc's Corvettes here in Tulsa and he had a 95 he was working on, when he determined it was the sensor, he called the dealership and was informed it was discontinued. He had one on hand and used it.

that was 2 weeks ago.
    Wow...odd. Mine was just a little over a week ago and had it done at Al Serra Chevrolet. Makes me wonder what speed sensor they used then. Gonna have to check the part number on the invoice when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

fullback, they may have had one in stock, but I would like to know if it really is discontinued. I have seen them on Ebay.

MBDiagMan

The original design speed sensor has been discontinued. It was a very impressive looking part, but was more expensive than the replacement. A savvy Chevy parts guy will offer you a replaement. It is made from stamped sheet metal and looks like something that came out of a box of Cracker Jacks, but it works well and lasts as long as the great looking part that it replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

MB,

Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the info MB. Good to know this replacement will last!
    Some people are like slinkies,
    They don't really have a purpose,
    But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

What you need to do is find a Chevy dealer that will work with you. I have found in most cases the dealer I work with has been able to get everything I needed, even when they have been so called discontinued. And I have asked for some really strange parts. As of last week the only part they have not been able to get is the pass. side defroster vent.

tcxd40

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks guys.

Funny thing, I've been restoring 69 Firebirds for the last few years and you can get ANY part. Mostly Chinese junk, of course, but even 1-year-only parts are readily available.

I was a bit surprised I couldn't find a caliper, repro or not.

So, I have some additional repairs to be made down the road -- horns, stereo (speaker and CD player), and clutch. Sounds like I won't have problems finding replacements in those areas?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I haven't had much trouble getting parts for them,the deal is you need a GM parts man that wants to sell you parts!!
    Allot of dealers don't have the books that go back that far anymore to look them up!!

You'd be surprised at what you can still get through GM if you know how to do it!!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    I haven't had much trouble getting parts for them,the deal is you need a GM parts man that wants to sell you parts!!
    Allot of dealers don't have the books that go back that far anymore to look them up!!

You'd be surprised at what you can still get through GM if you know how to do it!!
    I always get the guy behind the counter who moves the mouse a bit, clicks a couple times, and then, with a mildly surprised look on his face says, "well, I can't order that part any more".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast