Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Parts??

MBDiagMan

Quote Originally Posted by jcruz View Post
    I always get the guy behind the counter who moves the mouse a bit, clicks a couple times, and then, with a mildly surprised look on his face says, "well, I can't order that part any more".
    Yep, there are way too many like that. It's all about attitude. Unfortunately there are way too many people these days who show up at work for a paycheck rather than show up to get their job done.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It seems calipers for large brakes aren't readily available either.
    Factory Original Corvette Grand Sport Heavy Duty Brake Calipers: Hubcaps Plus After Market Parts and Accessories For Cars, Trucks and SUVs
    When they were last available the GS ones with logo were cheaper than the regular J55 calipers

Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well for what it's worth, last year I needed a new master cylinder for my 84 coupe and the shop had a difficult time finding a replacement girlock master cylinder. I have to wonder about replacement parts for my 2003 when it comes to replacing the usual wear and tear type of parts. I throught GM and other manufactures usually keep parts for 10 years and then discontinue them ?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by killain View Post
    last year I needed a new master cylinder for my 84 coupe and the shop had a difficult time finding a replacement girlock master cylinder.
    I believe for our cars you have to get away from the dealers and start looking at the places that have bought up NOS or making repo stuff like the partsladi on eBay.

eBay Motors: 84 Chevy Corvette Brake Master Cylinder NEW GM OEM Save (item 350170740152 end time May-25-09 15:36:09 PDT)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...3A1|240%3A1318

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I've had my Z07 '92 coupe since '95 and I've only recently had to start replacing parts. Last summer I had to replace the adjustable shocks (long story) and to my surprise, no GM shocks were available. Ended up going with Bilsteins. This past weekend I put new pads and rotors in. It seems calipers for large brakes aren't readily available either.

I plan on keeping the car a long time -- what other parts are becoming scarce or hard to find these days????

Thanks,

John
    If you plan to keep your C4 for a long time, get used to problems with replacement parts. I'll add that is not a function of GM's ongoing demise. GM began to widely discontinue C4 parts in the early years of this decade.

That said, on the shock issue, while GM Service Part Operations may no longer service the shocks from 89-95 w. Selective Ride, the shocks were made by Bilstein and those shocks are widely available from the aftermarket and can be rebuilt by Bilstein.

Now, if you want to talk about critical parts that are no longer available...anywhere, consider the lateral acceleration sensor for the 90-96 ABS systems.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    the shocks were made by Bilstein and those shocks are widely available from the aftermarket and can be rebuilt by Bilstein.
    Sometimes it take a little reseach or a parts guy on the ball (or interested).Most of the Vette parts were made for GM by outside suppliers and sometimes used in other applications.
    No Vette stuff listed where I live.
    Just rebuilt my brake calipers. Top guy in the brake shop measured caliper piston ; cross reference against listings and found correct brake kits.

Did you know that the the early C4 Girlock rear caliper is the same as used on a Nissan Bluebird series 3 ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12