• Comparing 6 speed to 4+3 manual.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
    When I approach a stop sign, traffic light and such I just let off the gas and slow down. When I get ready to change gears to which ever gear I chose to accelerate back to speed in, I press the OD button as I'm in neutral while on the way to that gear.
    O/d should automatically drop out when you come to a stop or accel hard.
    Different setting vary by year
    http://www.5speeds.com/43table.htm

MBDiagMan

Of course it would drop out automatically, but then you are allowing the computer to control the OD making it a really screwy thing to drive.

By toggling the OD out when slowing, you then have a manually controlled four speed with which you can decelerate and accelerate until you get back to highway speed and chose to allow it to drop in overdrive.

Anyone who never touches the overdrive button and lets the computer control the overdrive is missing out on the fun of driving one of these machines. In fact if you never touch the OD button, I don't see how you can stand to drive the thing.

Now that you bring this up, I'll bet the undeserved poor reputation is partly from those who have driven one without ever touching the button. If the button weren't there to lock out the OD I wouldn't have kept mine two weeks.

If there is anyone who is driving a 4+3 and has never locked out the OD, try my method. Start the car and hit the button, then drive it through the gears unless you are somewhat wound out in fourth, THEN hit the OD. This will open up a whole new world for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Now that you bring this up, I'll bet the undeserved poor reputation is partly from those who have driven one without ever touching the button. If the button weren't there to lock out the OD I wouldn't have kept mine two weeks.

Out of interest just pulled out my '87 owners manual
    It states ; has computer controlled O/d ....the O/d may be turned off...if engine braking is needed O/d may be turned off ,be sure to turn O/d back on IMMEDIATELY afterwards"

All those poor souls that never had the real enjoyment of driving the 4+3!

I fully expect that the clutch pack and planetary are exactly like those units from a particular GM automatic or another.
    FYI;http://www.5speeds.com/nash.htm

johnny80

I have had my 88 for the past 8 years. I have to say that I also enjoy the 4+3. It took a bit getting used to but once you learn the system, it is a pleasure to drive. I have 118,000 miles on mine at it's been running great. What ever choice you make, as long as you perform the basics to keep it in shape, it will run great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My 84 has an OD switch in the console that you either turn on or off -I almost never turn the OD on and this Z51 lumber wagon with fat tires is a HUGE blast!!!
    I have a question; Someone above said that this is a Borg Warner T-10 with an OD unit -is that correct?
    Thanks,
    Glen

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I've learned to manipulate my shifts at the right rpm's so that I can leave mine on and get it to kick in in third and fourth when I shift into these gears. First & second I still drive like normal, but if I wind second & third just right, shift & hold the clutch in a second or so extra the trans will engage the od and give no shift shock. I also engage the clutch when turning the od on. It feels hard sometimes otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

As I think I have stated in other threads, I believe whatever logic my cars uses to switch gears is broken. I have had my car tell me to upshift when I was in 3rd at about 1200 RPM. But the reason I post now is because I actually had my car in 1st the other day with the OD on. That is supposed to be impossible if everything is working correctly right? And the other day I could not back my car up without revving the engine. My guess is that I turned the car off with the OD engaged and so I was trying to back up in the equivalent 2nd gear. But all this said, if I just us OD as 5th gear then everything works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Having the original 4+3 in my '86, then replacing it with a Richmond 6 speed after the 2nd time it died, the 6 speed is WAAYY more fun, and the car is much faster. I always thought that 3rd gear in the 4+3 was anemic.

Corvette Richmond 6-Speed Transmission Installation

In addition, it's easier to do a clutch job with the Richmond. It's a smaller transmission and much easier to get the "C" bracket off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Glava2876 View Post
    Someone above said that this is a Borg Warner T-10 with an OD unit -is that correct?
    Borg Warner Super T-10 2.88 1st gear
    All internals are identical but the rear of the trans case is reinforced to mount the DNE O/d unit.
    A special short output shaft is used to connect to the O/d in place of the long stock shaft that extends through the tailshaft housing

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I just bought an 87 Vette with the 4+3 and my stick shift has no switch in the stick shift, I took off the top of the stick shift and it was an empty cavity, is there suppose to be an overdrive switch there on the stick shift for a 1987 model year ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywagner View Post
    I just bought an 87 Vette with the 4+3 and my stick shift has no switch in the stick shift, I took off the top of the stick shift and it was an empty cavity, is there suppose to be an overdrive switch there on the stick shift for a 1987 model year ?
    Top of shifter knob has a hinged flap that works as a button for the O/d switch mounted at base of shifter
    The button pushes on a shaft that runs down the shifter and operates the switch at base.
    If you can't work switch , by default you get automatic O/d engagement as soon as engine is up to required operating temp
    "Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." --Bob Lutz

CharlesBrown

If you get the 4+3, or have one now, It's not a bad idea to use the clutch for the changes in and out of the OD. No, of course you don't have to... but it "don't hurt."

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

there is not a hinged button on the shifter and no switch under the current button, could some models not have this ? I suspect a previous owner did not like the function of the overdrive and removed this, in any event it will not engage on the freeway

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I disagree with the 4+3 bashing and am surprised at the source of some of it. Using that logic, the '90 ZR-1 is inferior to the C6 version. Does that make the '90 less of a car?

In any design there are compromises and often refinements. We all have our preferences and certainly, opinions. I've long appreciated the kick-down of the 4+3 which is nothing like an 'early Chevy 4-speed'. It has the quickness of an automatic with the control of a manual; down shifting much faster than any manual. The O/D allows for better acceleration from starts, and darn good fuel economy on the highway., also unlike and old 4-speed.

As too-often stated, much of the denigration of the Doug Nash O/D was due to misunderstanding of its operation and/or inferior maintenance. The O/D portion of mine was fine when I chose to rebuild it at 100k+. The gears in the T-10 were surprisingly worn, however, particularly 2nd. When I researched changing to the 6-speed, I found it could not handle the power of my re-engined monster. My "inferior" 4+3 still works fine behind that engine.

I'd also considered the Ritchie 6-er versus the overhaul of my stock units. One installer told me that he had removed more than one from a customers' cars due to the noise of the straight-cut gears.

In the end, I am quite satisfied with the unique 4+3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

no switch under the current button,
    Switch is at base of shifter; not visible unless everything dismantled
    Possibly someone fitted a early 4+3 shifter with no button .Early cars had the button on the console

in any event it will not engage on the freeway
    As I have stated previously ; by default the O/d will automatically engage when the right conditions are met without any input from the driver
    If not , then you have problems. Most current problems with these are centered around the control side ; bad wiring / connections / faulty relay / etc.
    Rare to be a computer problem

I suspect a previous owner did not like the function of the overdrive
    Would make no difference;
    O/d is automatically on The button just gives the driver manual control
    "Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." --Bob Lutz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12