• C5 brakes on an 88?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

275mm is the section width not the wheel width.

OE 17s for 88s are 9.5" wide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The above post is correct 9.5" are stock 17" rims and if you go with the 10.5" rims they may stick out 1/8" out of the wheel well if you do not adjust the backspacing properly. Now there is another can of worms openend up for you to research!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If 9.5 is stock, is the RPO code I looked up labeled wrong and 17x9? If I remove the tire and measure the rim will it be 9.5in?

Thanks for all the help
    When I bought a fixer-upper because I thought it would be fun, I had no idea how much fun it would take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yes, they should be 9.5" between the beads. In 1993 they went to a staggered configuration 8.5 fronts 9.5 back, with 255/45 front tires and 285/40 rears. This was done in order to help divert the issue of "tracking". There are some notable exceptions to this 1993 change....the first was the ZR-1, it had a staggered set as well, but they were 9.5 front and 11 rears 275/40 and 315/35. The other exception is the Z07 optioned cars, they had 9.5 all around with 275/40 tires at all four corners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyH View Post
    It really depends on what you want to do with the car and how handy you are. The bias spring isn't required and the brake lines are the ones from the steel lines to the caliper. They are rubber now and replacing them can give you a little more firmer feel in the pedal, they do not expand like the 22 year old rubber ones you have on your 88 do! Just replacing the rotors and pads will give you some satisfaction but if you upgrade to the C5 you will need new front rotors again! I bought most of the stuff on sale or used when I found it, it took 2 years to acquire the parts and I spent probably around $600US. The kits are available but not cheap! Good luck and happy searching!

John
    So I recently bought some parts from Ecklers, and while I was at it I had them send me their parts catalog. Inside is a C5 upgrade kit. The kit mentions everything you said except the Bias Spring and it cost $1800. However, when I look at buying parts individually, I can't figure where all the money is going. Granted in front of me is only C4 parts, but looking at the most expensive parts I only get to about $700. I doubt that all the C5 equivalant parts are more than twice the price.

Its like the other day. I was at a fast food place and because of a sale they had, their combo was actually a worse deal (by only a few cents). But I guess it shows you need to take the time to add it all up when buying a "deal".

Thanks for setting the goal at $600. Without it, I may have just looked at the $1800 price tag and given up. I am still impressed by your shopping ability and I know I probably can't do as well, but at least now I won't get ripped off.
    When I bought a fixer-upper because I thought it would be fun, I had no idea how much fun it would take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

$1800 is a little high, even buying some parts new you should be able to do it for half that cost!

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12