Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    tonylong

Default Fog lite operations

Can't find the post so I had to start a new one:
    Here's how my 89 fg lites work:
    Parks on - Fogs can be on too
    Heads on - fogs can be on too
    Brights on - fogs swith off, go back on when brights drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That's the way my '92 & '96 worked also.
    Tuna
    New avatar - my latest novel
    Antiques To Die For

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I don't think the brights/dims affect the foglight operation on my '88.
    1988 Corvette Coupe: Accel/SLP Intake. Exotic Muscle Headers. 2400 Stall Converter. Shift kit.

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default The law

Don't know about laws in your state,but I thought it was universal.
    YOU CAN'T HAVE DRIVING / FOG LAMPS ON WITH HIGH BEAMS.
    In FOGGY conditions High beam lites only make it worse.
    High beams AND Driving lites CAN BLIND ONCOMING TRAFFIC.
    Most cars are wired at the factory to prevent this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by tonylong View Post
    Can't find the post so I had to start a new one:
    Here's how my 89 fg lites work:
    Parks on - Fogs can be on too
    Heads on - fogs can be on too
    Brights on - fogs swith off, go back on when brights drop.
    My fogs on the 90 work the same way. something about being grounded through the one of the headlights.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I checked mine last night and there is no effect on my foglights using the dimmer switch. The foglights remain on whether on high or low beams.

tonylong

I remember others who asked this also had pre-89 models. I wonder if GM made a change?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

84-85 Fog lights came on ONLY with the headlight doors up. The headlight doors didnt close until the switch was in OFF. Once the headlight doors were up and the headlights were on you could click to parking lights and the fog lights would stay on but the doors were up with the headlamps OFF.

The fog lights were pretty much cosmetic and did very little as they were a measly 34 watt bulb (#880). Later bulbs were increased to 50 watts (#885) but arent really that usefull. I use mine more just to BE SEEN at dusk as a sort of daytime running light (dusktime running light?)

Quote Originally Posted by kenmack View Post
    Don't know about laws in your state,but I thought it was universal.
    YOU CAN'T HAVE DRIVING / FOG LAMPS ON WITH HIGH BEAMS.
    In FOGGY conditions High beam lites only make it worse.
    High beams AND Driving lites CAN BLIND ONCOMING TRAFFIC.
    Most cars are wired at the factory to prevent this.
    Some states have laws regarding additional light/maximum output. Of course these days with HID lighting being standard they are pretty useless and mostly only used to harrass people or as an alignment issue.

Actually THIS is how cars are wired at the factory by federal law and "should be wired" by the aftermarket:
    Any auxiliary lighting must be switchable.(they cant be wired to be ALWAYS on with headlamps)

I Edited this after Tony's post for clarification....What I meant was that yes the fogs can be independent like with parking lights ....but with headlights ON the following applies...duh..sorry for confusion)
    Fog lamps go on ONLY with low beams.
    Driving lamps go on ONLY with high beams.
    Each beam has its own unique beam pattern which is why driving lights are useless/dangerous in fog.

ANY "highbeam" can blind oncoming drivers and you dont need driving lights in the equation thats why you are expected to dim them and thus your auxiliary driving lights go off at the same time.

Of course the law is stupid since fog beams can legally be used with low beam lights. However, you aren't suppossed to use them with high beams. But you can use Driving lights that are MORE bright? Dumb lawmakers!

tonylong

Just for the heck of it, I tried fog lights with Parks on, and flipped the HB switch - no effect. Didn't think so but it was worth a try. I guess those who tracked the circuitry and found the HB ground was the clue were right on. nAt least for some years.

tonylong

"Fog lamps go on ONLY with low beams.
    Each beam has its own unique beam pattern which is why driving lights are useless/dangerous in fog."

My 94 JP Wrangler came wired wih the fogs on ONLY with Park lights.
    I rewired to be like the vette - Park or Low Main. This was not fun since the JP wiring was designed in a tokyo opium den. What should have taken 15 minutes became a 4 beer task, and some new ^%$%$ words.

I also wired in floods at the same time (DL's are useless in a JP - it won't outrun it's own Low Beams anyway) - but 150 watt floods are awesome, and with the Fogs, and HB's, and floods I'm blasting nearly 500 watts at the A$$H013$ who won't dim their HB's. I have a hidden DP3T switch that lets me choose how nice I'm gonna be, or if I need to pass state inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

tonylong, same on my 1989. When on high, no fogs. On a different topic, does your 89 have electronic temp controls? Was wondering if it is normal for the fan speed to reset back to speed 1 after shutting off the car. Temp setting will hold to what ever it was set before turning off the car.

tonylong

Quote Originally Posted by TedC View Post
    tonylong, same on my 1989. When on high, no fogs. On a different topic, does your 89 have electronic temp controls? Was wondering if it is normal for the fan speed to reset back to speed 1 after shutting off the car. Temp setting will hold to what ever it was set before turning off the car.
    Yes I have the auto temp A/C If the engine temp drops to below 150-ish the fan will drop to 0 or 1. When it warms up enough to please it's inner demon it will usually return to it's auto setting. However the temp will simetimes pop to 75, and AC setting. I believe this is due to occasional loss of ground as the AC Head unit was removed and replacerd with a new unit, but I broke the tricky light blue "retainer ?" at the cable hookup.

Since my AC compressor is long fried, I never set it to AC, and always keep the temp at 69 and fan at auto and select either Economy or HTR. I notice if it's changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

YES! Tony you are 100% correct, I edited the above.

What I meant was that yes the fogs can be independent like with parking lights .......duh..sorry for confusion..but

With headlamps ON the following applies:

Fog lamps go on ONLY with low beams.

Quote Originally Posted by tonylong View Post
    My 94 JP Wrangler came wired wih the fogs on ONLY with Park lights.
    I rewired to be like the vette - Park or Low Main. This was not fun since the JP wiring was designed in a tokyo opium den. What should have taken 15 minutes became a 4 beer task, and some new ^%$%$ words.

I also wired in floods at the same time (DL's are useless in a JP - it won't outrun it's own Low Beams anyway) - but 150 watt floods are awesome, and with the Fogs, and HB's, and floods I'm blasting nearly 500 watts at the A$$H013$ who won't dim their HB's. I have a hidden DP3T switch that lets me choose how nice I'm gonna be, or if I need to pass state inspection.
    Reminds me of when I had the Silverstars. Every now and then some yahhoo would think I had my highbeams on. They would put theirs on and then I'd REALLY stick it to 'em with the actual high beams!

BTW, Talk about yahoos.....There are some that turn their high beams on too SOON and blind you! ....They do it JUST as their car approaches your's instead of waiting to actually PASS you!