• Is rust an issue?
  • Is rust an issue?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Is rust an issue?

I'm interested in buying an early C4. I live in northeast Ohio where salt is used in the winter, and I have seen what it can do to a car.

Is rust an issue on these cars, and if so where? Obviously the outside panels won't rust. My searches did not locate a satisfactory answer.

Thanks
    Presently between Vettes. Read about my 75 L48: http://tiresmoke.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

yes, rust is an issue,

Check the frame

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My 1988, I think, was not taken care of before I bought it. And I believe it was kept outside in Seattle weather.

I had serious rust under the battery, which was only noticable once the side panel was removed. My glass top has an aluminum frame, and with all the white powder I see when I remove it, I assume it is rusting. I have noticed rust on the car behind its license plates. But, so far none of this has caused any problems. My only corrosion related problem is the connections in my fuse box. I have no idea how you would check that before you buy it, but I also think it would be a rare condition.

Hope these ramblings helped.
    When I bought a fixer-upper because I thought it would be fun, I had no idea how much fun it would take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Rust is always an issue for any car, I've worked on alot of C4s and found that the worst area is under the rocker panel covers and at the rear section in which the rear bumper supports is attached. The lower structure that is covered by the rockers covers tends to hold alot of dirt and moisture. The pinch weld area is is usally covered in surface rust but not rot. The area in the rear which is the rear support structure also holds alot of dirt, which when mixed with spalshes of water holds moisture and eventully starts corrosion.
    For the most part GM has used a good rust prevent coating (zinc or other compound) on all surfaces which is then primed and painted. Of course there are areas that get missed in the paint process.
    In short I've not seeen any C4 Vette with any serious rust or rot. Not that it does not exist I just have not seen any and I live in WPA lots of salt here for ice control!
    tcxd40

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep them in mind when I start looking at C4s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Rust Matters

I would look under the rear of the car as a rust indicator becuase it is easire to get under than the sides or the front.

Take the spare off and get on your back and look around. You will see if there is any problems. Check the gas tank and around the rear diff.

Also, obviously check under the hood!

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

You mean to tell me that people actually drive these cars is inclement weather?

If you read and believe what most guys say, these cars are never driven in the rain, let alone snow, so with that the case there is no need to worry about rust.

Get the car up on a lift, if you can, and look carefully at all the spots previously mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by toms94 View Post
    You mean to tell me that people actually drive these cars is inclement weather?

If you read and believe what most guys say, these cars are never driven in the rain, let alone snow, so with that the case there is no need to worry about rust.

Get the car up on a lift, if you can, and look carefully at all the spots previously mentioned.
    Actually I bought my Corvette in December. Test drove it in the light snow, and drove it home the next day in a snow storm. That story is probably best saved for a different thread, but lets just say it involves fish-tailing and a 270 on the interstate. Lots of adrenaline. Good times !

Keeping with this thread though, I too am going to inspect my car as you all describe. If I find rust (which I assume I will), how much is too much? And if it is not too much, is there anything that can be done?
    When I bought a fixer-upper because I thought it would be fun, I had no idea how much fun it would take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Any rust which could be considered rot. In other words pinch welds that no longer have any metal around them or heavy expanded rust between the pinch welds. As far as the repair, sections can be repaired by cuting and repalcing the bad area. Work should not be done by the novice. If you do find minor rust use the method of your chice to clean the area. Wire wheel, spot blasting, grinder, what ever works. Once the rust is removed apply POR 15 or rust encapsolator then paint. If painting the pinch weld area it should be body color if your a purist other wise black works fine. When painting the frame rails I find that Dupilcolor semi gloss black works well. If I'm doing a restoration I will use GM reconditioning black paint, however this stuff is very expensive and rather hard to come by these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The hood holders are another rust-prone area due to water collecting there. Be sure and check there, too.