Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1996 Black LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Front License Plate Poll

I live in a state that requires a front license plate. However, I think it is ugly! I choose to leave it off and put my 'Corvette' cover on. I see a lot of other owners that do the same. Just curious,

• How many of you folks do not put on the front plate even though it is illegal to do so where you live?
    • If you do leave it off, how much trouble do you get from the cops?

Corvette(s)
    2004 C5 coupe, MSGM & 2014 Cad SRX Crystal red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have both plates on my car. Their both on the rear, so technically I am legal. Of course, that's my interpetation. If Clinton can do it so can I.

Ain't been stopped yet. The police are pretty loose on that around here.

jonszr1

i have them both on . i just dont like giving the cops any extra reasons to pull me over, having a vet is reason enough. the chp has a mandate ,statewide to pull over and write tickets on no front plate .its not a fix it deal either , you dont get points on your record , but you wallet gets lightened 75 for the first time 200 for the second time 500 for the 3 rd time and you can get your license suspended after that.lookin pretty can be costly

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT1 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Virginia requires 2--I only have the rear--so far so good I guess. Years ago I did get grief for having a USA 1 plate on the front of my Z-28 though.

Corvette(s)
    '91 Black Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default and then some

Went a while without the front plate and then got a warning, so now its on. (I think it really takes away from the looks of the car to have it there.) However, I got a ticket in Mass. for having a tinted plate cover on the rear. I was not a happy camper about that.

Corvette(s)
    1994 Coupe Blk/blk
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

IL requires 2 plates. I used to hate front plates and paid the "front plate delete tax", or in other words - a $75 compliance ticket.

This adds up fast, so I just put the plate on the front of all my cars now. I figure that is just throwing money away with the stupid tickets.

At least with the Corvette, there is no need to drill any ugly brackets into the bumper.

Black Bart

Indiana don't require a plate on the front.
    I removed the cover and Installed a grill it really helps to keep it cool in hot weather.

Corvette(s)
    1991 blue coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Wash.state requires both plates. Though it looks ugly with the front plate I don't need the hassle of the police,thus both plates. Doug

Tin butcher

I also live in Colorado and I run a front plate. I don't want to give the police a reason to pull me over. A friend ran his C5 without a front plate until a trooper wrote him a ticket. As long as the state requires it, I will run the front plate!

Front License Plate Poll Red Vette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    08 VR Convertible 2014 TR Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Tin butcher View Post
    I also live in Colorado and I run a front plate. I don't want to give the police a reason to pull me over. A friend ran his C5 without a front plate until a trooper wrote him a ticket. As long as the state requires it, I will run the front plate!
    I also live in Colorado, and have front plates on the 02 and the 94, both encased in clear plastic covers from MAMW. Wish we didn't have the law about the front plates, but we do. It is my understanding from discussions with others that the Denver police will ticket you if you are not running front plates. Guess it depends upon the jurisdiction.
    Barrett

Corvette(s)
    1988 Dark Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Illinois also requires a front plate. I run one because like many have already said....why give the police a reason to pull you over.

At one time I had heard that the Illinois legislature was going to exempt Corvettes from the front plate requirement, but considering that they can't decide the difference between night and day I'm not holding out hope on that ever happening.

Corvette(s)
    1994 Coupe Blk/blk
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by ZumZum View Post
    Illinois also requires a front plate. I run one because like many have already said....why give the police a reason to pull you over.

At one time I had heard that the Illinois legislature was going to exempt Corvettes from the front plate requirement, but considering that they can't decide the difference between night and day I'm not holding out hope on that ever happening.
    That's true. Corvette owners would have to purchase a special plate and pay extra. I think this posed a problem because it discriminates. So, no luck on that one passing.

Corvette(s)
    1996 Black LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for everyone's reply. I know this isn't the topic of the century but I've always wondered about other peoples experiences with the police when it comes to front plates. I've run without a front plate for the last four years without trouble. I was even pulled over once in Southern Colorado for doing 71 in a 65. The cop was driving a Z28. He didn't give me a ticket or anything, he just said he needed to tell his boss he was doing something all day. He also told me I should "get a medal for only driving 71 in this car" and he would only write me a ticket if I was going 78 or more. He said nothing about the front plate. This cop is certainly the exception and not the rule for most of my experiences with law enforcement. I've just been lucky so far.

I see a number of folks are concerned about giving the police a reason to pull them over. That implies they feel the police are just looking for any reason whatsoever to pull them over. Do the police have probable cause to pull us over with no front plate? Yes. Do they likewise have discretion to leave us alone if our only violation is no front plate? Yes. Do we feel the police exercise their discretion in a responsible way that considers the freedoms of everyday, law abiding citizens? Most of the time, NO!

We want to leave the front plate off because it is just plain ugly on a Corvette. We all know that and so do the police. They know we are not out to commit a crime but just enjoying the benefits of owning and driving such a fine piece of American ingenuity. We are enthusiast, not criminals. In spite of our well understood intentions, they instead use it as a reason to pull us over, delay us from our destination, trash talk us, look for other things they might cite us for and ultimately get money out of our wallets (as if we don't already pay too much tax). This is a sad state of affairs. Why should we fear the police? Is America slowly becoming a police state?

After reviewing all your comments and considering the current attitudes of most law enforcement officers, I've decided to allow the state to interfere with my enjoyment and put the front plate back on my Corvette. I too fear the police because they have way too much power and many abuse it. Our freedoms are slowly being stripped away.

Sorry about the rant and I invite your comments.

Corvette(s)
    1984 Z51 Silver/Gray & as Much SS & CFibre we find
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Guitared...rant away...but you're preaching to the choir here!

I have seen people put their plate on the dash before but dont know if that would actually legally comply and might vary state to state. Odds are you'd be harrassed anyway.

Thankfully PA is still a "back plate state" but with the influence of nearby NewYork and NewJermany who knows what the future holds

Corvette(s)
    04 Med spiral gray Vert/95 comp yellow Vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

CA requires a front plate but I run the rear only on my C4 and C5.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast