Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    81 4 speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi,

Just jumped over from the C3 page and hav`nt posted here before but as I like all vettes I thought you might be interested in this.

I just saw a program on the satellite on the story behind the modern supercar and enevitably it came around to Corvettes. I was expexting to see the standerd issue Callaway story but instead they showcased a ZR1 and a C5 that had been modified by Lingenfelter. The ZR1 ripped past with the radar gun showing 218mph.I did`nt know that these people were into vettes in such a big way. The show also had this other crazy guy in a vette at an open road race somewhere in TX I think. They had a camera inside the car when it blew out a front tyre at over 200mph. The shredded remains tore off the whole front wing but the guy calmly slowed up and just pulled to the side of the road as if nothing happened.

Do`s anyone know if any of this stuff is available on video ?

J.

ArtZR1991

No, I don't know about it on video, but I know about the Lingenfelter ZR1's and vettes. Thanks for sharing the story.
    A recent mag article compared the "tuner aftermarket" super cars, including two Vipers and one older (19940 Lingenfelter ZR-1, and the ZR won every category they tested, except 0-60, where it shared first.
    I'm going to find the article and post it.

Corvette(s)
    '90 ZR-1 #365 (SOLD...but Dad's got it now)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That's funny you mentioned that 218mph. I just heard something about that car today. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that same car that did 218mph the car that won the 0-150-0 contest a few years back?? If it is, check out Lingenfelter's site.....there's a story about it there(I heard...)

Jay

Corvette(s)
    81 4 speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Art,

I would appreciate if you find the atricle and post it or possibly e-mail it to me. I`d be interested to read it. I recently read about a group of corvette guys that met up with some viper owners for a shoot out and the vettes won hands down. Something to do with the Hennesy vipers busting there axles ?? I have it some where so I will also find it and get it to you.

JT,

Thanks I will check out the Lingenfelter site.

Cheers
    J.

USA ZR1

The 0-150-0 winner belonged to a doctor in Florida. It might be in Texas now. The yellow 218mph ZR-1 is John Lingenfelter's personal car. It now has a twin-turbo 368" built by LPE.(of course) The 415" out of that car was sold to SW in Texas.
    Clint Hooper
    LT5 Registry
    http://www.lt5registry.com/

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey Clint.......would you mind sending me some pics of your car? I would appreciate it....it keeps my blood flowin'

Jay

jtrager@tampabay.rr.com

ArtZR1991

Yes, I will post or e mail the article. The 0-150-0 shootout was actually in 1999. The ZR1 was 5 years old at the time, but the conversion was about a year old. That very car is for sale ($75K) on Lingenfelter's site right now.

About the article... I have scanned it, but I am going to try to reduce the file size a bit. Should have it tonight, tommorrow at the latest.

USA ZR1

JT ZR-WON; you have mail.
    Art,would you please send me the article,if it's not too much trouble. I would love to post it on our new website.
    Clint Hooper
    LT5 Registry

ArtZR1991

here it is,

http://www.greatvettes.org/zr1today.htm

Clint, i'll mail you the complete article, but that's just for completeness. the important stuff is here.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thumbs up WOW!!

Clint, you have one awesome machine! I have actually seen your car before at the May '99 ZR-1 gathering. Very impressive. Aren't those the discontinued 18in. OZ's?? Very nice. Thanks for the pic's

Jay

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default going fast

In reference to the open road races, there are 2 held in Nevada each year. I'm not sure about the dates. These things are wild. Lots of real fast Vettes I think the course is 90 miles and they are broken down into max speed classes. Tom
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige

Corvette(s)
    81 4 speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for all the info.
    J.

USA ZR1

JT ZR-WON;I thought my 18" OZ Mitos had been discontinued but I talked to OZ yesterday and the Mitos are still available. If I can afford it,I'm going to have them build me a pair of 18x13 Mitos for my car. My next rear tires are going to be Michelin Pilot Sport 345/35/18's.
    Clint Hooper
    LT5 Registry

Corvette(s)
    81 4 speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Art,

Hi, is there any chance you could send me a couple of pictures of your Cobra. It looks like a neat car.

Thanks in advance
    J.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Originally posted by USA ZR1
    JT ZR-WON;I thought my 18" OZ Mitos had been discontinued but I talked to OZ yesterday and the Mitos are still available.
    Clint, hopefully they're still available 'cause that is one of the baddest wheels made for the vette! I heard they were discontinued a couple of years ago......but I'm not sure how reliable my source was for that info. Just for the heck of it, if you do find them I'd like to know where

Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast