Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    90 Red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default driving on 12+ year old tires

I need to put my stock 90 rims back on the king for Carlisle, and unfortunitly take off the chrome 5 stars I have now. :( I was trying to work on a way that I could take them with me to Carlisle and change them when I got there but that isn't going to happen. Just like the trailer I was working on to get the car up there.

Now to the question. I could just take the tires off the chrome rims as I will need new ones soon anyway, and put them on the 90 rims and go with that. But it would be kinda cool to be able to say that I have to original tires on my ZR-1 at Carlisle. The only thing is they are 12+ years old. I havn't drven on them in 4 years. They are stored out of the sun and everything so I don't think they have dry rotted. Im worried that they are now rock hard and not safe to drive on. My drive to Carlisle is an easy one. 2.5-3 hrs up the PA Turnpike. Not many bends or anything.

So what do you guys/gals think, Switch tires or go for the stock 12 year old orginals? Both are Goodyears.

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hmmmmm.....I don't think I'd worry to much about the Skatorbacks.....just becareful if you run into rain.

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

78SilvAnniv

Default 12 years?

I'm not so sure I'd trust them, without a detailed inspection...it does sound like you've stored them properly.

If you do decide to use them, drive slow, and no 'hot-doggin'...just in case.
    Sil

driving on 12+ year old tires 6 Shooter's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    Carbon Flash CE 4LT GS Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Keep the the chrome 5 stars on

Corvette(s)
    90 Red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Wish I could but I can't. Im in the evolution display and the car has to be 100% stock. So off come the rims

driving on 12+ year old tires Vettelt193's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    none right now :(
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

keep the gatorbacks... it will be that much better that you have the orginal rims and tires while in the show... I would take them out and give them a good coating of silicon tire spray, let it soak in for a day or so... that should help the flexibility of the tire, and help them stay together for the trip.

Corvette(s)
    1984 White Z-51/ZF6-40/Shinoda body
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Try 'em now

You have some time. Why not do the change now; drive around some and see how they feel and look upon post drive inspection

I have 8 year old tires on my motorhome, with cracks in the sidewalls from sun, and they are fine. One, in the know, told me that structurally, the cracks matter not.

I'd like to know the 'truth' about tire sprays, having been told everything from cosmetic to damaging, as the chemicals draw the natural oils or whatever from the tires. Anyone have a technical article?

If the test drives go well, I'd not be concerned with such a short drive. I'd be more afraid of the other drivers! :blow

God, how I :love those smilies. :bow They're and free and high-order entertainment! I don't need much.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I read all positives about the silcon tire sprays... I have used 'Tire Wet', now I am using 'Wet'. I used them every couple of washes on my '93, and the tires had no cracks, dry rot, etc... I also sprayed the whole tire, not just the sides.... wheh I sold the car I had 35k miles on the tires (Goodyear), and I could have easily had 50k miles out of them... The silcon treatments seem to keep the tires flexible... also, that car was mostly kept outside.

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Originally posted by Vettelt193
    keep the gatorbacks... it will be that much better that you have the orginal rims and tires while in the show... I would take them out and give them a good coating of silicon tire spray, let it soak in for a day or so... that should help the flexibility of the tire, and help them stay together for the trip.
    Since we're on the topic of tire storage, we have a technical article here at the CAC:

Tire Storage Recommendations

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

it always seems like the tire manufacturers are unwilling to commit to any kind of tire treatment... They never tell you not to use it, and never tell you that it is good to use it. Is this some sort of strategy to confuse the customer?

FrogindaBlender

Okay I got it. I think. Wait. What about unmounting and mounting. The car I bought came with the original tires but they are on 95 rims. The owner had the original rims with the deal and I want to store the originals with the rims as I put new rubber on the car. As of this moment I have not decided which rim will go one the car but I am leaning to the 95s. I was wanting to then mount the old stuff on the originals and store them mounted. Whats your opinion.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I think the '95 wheels look much better than the '91 wheels... Stick with them... You can get a new set of tires from tire rack http:\\www.tirerack.com for a pretty good price anyway

Corvette(s)
    Varies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

FWIW, when the rubber is that old, cold weather and rain/snow conditions can be treacherous. Warm/dry shouldn't be nearly so bad. I had tires that old on a C4.

driving on 12+ year old tires Eric's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    71 Conv. (Sold) / 98 Pewter Coupe (Sold)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I know you're already on your way to Carlisle but I suppose you can read this when you get back. When I bought the shark it had Dunlop GT Qs which were showing dry rot all around as the car sat for the better part of 10 years. I drove the heck out of them for almost a year and never had a single problem. But, whew, those things were slippery.

- Eric

Corvette(s)
    1988 c4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default so what did you do with your tires? (2002 post)

Did you drive em to the show?

Quote Originally Posted by 90 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
    I need to put my stock 90 rims back on the king for Carlisle, and unfortunitly take off the chrome 5 stars I have now. I was trying to work on a way that I could take them with me to Carlisle and change them when I got there but that isn't going to happen. Just like the trailer I was working on to get the car up there.

Now to the question. I could just take the tires off the chrome rims as I will need new ones soon anyway, and put them on the 90 rims and go with that. But it would be kinda cool to be able to say that I have to original tires on my ZR-1 at Carlisle. The only thing is they are 12+ years old. I havn't drven on them in 4 years. They are stored out of the sun and everything so I don't think they have dry rotted. Im worried that they are now rock hard and not safe to drive on. My drive to Carlisle is an easy one. 2.5-3 hrs up the PA Turnpike. Not many bends or anything.

So what do you guys/gals think, Switch tires or go for the stock 12 year old orginals? Both are Goodyears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast