• LT5 Durability, how are they holding up after 16 to 21 years?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    1991 Corvette ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by JT ZR-Won View Post
    After 22yrs and 44,7xx miles later, my Dad's LT-5 can still balance a nickle on it's side on idle

Jay
    I totally agree with Jay. Can do the same with my '91 ZR-1. Probably the most fun-to-drive Corvettes I have ever had...or driven...!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 4CAM LT5 View Post
    I totally agree with Jay. Can do the same with my '91 ZR-1. Probably the most fun-to-drive Corvettes I have ever had...or driven...!!
    Still thinking about making a brief pit stop on a C4 ZR1. Probably go for a 93 to 94, IF I can get my hands on one.

Corvette(s)
    1991 Corvette ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeDr View Post
    Still thinking about making a brief pit stop on a C4 ZR1. Probably go for a 93 to 94, IF I can get my hands on one.

You'll be glad you did it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 93Rubie View Post
    I just finished reading my (new to me) copy of The Heart of the Beast by Anthony Young. Awesome book. Like Dave McLellan's book Corvette From the Inside, it left me with more questions than I had before I started reading the book. That being said, to all ZR-1 owners or former owners, how is the LT5 engine holding up as it is at least 16 to 21 years old. I mean yes, the engine mechanically is extremely durable I learned that. How are things like oil leaks, seals, gaskets, etc...holding up? Are the valve springs still good at 20 years old?

Also, I understand some LT5 parts are hard to find but not impossible, that being said, I would assume owning a LT5 could potentially be an expensive proposition?

By the way, I'll take a 93 ZR-1 in Ruby Red please...hahaha...maybe someday. Although, I did see one very nice 92 that had a Marc H. 485 package on it for about 20K in VERY nice shape.

To Hib Halverson, if you read this, did you ever get those Z07 springs and bars on your ZR-1? If you did, how does it handle now?

P.S. I'd like to see the new C6 ZR1 try to beat the C4 ZR-1's 24hr+ endurance record using a production crate engine and mostly stock car like the C4 did. I doubt it could. Nothing against the C6 ZR1 but for me it seems that it never had (has) the same fanfare, legacy, reputation, and enthusiasm as what seemed to be present when the C4 ZR-1 came out. (I was like 3 in 1990 so I'll have to let the history books be my guide on this.) I've seen a couple C6 ZR1's but never a C4 ZR-1.
    Well I have one, you're welcome to come see it. I have a couple of problems with mine, the flywheel is one, which I've found, the other is a kind of dieseling sound when I accelerate. A good mechanic said it may be a timing issue, I hope so.. but no one works on them.. at least the dealerships. Outside of that I've got 40k miles on it , interior near perfect.. would appreciate any input..

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Tojh245 View Post
    Well I have one, you're welcome to come see it. I have a couple of problems with mine, the flywheel is one, which I've found, the other is a kind of dieseling sound when I accelerate. A good mechanic said it may be a timing issue, I hope so.. but no one works on them.. at least the dealerships. Outside of that I've got 40k miles on it , interior near perfect.. would appreciate any input..

Marc Haibeck and Pete are in your back yard. Any good mechanic can replace the flywheel. We can get very good deals on Fizanza alum flywheels. The "diesel" sound you are talking about is likely from the flywheel causing gear rattle.

At high loads and low rpms you can get a kack kack kack rattle. Unfortunately with the lightweight flywheel the car DOES get more noisey with that type of rattle at idle and low speeds.

Stock dual mass are also available but pricey.

As for my old Lingenfelter Special Vehicle (LSV) the 390 has just over 101k miles on her. Near as I can tell the car was build at 18k miles so I have 83k miles on the LPE build. Still puts down over 500 at the tires, and a smile on my face.

The LT5 is one of the most reliable high performance engines out there as long as you don't floor it dead cold
    President ZR-1 Net Registry
    95 ZR-1, Lingenfelter Super Vette (508 RWHP)
    2003 Z06 Twin Turbo (796 RWHP)
    www.zr1netregistry.com
    Likes GRANDSPORT liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12